MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My December

Dora

Just thought I would post an update. Have not been on in a while. On December 10, at 3 in the morning, we had a fire in our house. We all got out safely, and the house can be saved, but there is extensive damage from fire smoke and water. Discovered we have lots of friends, who are donating time, household items, cash, even a dumpster box. We found a rental house last week, and Red Cross is paying the first month's rent. We are staying calm through it all, and only eating one bite at a time, but it is a pretty big elephant to eat. Just wanted you folks to know I am still here. The kitchen was not really damaged, but no electricity until we have the entire house rewired. Moved 3 months supply of food to the rental, and will probably be using most of it. Glad to have it, thanks to you. Keep us in your prayers, and I will be back as much as I can.

(((((Dora)))))))))))))))

So glad to hear from you...you were about to go on the *where the heck is she list*

Your in my thoughts and prayers and total belief that things will get better buddy.

Sorry it has been so tough...

warm hugs

((((Dora))))

I know exactly what you're going through. I lost my home to a fire in 2000 and was out of it for a year. Losing your foundation (your home) takes its toll.

I'm here if you ever need to talk.

Thank you everyone for the hugs and prayers, etc. We have calculated that by not going to the store except when SIL needed something, we have already saved 150 dollars on groceries. This is a good thing, as we have not had a house payment for 6 years (paid it off December 1999 for y2k) and now will have $500 rent. Yikes!. Bookworm, I have thought of your sig line many times. Most of the people we know would think we were crazy to have 15 cans of sardines, 12 cans of vienna sausages, and 23 quarts of home canned chicken and turkey - but not you guys!

my prayers our with you. i am so sorry about your lose. but everone is safe and the house is saveable. so praise God. i am glad you have good friends in your time of need. i pray you can get back in your home asap. God bless you and keep you safe.

I'm sure you probably have, but if not, check with your homeowners insurance if you have displacement coverage. I know I have it on mine. It's like rental car coverage on car insurance. I suggest to anyone who doesn't have it to get it. It is a very small extra cost on the policy for a very big expense should you lose your home or car-even temporarily.

Also, if you have other payments-credit card, bank, vehicle, ect., check with those institutions to see if you happen to have hardship benefits. Sometimes they will cover the payments for a certain period of time. And sometimes even without these benefits payments can be delayed or only interest paid until you are back on your feet.

Dora, I am so sorry this has happened to you and your family. I am also thankful that you and your family are safe.

Being prepared is such a good thing, and it is not just for storms and such, it is for times when you need the things and can not buy them. We have also used a lot of ours and have not been able to replace a lot of them, but we are working a little at a time on this.

thtags88ur-1.gif

Archived