MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Saying goodbye again...

Cat

I just got back from saying goodbye to our dog. We had to take her to be put "to sleep" tonight.

This is the sweetie that I told about *way* back in late '99... when we found out she had contracted heartworm, and it would've cost nearly $500 for a 50-50 chance of recovery.

It was when we were going through an extremely difficult time financially, and we just couldn't do it. Somebody here (a newbie) wanted to have everyone send us money to have it done, but I declined. The dog was also having epileptic-like short seizures. The lady might have been really disappointed in me, but I just couldn't accept it.

Well, despite the vet's telling us she didn't have long to live, she survived a long time, with a good quality of life. She's been slowing down, but it was only in the last couple of weeks it was seriously noticeable.

She has been staying in her doghouse for two days. Her hind legs appeared to be paralyzed (though she moved one at the vet's tonight). Her abdomen was swollen, and she was just *tired*. It was time; I just had to let her go.

I cuddled with her in the back of the van. She raised her head, still excited to be "going bye-bye", and wanting to SEE. We stayed with her to the end.

They made us a paw print in "Sculpy" to take home.

I like to believe that she's running free in a better place, maybe visiting with my Dad... they always had a special bond.

Give your dog an extra hug from me tonight...

Dearest Cat,

What a hard decision to make. My heart aches for you and yours. What you said about her running free and being with your Dad was so touching and such a good image.

I wish I was there to throw an arm around you and hug you buddy. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

((((Cat))))) I'm so sorry for this pain you and yours are going thru at this time. You are in mourning and do allow yourself this time. Losing a beloved friend is a huge loss!

It has been a bit over a year since we had to put our beloved golden of 12 years down. We have hopes of getting another puppy sometime down the road but only when the time and opportunity is perfect, this futuristic pup will have quite the "paws" to fill in our hearts of our family.

Snow had posted here some really wonderful poems and stories about losing our beloved dogs, they brought my saddened heart great peace!

I'm sorry you had to lose your 4legged friend. I hope you will be able to adopt another loving companion in the future. I know I will be devastated when either of our dogs die.

Cat, I'm so very sorry. I know your pain. Our furballs are like children. The site Snowmom quoted is where I found some comfort, then in making a website for my Jessie. Have you room in your arms for a new furbaby yet? I only lasted 6 weeks. No one can ever replace a beloved pet, but a new pet fills your arms, and covers your face in wet, sloppy kisses.

Archived