MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kitchen explosion!

Jewlzm

Ok.. I know many of you know that I have managed to start a fire in each kitchen in each house where I have lived. (small fires no fire department) But did you know I can apparently also make Pyrex blow up!

Note to self --- Do not leave Pyrex cake pan on top of the stove turn on wrong burner and walk away! It sounded like a brick got thrown through my kitchen window. Glass was everywhere!

The lunch I was preparing had to be put into the trash. It had glass in it. All the glasses of milk on the table had to be dumped. I had glass from the door to the garage all the way through the kitchen to the door in the entry way. Luckily no one was in the kitchen at the time.

Wow.. I learn something new all the time!

I'm so glad no one was hurt! I'm sorry your entire meal was ruined.

I'm bad about blowing up stuff in the microwave but it just makes a sticky mess inside the microwave! Note: Hot dogs do not need four minutes to cook in a microwave! Nasty mess! I've blown up chili recently too. It was gross. But you gotta learn by trying!

Just another warning: Do NOT pour even very hot water into a oven-hot pyrex. With the old pyrex, it was ok. I was bending over w/ my head in the oven to do this. Squash I was roasting had run out of water. (might make a difference if there had been some water) Exploded in my face. God was merciful. I didn't KNOW I was doing something DUM. :-} I only got cut by one peice - a very tiny scratch close to my eye. But what COULD have happened scared me plenty. And yep, glass a-l-l o-v-e-r everywhere. :-{ I was so irritated that I slamed the door shut and cooked someting else. I dealt with cleanup the next day when it all cooled off.

MtRider

Well I've never blown up pyrex, but I have also managed to set fire to every single kitchen I've had-like Jewlz, small fires, no FD. DH calls it "christening" the kitchen LOL. It's not properly christened until I set fire to it. The one in our home now was THREE DAYS after we moved in LOL. Don't remember how I did it, but I did.

Crock pots-dont pour hot water over frozen meat in the crock, LOL. did you know it's cheaper to buy a whole new crock pot than to order and have shipped a new crock? rofl.

Let's see, what else have I done? Don't cook pinto beans in cheap non stick cookware. My first cook ware set was el cheapo (Dollar store, $10), and the beans turned PURPLE from the non stick stuff coming off cause they were cooked at high heat.

Don't leave your griddle plugged in on the counter next to the sink while doing dishes. Minor electrocution.

Don't pull the mixers out of the batter while they are still on.

Don't try to mash potatoes in the blender (for baby food). A big gooey ball results.

Don't try to rescue the cookie sheet you're pulling out of the oven with the hand that doesn't have the oven mitt on it.

I'm sure I can think of others LOL.

Mo7

I had a girlfriend that had really long hair. We were about 14 and she was mixing something and did not pull her hair back. Yup, you got it, the mixer beaters grabbed her hair all the way up to her scalp. She had like delayed reaction so I ran over and pulled the plug. We then untangled as much as we could and had to cut the rest, like up to her ears!! I look back now and see the shocked look on her face and I can't help but laugh, but it could have really hurt her had I not been there. lol

While I have had my share of kitchen mishaps, one of my distant cousins wins the prize. He was lighting alcohol vapors in a bottle. His parents told him to stop, then left. He figured one more time can't hurt anything.

But first...he put a potato in the microwave for 99:99, figuring he'd get it when it was done.

so, he goes back, lights the vapors again, knocks over the bottle, catches the table cloth on fire. He finally gets that put out, then realizes...something's burning. Big time.

Shorted out the microwave.

Don't put things in the microwave for 99:99, something will always go wrong.

DSis did have a fire in the kitchen that involved the fire department. She was 18, newly married, living in a small apartment above a house and making Thanksgiving dinner. Didn't have a roasting pan-so she put the turkey in a cake pan. Big enough for the turkey, but not big enough for all the grease that cooks out of the turkey. Yep! Grease fire in the oven. Got worse when she tried to put it out with water! nonono!

So, we have all sorts of jokes about DSis inviting over the whole fire department for her first Thanksgiving!

• 2 years later...

My sweet hubby gifted me with a beautiful hand thrown potty cake plate one year. Guess who set it on the stove and turned on the wrong burner... :(

I have a couple of warped cast iron pans from the same mistake. :(

But then there was my MIL:

The year we were engaged, she decided that we needed to have a proper whole family meal on Christmas eve so we could all get to knoweach other. Now you gotta know that my MIL does not do anything in a small way - she had the table beautifully set with linen and crystal. It was gorgious! Everything was perfect, right down to the silk poinsettia centerpiece.

My folks are pretty simple. Mom was amazed at the effort MIL had gone to end, frankly, embarrassed by it. She was pretty quiet all evening.

So, the appitizers had disappeared and the chit-chat had dwindled. MIL decides it is time to serve her beautiful meal, but first she sets the tone by lighting the candles on the center piece. Then she set about presiding like a queen over our meal. Mom still hadn't said more then what was necessary to be polite. Then I felt a little nudge... and another little nudge...and finally in a quiet voice Mom says

"Should the flowers be burning like that?"

By the time she'd spoken up the polyester in those poinsettias had REALLY ignited! - WHOOSH! -

DH never batted an eye, he just picked up his water glass and doused the flames, removed the smoldering remains, Told his mom that the table cloth got scortched too, and returned to his turkey.

Mom told me later that she came two very important conclusions that night. 1) That Dh had a very level head, and 2) He needed it with a flakey mother like that!

What? No exploding egg stories yet?

An unattended pot full of eggs simmering on the stove + general busyness = recipe for disaster.

When all the water in the pot boils down to nothingness and the completely scorched eggs start exploding, it will fling hot egg bits ALL OVER the kitchen like miniature Weapons of Mass Destruction... on the ceiling, the walls, the cabinets, everywhere! And that clinging, permeating, nauseating SMELL! 'tis like a thousand farts... *gasp* Not good when company's coming soon!

I learned my lesson about water and Pyrex about 20 years ago. I had to go to the store and had left my EX-dh in charge of putting the chicken in to bake. I had asked him to put 1/4 inch of water in the bottom so I could catch the juices and make gravy, since he insisted on rice and gravy every night of the week. I got home and the chicken was dutifully in the oven, without the water. My ex-dh said it'd only been in there for about 5 minutes. I very stupidly ran hot water from the tap into a large measuring cup, opened the door, poured and had an explosion! Glass hit my foot and I must say it was very hot. I didn't feel the cuts. I was so mad! Thankfully I learned my lesson and no, I no longer add water to the bottom. I was a new cook -in training-. :)

I've only nearly burned the house down once but I have an excuse!!! I have no sense of smell. I was young and a new cook. I put something in the oven on broil and left the room...and forgot about it...for a very long time. I can back upstairs just when the smoke detector started working which doesn't say much since the whole house was full of thick black smoke.

I have become very paranoid since then. No leaving the kitchen when things are on broil :) I now have 6 smoke detectors in a very small house!

Now I am really glad I dont have any pyrex at this time. lol..... some of you ladies are dangerous in the kitchen. But I admit to burning a kitchen towel on a burner recently.... or something like that , just wasnt thinking and remembering the rule to never put anything flammable on a burner even if I think its cold! ( Wrong burner syndrome as well...... duh!)... :blush:

What? No exploding egg stories yet?

An unattended pot full of eggs simmering on the stove + general busyness = recipe for disaster.

When all the water in the pot boils down to nothingness and the completely scorched eggs start exploding, it will fling hot egg bits ALL OVER the kitchen like miniature Weapons of Mass Destruction... on the ceiling, the walls, the cabinets, everywhere! And that clinging, permeating, nauseating SMELL! 'tis like a thousand farts... *gasp* Not good when company's coming soon!

Oh my, I almost peed my pants on this one! :24:

No stories here about exploding pyrex...I've dropped one or two, though.

No fires either...Well, except as a kid and then it wasn't my fault...dad had spilled BBQ sauce & chicken grease on the bottom of the oven and forgot about it - until my cousin and I went to bake cookies. (We were about 10.) When we opened the oven, it went WHOOOSH. I screamed at my cousin to get our sisters and the dog out and then proceeded to empty a small fire extinguisher into the oven because the baking soda was UP HIGH and I couldn't reach it...the fire extinguisher was very close.

My parents came home seconds later to find the little sisters outside with the dog...saying "We're SO glad you're home they told us to get out because the kitchen was on fire." My parents came in to find my cousin and I hugging each other and the fire extinguisher in the kitchen, white stuff EVERYWHERE...smoke still in the air, but the fire was OUT. Dad felt so guilty...We did think quickly ...

The only other explosion I've had in the kitchen was due to my own inexperience with a pressure cooker. I ended up with potatoes vented all over the ceiling, the window, the curtains...landing PLOP in my hair...I didn't have potatoes for supper that night.

Archived