MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What farm animals or livestock do you have?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I have several types of animals here at westbrook farms.

Rabbits: New Zealand, Rex, Satin, Jesery Wooly, Lop and Netherland Dwarf

Goats: Nubian, Nigerian Dwar, Boer, Mini Nubian

Sheep: Romdale, Hampshire, Suffolk

Chickens: Buff Orpington, Silkie

Turkey: Bronze

Dog: Anatolian Shepherd Dog

What do you have?

Guest Guest

We don't have much anymore, just some kinda hanger oners.

Geese

Peacock

Ducks

Rooster

Turkeys

Cats

We also rent out our pasture to a guy who has it full of cattle.

------------------

dee.jpg

A question form your city girl,

(dep sigh, very wistful

Okay back.

Does anyone stock natural *alarm* animals like Oleander geese, peahens or vocal dogs?

Ummm as your less then silent alarm against intruders. And do you think animal alarms are viable warnings? (would you listen?)

Cookie the-eventually-owning-her-own-home-girl

Guest Guest

Living in the country with our closest neighbor 1/2 mile away we always look to see what makes our peacock and geese start screaming and honking. It's usually someone driving in. That's not the reason we have them but they do make a good alarm system.

Birds go to bed with the sun so for a night alarm, unless you go into the building where they're roosting, they don't pay attention to anything. Anyone or anything could come on the place and there would be no warning.

------------------

dee.jpg

Guest Guest

Cookie Jar,

That is why I have livestock guardian dogs. Barking is their first line of defense.

And even if you live in an apartment, you can raise meat rabbits. Two does and 1 buck and 5 cages! will keep you in meat all year round!

Since rabbits are so quiet no one would even know you had them! besides rabbits are considered pets wink.gif

Guest Guest

We have Polled Hereford beef cattle, two dogs, and Maggie, the cat.

In the past we had many more animals, horses, a pig, Nubian and an Oberhasli goats, Satin and Mini Lop rabbits. Satin rabbits are so soft and pretty and I loved my goats. smile.gif Our dogs are an "early warning system". smile.gif

Thank you so much info and on the animal alarms,

Cool idea on raising rabbits even an apartment, you read my mind or picked up my hints from talking about indoor gardens/fruit trees perhaps?My plans for resources.

I live in a huge city(is that like 9 times I've mentioned it? LOL) and look for ways to complete my *cache*...if that makes sense? I already keep a reasonable larder due to hurricanes.

I was thinking of my future house (within 2 years! Hopefully). I remember my aunt had peacocks one of which was snow white and when it screamed at my 9 year old self I shrieked and fled. LOL.

One couple I know kept Oleander Geese for there territorial fierceness. They even had to apologise to the mailman once.(they *treed* him in his truck).

Just ideas and loving hearing about your homes and what you do.

Cookie

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

Guest Guest

the kinds of livestock we have changes with the seasons.....have jersey cow, jersey/hereford heifer....goats lots of them , lamacha/saanen crosses and saanen crossed with other types and 2 purebred saanen bucks , sheep,,,,some wooley type and some hair sheep, a llama, geese, 1 1 footed duck older than the hills, chcikens off all kinds, some times turkeys and oh yeah....14 cats and 5 dogs,,,,daughter moved in and with it brought her critters too,,,at times we have pigs and rabbits and house pets like doves and pigeons and other kid pets.....we just never know////take care and keep the faith all ......MOtherearth...[/img]http://www.mrssurvival.com/images/dt/motherearth[/img]

I went goggle eyed when you mention the variety of animals you have. I can only imagine what feeding the whole lot is like.

Since I live in the part of country where all we have is Dec.,Jan and Summer.LOL I tend to forget having seasons and the idea of animals that go with them.

Your place sounds great,

Cookie

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

I have the following at the moment: 17 chickens of various kinds, including three cockerels, 14 ducks, of various kinds, a mix of ducks and drakes, some layers, 1 rabbit, 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 budgie, 1 gerbil. I am hoping to make room for a couple of small milking goats, but we will probably get a polytunnel next. I wanted more children, but my husband said no more children but maybe a goat, so I am going to take him at his word! A polytunnel is a poor substitute for either of these! This weekend we are going to get some more chickens; we have found a lovely new place that does rare breeds of hens, but I know I will have trouble deciding which to get, and will come home with far too many!!

Guest Guest

We have a Yorkshire terrier dog at home, but my oldest son has several chicks of his own who reside at my FIL's farm just 15 miles away. My FIL got them for my son as a 6th birthday gift, and he takes care of them, feeds them, etc...My FIL also has 5 horses...1 is an Appaloosa, quarter horses, not sure about what kind the others are at the moment...he also has Guniea hens chicken.gif ...they make a lot of noise, but they're great for getting rid of ticks and other bugs on the farm and they lay great eggs. You could drop them on cement and they still wouldn't break, that's how tough their shells are wink.gif My DH also, used to raise Pot-bellied pigs...they were so darn cute and fun to watch run around grin.gif

------------------

50_p1689.jpg

Guest Guest

Well at the farm we don't have any animals on it that we own. But we do rent 15 acreas to a local who has it in corn. And we rent the old barn and a small area to the people that bought the farmhouse across the street from the acreage for their horses. She said she had 3 horses but her daughter was in 4 H and now there are 6 horses there. LOL I think they are subletting to DD's friends. Heck if I care. They really fixed up that old barn. We were going to tear it down. So I'm glad someone could get some use out of it. The rest we use for hunting. Put in for turkey permit today. Hope I get one. I love wild turkey. Diane

------------------

diinmi.jpg

I must thank you all,

I've enjoyed hearing about your various amazing manageries. smile.gif

Can you tell me if you have a favorite kind of animal? what's most difficult to raise, what is most accomodating?

The reason I ask is I'm hoping to eventually move to Homestead (good name for a city ,huh?) and acquire. Rabbits sound good, I thought about ducks but people tell me their too noisy and such...

A goofy Cookie question...

got one brief funny "darn ANIMAL!!" story?

Cookie avidly listening smile.gif

Guest Guest

The first thing you have to get is a good farm dog! now many will have opinions on what a good farm dog is. But if you are going to have livestock and there are predators (two and four legged) around you will need to have a good strong defense/fence to keep them out!

It is heart breaking to see what a neighbor dog can do to a flock of chickens or a goat, let along a pack of dogs or coyotes! raccoons love chickens and rabbits! so the first thing you need is a good farm dog that at least barks and removes the element of surprise the predator is counting on.

A few chickens, hens and a rooster. They don't need much unless you have predators. Mine run free around the goats and sheep. They eat bugs and anything the goats and sheep miss. They lay eggs and are generally fun to watch! heck on your garden though.

Rabbits are very easy to raise but not as easy to butcher. Chickens you can let go and take their eggs, so there is a return if you don't want to butcher them, but rabbits...if you are going to make them pets...forget it! Waste of money...exception ... if you are going to show them or sell them to the pet market, BARFers ( feedign raw meat to dogs and cats, but most people want it dead, cut up and packages) or spinners. But meat rabbits are for eating. Go get 2 rabbits right now. A Buck and a Doe. You will need three cages. Put the doe into the bucks cage! never, never the buck in with the doe!!!! she gets funny about her space and may try to hurt your poor boy! but he boy...well, he loves it! she is disoriented and WHAM! the deed is done! 31 days later babies.

Goats need serious fencing...as I was once told by GoatLady, "they have nothing better to do 24/7 but try to figure out how to get out...how much time do you have?" oh goodness she was right! LOL! what a challange! All my bucks are sweethearts! right now a little stinky, sporting the delightful fragrance "O'de La Goate", well the girls think it smells nice! but they are sweet. (if I had a nasty mean buck he would be in my freezer)

Sheep (most) need to be sheared (there are some that sluff their wool) and the Rams are not nice! (always exception) they will seriously try to hurt you! so they have to be handled differently.

Now I don't have hogs my DH (the D not standing for dear) won't let me bring one on the property. Now usually I wouldn't pay him no never mind but... I have not convienced my self yet that I really, really want one. Of course he wants a buffalo!

Start out with something little. Get used to having to stop at the feed store and picking up feed...need a truck for goats and sheep! get used to handling 50 pound bags of chicken scratch or rabbit pellets. I have a ton of Alfalfa to unload and stack tonight along with feeding and milking.

and one more thing before I have to go back to work... Purchase pedigreed rabbits and registered livestock. It costs just as much to feed mutts and it does purebred stock. This will cost more in the initial start up, but the end result will be a broader selling base (goes for your dog too!)

Go to the local fairs and walk around the livestock barns, talk to people, pet, look, ask questions. You have to find your favorite.

I have ducks and they can be noisy, especially the little call ducks, and they can be very messy; they paddle all the grass down with their little wide feet. The drakes can really hammer the duck in the spring when they're in the mood for mating, and can be quite aggressive. Having said that, I wouldn't be without my ducks! They lay throught the winter when the chickens don't and I spend hours watching them because they are so funny. Most of mine have names as well, and can get quite friendly. they are good with children too. We love out ducks!!

I've appreciated and frankly marveled (read this as goggled-eyed) some of your replies as to the creatures inhabiting your homestead and their usefullness.I'm still giggling over some discriptions.

I must inform you that I realistically can't afford (even via VA loan) a good spread for at least a year, but you know my heart's eye (Grin) is roaming and dreaming. And better to ask, right?

I have to take into account FLA.'s harsh sun and rains but it's ability to make gardens lush.

I must balance my own ability NOT to make animals pets to a balanced productivity.

(I keep seeing the frontier serries and the kid that cried over the chickens and the pet pig)

I love your views! Please keep telling me things. I know I'm clueless, but I am grateful.

your goofier but sincere pal,

Cookie

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

About Goats,

One of my work pals told me his parents used a moveable fence and used the goats to "mow" their 10 acres.

Moveable fence?...

Mowing goats?

I seem to remember the Germans in Darmstadt talking about the local college using shepards and goats to *mow* the campus.

okay, just voicing,

Cookie blushing

Guest Guest

If you want to make a moveable pen for goats, you can use the fencing panels. They come in a variety of sizes. Beware though, when used for goats the panels will need to be secured to some type of post, tree, or the pipe type panels. If not, it won't take them anytime to be out of the pen and on top of your visiting relatives' car.

(Of course, sometimes that is not a bad thing to have happen. smile.gif )

A friend sent me a whole article long ago how the germans use goats and sheep and of course shepards to *mow* lawns on state land. I found the image of a shepard armerd with his crook maintaining the most prominant lawns intriguing...

I sometimes wish our governemnt was more green friendly

just idle words,

cookie

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

• 1 month later...

Right now we have two rabbits. Bill and Hill. Two cats. Halfrack and little sistor. I'm watching a friends' daughters Rot named Sassy. Hopefully she'll be able to find a place where she can keep her best friend.

We raised two feeder pigs one year. I'd checked out a book at the library one winter called "How to Raise the Homestead Pig". That was fun. Now we get them up north and butcher them our selves. Pork goes great with moose and venison plus the lard is deluxe.

I heard goose fat is even better.