MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Daylight Savings TIme

In Aug. 2005, Congress passed an energy bill that included extending Daylight Saving Time by about a month. Beginning in 2007, Daylight Savings Time (DST) will start the second Sunday of March and end on the first Sunday of November.

In spring, move clocks forward one hour. (Spring Up)

In fall, turn clocks backward one hour. (Fall Back)

DST Start and End date changes beginning March 2007

DST Begins 2 a.m. DST Ends 2 a.m.

(Second Sunday in March) (First Sunday in November)

Year

2007 March 11.................November 4

2008 March 9...................November 2

2009 March 8...................November 1

2010 March 14.................November 7

2011 March 13.................November 6

2012 March 11.................November 4

2013 March 10.................November 3

2014 March 9...................November 2

2015 March 8...................November 1

**** Every Fall don’t forget to change all batteries in everything that needs them! Remote controls, clocks, flashlights but pay special attention to Fire Alarms and Smoke Detectors!!!! Fall is a good time as it is darker earlier, people are using their ovens more, the heater is on, and then there are the Christmas lights on trees and candles.

I'm soooooo glad we don't do daylight savings time here. I've lived in other states and you know what? It didn't save me a darn bit of daylight! I still only had a 24 hour day.

The human body produces a hormone called melanin. This hormone determines the body’s level of alertness. When the body is in a darkened environment, it produces melanin which makes a person feel sleepy. When the body is in a light-filled environment, melanin production stops and the body wakes up. Due to the shortened amount of daylight that comes in the winter some people suffer from Seasonal Affected Depression Disorder that is essentially triggered by too much melanin production. During the winter months we often have to be out and about by 8:00 am, when it is just barely daylight for many locations in the U.S. The resulting sleepiness leads to higher rates of auto accidents, lower rates of school performance and poor job performance.

A commonly prescribed treatment for SADD is to spend time under intense artificial light that is meant to simulate natural daylight. But, wouldn’t it be easier to simply have more morning daylight during the winter?

I don’t know what it is called in Britain, but in America tomorrow we start daylight savings time.

I absolutely despise daylight savings time and I propose an alternative: Seasonal Affected Depression Disorder Abatement Time.

1. Make a one-time adjustment to civil time, either move the clocks forward on the winter solstice or backwards on the summer solstice. The amount of the adjustment could be something like 75 minutes either way.

2. Move clocks ahead by 4 minutes each week between the winter solstice and the summer solstice each year.

3. Move clocks back by 4 minuets each week between the summer solstice and winter solstice each year.

The objective is to place sunrise on the winter solstice as close to 7:00 am for as many geographic locations as possible (at least within the U.S.). This way people will have an opportunity to fully wake-up before they have to face the world. The difference between the time of sunrise for each solstice would be about the same as it is now with daylight savings time. With today’s digital technology and self-setting clocks, making the weekly adjustment would not be that big a deal.

The original House bill would have added two full months, one in the spring and another in the fall. According to some U.S. senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock, and airline officials said it would have complicated scheduling of international flights. So, a compromise was worked out to start DST on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November.

We have an argument going on in this state that the state should have daylight savings - not for the daytime factor, but to keep the same time zones as other states. If people want to adjust their day factor, they are quite capable of adjusting their own clocks! or just start the day earlier. No matter what the clock says dawn will still be dawn and dusk will still be dusk.

Sue

I'm not sure that the way we set our clocks would affect full-time farmers so much. But if one has to 'do chores' before leaving for a regular, on-the-clock job, chores would have to be done an hour earlier. Ready or not ladies - it's time to give milk! (the cows)

I routinely go down to do PM feeding at a time that means I will finish just before dark. Right now that means 4:30pm. Mid-summer, it means nearly 8:30pm --- & I dare not go down there till the heat has cooled to a safe level for me as the sun sets. But because it is so gradual (except those 2X/yr bumps) the animals adapt. And I'm not scheduled to be anywhere else on a clock.

MtRider

• 2 months later...

I think we should set all the clocks thirty minutes in between the fall and spring re-adjusting times and leave them alone! Split the difference! I can't stand resetting the clocks. I never can remember how to set the one in the jeep. Or the one by the bed. Can't reach the one in the kitchen without a stepstool. Need to break the one in the living room . Oh the projects that need to be done!

• 2 months later...

DST started to help save electricity during WWI. Now I think it is used as an excuse to try and squeeze 36 hours into a 24 hour day.

Originally Posted By: mistylady
I think we should set all the clocks thirty minutes in between the fall and spring re-adjusting times and leave them alone! Split the difference! I can't stand resetting the clocks. I never can remember how to set the one in the jeep. Or the one by the bed. Can't reach the one in the kitchen without a stepstool. Need to break the one in the living room . Oh the projects that need to be done!

I have been saying that along. Tell me what farmer uses an alarm clock? All the farmers I know get up when the rooster crows and goes to bed when the cows come home. My favorite farmer (he lets me have extras in my baskets) doesn't even wear a watch.
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

HI Alan, nice to see you on. I was just reading some of your great info yesterday. Was trying to find how long Peanut Butter would store.

Oh, and I agree with you about the clock. It dictates to us enough with out messing it up.

bighug