MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
8thsinner

Back packs

If you had the option which would you rather have...

A synthetic factory made kit bag

or

A custom designed, wilderness replacable, machine washable, waterproof, Light weight strong, Hand made, Natural leather bag.

Okay I admit I am putting a little more emphesis on the leather but if you wanted leather how much would you be willing to pay for it?

I am thinking of commisioning a few of my designs, which is the reason for asking, and obviosly the piece is preper suitable...

I'd want the custom design.

As far as how much would I be willing to pay for it, it would depend on the design, warranty, etc.

Design is what you make of it, but there are certain restrictions, I do not use zips or any other part which is irreplacable in the wild, I use leather made buttons, loops, ties etc. No zips, no buckles, no metal of any type. I can and will hunt down, bone or wood buttons if they are desired. I will not use synthetic materials any where on the design, not even thread.

If for example the common stitch look is desired, I will use sinew, bought of course.

To ensure quality guarantee, i will send reciepts for all leather or materials bought, showing what it's worth, this won't tell you how good it is but it helps. And it also helps to justify the final price.

The warranty not that theres anything official to speak off is good for as long as society is around, with the understanding that any fixing may take time due to finding a similar colour,thickness, strength etc, and also that I am a busy person, these will be done in my at the moment rather limited free time.

As there is some interest I will put up pics of my next two plus my old one in a few weeks, to give you an example of what sort of things I do. I will also say how many hours went into each, not counting the allready used up days of design procedures.

I will explain the process by which it is made, which it is upto you to store for further reference on fixing it in the wild yourself,things like the order pieces go together. (this is with any designs I sell of course)

You would get instructions, basics on making the leather in the wild plus instructions on how each part is made, The likes of any braiding, or knot work will be sent with it and detailed, but possibly not illustrated, I can work on that though.

I am admit I am not going to do this to make a profit, but I wil take a profit on it. But it will not be the likes of most leather places taking 200 percent mark up on time, materials, and electrics and other costs. And yes that is what they charge I used to work in the industry like.

I am offering these I think because I have recently recieved lots of compliments on my own bag, and I like both leather and the wilderness replacable idea. Simple as. If you like it let me know hopefully something good will come of it for both of us.

leather is always better, but money is also always in short supply. Will just need to see how much and then I can work it into my budget. I use to buy backpacks for DD to go to school with and had to replace them every year. Then I saved enough to get her a large leather bag in 2000. She is still using it today in college and it is still in great shape. LOL told her when she graduates I wanted the bag. nope she will not part with it, says she will go all the way thru law school with it also.

Sight unseen, I would have to pick the commercial bag, preferably with MOLLE/PALS attachment points. However, I would be quite interested in seeing picks of your custom leathercrafting. It would improve the decision making process for me. Do your packs have frames? I will assume external ones as that would be much easier for bushcraft replacements.

but seriously, I would love to see examples of your work.

--Vic

The links say it's outta bandwith so I can't see the pics.

*pout*

8thsinner, you might try an account at www.photobucket.com as it is also a free picture host, and I have yet to have it run out of bandwidth.

At the minute I am working 54 hrs a week but I have laid out plans for new basic pack design, one that will be carried with me daily, I will keep you all informed.

Couple of questions on principles of bag.

The shoulder strap/straps, are designed to be removable to allow easy replacement, and or packing inside the bag itself for airine travel, but I am in a quandry as to which way to make the adjustable-ness of them.

Would you prefer a double part sliding adjusting system using braided knots. Which will easily adjust whilst wearing, but eventually wear thin and looser requiring maintenance.

Or

A simpler method which simply gets wrapped around and tied at the length you need it?

What type of maintenance would be required (forgive my ignorance) for the first choice?

Heres an example of a knot that I would probably end up using, It's called the pineapple knot, But I would be placing this over another (Gaucho knot or turks head knot), But due to wear and tear the inner knot will through friction have leather removed from the inside, and it will become loose, the maintenance, is having to roughly in the order of.

Isolate and steam the inner knot so that it dries tighter than it was,

Tighten the outer knot to shrink the inner knot.

Remove the outer knot and replace the inner knot then replace the outer knot.

But bear in mind that if the leather over which the inner knot is put, is cleaned and polished regularily, it will enable the inner knot to last for years and years.

Without that premaintenance the strap would become rough and worn, leaving a bobbly like effect which acts as sand paper against the inner knot.

Also that, the straps should not need regular adjusting, perhaps chaning as little as the seasons per year. So the leather would last hundreds of movements which could be a hundred years or more

A-02%20Black%20leather%20braided.jpg

8th ~

There is beautiful work in that picture...I'm impressed.

I'm the one that moved this thread to this forum being that I was under the impression that you were potentially looking to sell these if anyone was interested.

If I misunderstood your intentions, let me know what forum you'd like this post moved back to.

I am interested in doing that, but as it's very much a work in progress, I think it's wrong to have it in here at present, i will open a new thread for it with pics, when samples are ready.

Heres a few pics, of past projects now that I am using a new hosting service, I hope it's good.

http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/0c77e3e4-ad0a-...d7-8ab87106187b

http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/b0af45e5-9e95-...01-63ec3d7a7722

http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/49cb0ffb-3fe6-...28-359779ad5dd6

http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/8dc7e946-b010-...0c-a5c1f703aaa0

http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/3373389c-4a3b-...2d-45d347f7238d

http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/09eb965e-1bdb-...bf-c5045b31dfd6

http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/3805ac0c-64d9-...83-8a3d8c6d2725

http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/a0311df2-e804-...bd-b3625fccd58e

Run down, the necklace was commisioned by a good friend, wanting something special for her st christophers necklace, it was finished as a one piece look, with a gaucho knot over the joint, and fittted perfectly, to her neck. I used pig skin for that job.

I use a lot of pig skin because it's tough, thin and machine washable, it's also naturally tanned, not chrome tanned which leaves marks on metal in use.

The knot image as a sketch, was modified from a picture, as part of an instructable article.

The whip, was fun to do and accurate to use, I used cowhide for that instead of kangaroo because it's different.

The two bolas, working key ring versions. The blue one is an example of string method, ie. twist braid to keep weight down, but in blue because it stands out, It was chrome tanned though.

The black one was commissioned as part of a trade deal which the other person never completed, it was returned unused, I used to use it at night to turn off the stand uplight, it wraps around the switch and as it comes to cinch, compressed it turning it off, It was also good practice.

The watch strap I made years ago out of calf skin and cowhide, I am still wearing it now.

The knife handle, was made for a (Throwing knife of mine) Braided and painted with shellac for extra rigidity and waterproofing.

The feather was commisioned on a Note book cover made for a friends father. It represents his love of shakespeare. WIth his initial beside it in old style font.

Oh BTW, I think it was in the edge, but place it where you best think it placed.

I might start a new thread where ever it's put to list the ideas I am working on, but heres a quick list of them.

Project primitive, As a set or sold seperatly.

Lovers sling wrist strap.

Wrist strap similar to one shown using finer materials, can be taken apart and used as a sling, The braided leather thongs would be available seperatly but used in other part of the primitive set up.

Three leads balls on small loops about 2 inches long, tied together in a very fancy way, it could make a mini bola for indoor use, but designed as an actual bola with three feet thongs.

This also makes a (can be taken apart juggling practice set up) for the key ring.

Two balls can be used and tied to shortened thongs, for carrying your own practice poi, obviously without tails though, but they could easily be added.

The way they would be presented can also be used as a fiddler key ring, just for twiddling around and through the fingers.

The three balls together on a shortened set of thongs, could be used as a jack (high impact self defence weapon. For humans or animals.

(Theoreticaly) They can also be used as fasteners on the back pack, I am trying to work through this idea. The balls themselves will be covered with a pineapple knot and have a one inch long loop after the small gaucho joint knot making them very attractive even as single key ring paper weights.

Thongs, obviously there will be three, in pig skin, depending on the specific leather thickness they usually work out about 1/8" of an inch thick, very strong Previously tested to 45 lbs breaking strain and very light. They will have braided knot covering loops at the end for joining on to either loops on back pack, each other, lead balls etc. They can also be doubled up easily for the restraint of a possible intruder giving six feet of usable thong, They could be used as a wallet cord from belt loop etc. Also as hat band loops and I am working on a decorative finishing knot so you can carry two of them up there.

Of course as regular thongs they could also be used for emergency

Tournique

shelter support holds when working on a shelter alone

Tying bag to tree to avoid insects over night etc

Snare material Which would be bitten through (so be aware)

Fixing a broken shopping bag (I had to do this on a bus the other day, it worked brilliantly.

Emergency knife grip

Fire bow string

Quickly tying a bundle of goods in a sheet or similar for Bug out situations.

Any other use which involves short strands of cordage.

Right now a few ppl carry these thongs from me, as a hangmans noose around their neck, which gives you a instant noose for looping things together, decorative look, etc.

Thongs can also be used for carrying an indian medcine style bag.

8th,

I forget which forum you originally posted this thread to. If you could remind me, I'll move it over there again for you.

Thanks.

8th, your hosting site is 'secure' and the links show no pictures, only a user login field.

sorry but that was what we found too?

I don't want to sign up just to see what great work you do..

any way of letting us see the work with out become part of the site?????

....this was, is and shall be Michael

Keep in mind that we also have the ability to upload pictures from our computer to MrsS too. The downside is that we just hafta do them one at a time...just a thought.

8th, if you want a good free hosting service I can recommend www.photobucket.com . I use them all the time and it works well & doesn't have the registration issues for viewers to see your pics. In fact you can post the pics in-thread quite easily with photobucket.com (see my Jandd Emek thread in the sale forum here).