MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple Butter - Water Bath Canned

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was the first time I ever did apple butter. It worked out really well. Now I am going to have the extended family taste test to see if it passes there seal of approval. THANKS for the great instructions. I need them, being pretty new to canning I can use all the help I can get.

• 4 months later...

I can't believe the instructions...I feel like I just enter canning for dummies...Thank you so much...Your time and patience is greatly appreciated...

Right now I have macs and Granny's ripe....I do have an apple orchard less than 2000 feet down the road and we do trade him veggies for apples so if you had your choice of any apple, which apple would you use for applebutter?

• 1 year later...

Okay, so I am behind the times. Actually it just seems like I take my applesauce (homemade with sugar and cinnamon) and cook it down until nice and thick and then process. Does that sound right? I have LOTS of fresh apples to use up and a hubby that likes apple butter.

HappyCamper. I am in upstate NY and I believe our local apple orchards only grow Cortlands? I can get them easily for about a dollar a pound so applesauce and apple butter are July's sweet canning I think, along with other fruit jam I hope. Whatever these apples are, they are soft and yellowish inside and make superb applesauce so would be good for the apple butter. I love apple butter!

Edited by arby
  • 9 months later...

Butter is grease, apple butter is smashed apples, spices and sugar.

Okay I'm about to sound stupid here since I'm clueless, but I thought you said in the other forum that you aren' t supposed to can butter. How is apple butter different so that it can be canned?

When in question, you can look at the ingredients. Like Leah said, butter is an oil base and the apple butter is just apples, sugar and spices. It just spreads like a butter per se, which might be why someone long ago named it 'apple butter'.