MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Getting rid of stuff

Bookworm

I've been trying to declutter and be more organized for a long time now and it just isn't happening. When I put out one fire there's 10 more right behind it. So, I've made the decision to just start tossing "stuff". There are books and other items still in boxes from our move last January! I have a linen closet that is overflowing because of disorganization and too much stuff so that's going to be tossed too. I'm not going to throw things in the garbage if they can be used by someone else but papers, old greeting cards, etc. have to go. Pray for me as I let go of the chaos and clutter 'cause sometimes it's hard to toss things or give it away when you think of items or "stuff" in terms of how much money was spent to acquire it.

I need to have more peace in this house and it ain't gonna happen with this clutter that I keep moving around and picking up and I think we'll all be happier if mama's happier - right?!

Thanks for letting me vent a little!

I JUST went through this with the inspection. We moved in to this apartment Oct. 6, baby born Oct 12, grandma died Nov 5, dad died Nov 12. So most everything just got shoved somewhere to get it out of the way and have a semblance of clean. When I was getting ready for the inspection I threw a LOT of stuff out. It was hard. I will definitely be praying for you during this time. I am much happier with everything now, if that makes you feel any better LOL.

Mo7

I have been in the declutter mood myself,I have let the house go way too long. So I am going thru stuff now, boy does it feel good to get rid of junk. And I have lots of it. But I will work on it a little at a time, as I work also. good luck everyone.

It's really hard but it makes such a difference. I have to go through it all again, as we are prodigious collectors of all interesting stuff from rocks, to sticks, shells etc. The kids are forever adding things. So one in awhile we need to purge all the stuff that isn't considered priceless treasure. The rocks have gained a home in my garden around the edge

I just joined free cycle so that I could get rid of a bunch of my "junk". Funny thing about books, when I was making a list for the game in the edge...my grandson started to cry when I said there wasn't any room for books...so I included a set of encylopedias to keep him happy and just to give everyone something to read if we got snowed in. Every bookcase in the house is full, but there are so many reference books that I would still just love to have, thank God for libraries.

Anyone check out paperbackswap.com? I have about 70 books listed right now. It's cool because if people want any of your books, you send them (you pay for shipping) and when they are received, you get a credit and can request any book in the system. There are over 700,000 books listed! So technically, I'm not getting rid of books this way, I am still getting rid of the ones I'm not interested in reading and the ones I know I'll never read again, and I can get ones I've been looking for (I've received 5 or 6 of the Piers books I've been after so far).

Another site linked to that is swapacd.com, and you can transfer credits, so it works out pretty good. I LOVE music and books!

So much cheaper than buying more stuff!

I know what you mean about other people's things. My sons are in the Navy and I have their things. They still have a little over two years to go, so I'm kind of stuck with storing until then. When they come in to visit, I don't feel like having them sort stuff.

The hardest things in the world for me to get rid of are books and my daughter's past schoolwork. We're homeschoolers, so I have all her work from k-4 to the present (she's in the 11th grade now). Boxes and boxes of books and papers...but so hard to part with. I did cull my bookcases recently (not that you can tell by looking at them, lol) but that just created more boxes full of books, because I still haven't gotten rid of them.. 0008.gif

Quote:
The bumper-pad from the baby crib - I have no use for it but I don't want to get rid of it. I sealed up little clothes and special toys from the first years. So I'm still a packrat. Just a more sentimental one!

I have one cedar chest that is 'sentimental value' only! Have baby blankets from each of my kids and 'special' little clothes and toys, DD ballet slippers (from 4-10 yrs old), DSs' rocket football jerseys, special school art projects, etc, etc. I even have 2 of my baby blankets and my first baby dress that my DM had kept for me. So, eventually, I do plan on giving these 'treasures' to my children when I know they are settled and responsible enough to take care of them.
Quote:
Just so those who don't know about flylady make it to her site it's www.flylady.net not.com

I love her, she's helped me in more ways than I can count and her encouragement is such a positive comfort to me

I love her too. Been a member for 6 years. Our home is no longer in chaos because of her site.
Stacy

I have been trying to get organized since we moved. I have built in bookcases in our new house so I have a lot more room for books. It is hard to keep organized. I find that my family has the habit of leaving stuff laying around. It made my house look cluttered so no I keep a shoebox and anything laying around goes into the shoebox. I finally came up with a system that works on getting eveyone to pitch in with the housework. I made a list of daily and weekly chores. Each person has an assigned color and when they do a chore they mark it off. Now I know who is doing what, and what has been done. Two other websites I have found helpful are realsimple.com and organizedhome.com

Since we moved here in the spring, I have had a "philosophy", a home for everything and everything in it's home!! That worked for a while, but now, even with all the extra room, I'm starting to run out of "homes".

Four years of living in severely cramped space helped me get rid of a LOT. Now, I feel I just need to organize what we do have...

Having a class room this year has made a huge difference. Now, all home school stuff is there and out of our living space. It's really worked great for us.

Stephanie

I've been cleaning things out at my mom's in preparation for selling her place! I took 460 pounds of stuff to the dump Fri and filled the trash can today. I have another big pile waiting for disposal. She has finally concluded that if she doesn't even recognize the stuff or know what it is for, it should go away. We are salvaging stuff like copper pipe though for recycling for $$$.

Archived