MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grubby

Cleaning...

I'm just a newbie, so I hope it's okay that I'm butting in, but I'd suggest that a wooden handled broom would be easy to fix with a bar clamp and some Gorilla glue. With the added benefit that gorilla glue, when properly set, is stronger then the wood itself (basically, the broom will break some where else next time ). Also, depending on what type of broom you had, you could take the whole handle off and carve a small branch to replace it. Or, depending on what type of metal the broom handle is you could just bend it back into place and add duck tape!.

i would bend it back in place with another stick duct tape over the bend to reinforce it. i always have tons of sticks and stuff. my kids bring them home...

Quote:

What about vinegar, is it safe on surfaces and why do
people use it?

What if I run out of Lysol how do I disinfect surfaces,
without using bleach?

I found out that.....

White distilled vinegar is a popular household cleanser, effective for killing most mold, bacteria, and germs, due to its level of acidity. Cleaning with white distilled vinegar is a smart way to avoid using harsh chemicals. You’ll also be glad to know that it is environmentally friendly and very economical.

There are tons of tips here. vinegar

It's good to know about the vinegar, since you can make that from scratch.

You can, also, make brooms from scratch. You can grow broom corn and use the tops for the bristles. I'm sure you could use other things, too, such as grasses or grain stems. Use branches for handles. Try to find straight ones or you might as well just use that bent handled broom. (I can't laugh too hard. I did the same thing to one of mine. I kept it, too, but doubt I'll ever use it)

Yeah storing cleaning supplies is one of my weak areas-I'm a big fan of bleach, but DH and oldest DD are allergic to it, so keeping huge amounts of it simply isn't safe. I can only use it when they aren't here (except the stuff in Ajax, that doesn't seem to bother them).

I'm slightly germ phobic and I know if TSHTF it will only get worse. It's good to know that vinegar is so useful, I will have to stockpile that instead.

Another of my concerns is laundry soap. The stuff I've made in the past didn't dissolve very well, and I know that will be a concern if I have to do laundry by hand.

Oh, and, with the short broom, have the kids sweep!

Mo7

Quote:

Another of my concerns is laundry soap. The stuff I've made in the past didn't dissolve very well, and I know that will be a concern if I have to do laundry by hand.

Oh, and, with the short broom, have the kids sweep!

Mo7

I love the idea about having the kids sweep!!!

Vinegar has a multitude of uses. I used white vinegar as a nappy soak (oops - diaper soak!) then washed in a hot wash with washing soda. They were the whitest and softest. Plus there were never any problems with Baby's skin. So between the 2 it was a great success. I probably could have just washed with the washing soda, but the bucket would have been smelly, so the vinegar worked well.

Sue

That is so funny that you put this post here. I was just going to ask if everyone thought this homemade cleanser recipe that I just made to see if it was good enough for the bathroom and then I found all this stuff about vinegar.

Here is a recipe that I have. I just made some and it smells nice after cleaning.

Get a spray bottle and fill with:

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup Alcohol Wintergreen 70% Isopropyl

fill remaining bottle with water.

Hope this helps! I also have a homemade laundry detergent that works great. It is a liquidy type soap and I dont' have problems with it dissolving well. I have also used white vinegar for the fabric softener. Honestly, my clothes come out just fine, matter of fact a little softer in my opinion. You can't smell the vinegar either.

My goal this year is to make all my own cleansers and not use chemicals anymore.

Here are a couple more links for homemade cleaners that I have found in my searches online:

www.motherearthnews.com/organic_gardening/1990_july_august/natural_housecleaning

www.thefamilyhomestead.com This is where I got my laundry detergent recipe. She gives easy instructions!

I have the best cleaning tools in the world! All I have to do is put clean light color clothes on the kids and turn them loose. Any dirt anywhere - they find it!

you can MAKE vinegar?! shocked how? out of what?

honestly, i never thought of MAKING it...i am not sure where i thought i came from...bottles from the store...did they grow on trees??? lol

This isn't a cleaner recipe, but you might be glad to know this: I love to re-use nice jars and containers, but in the past just couldn't get the lable goo (glue) off -- even using fingernail polish remover. Here is the secret: after washing the inside of the jar/container, remove the lable and apply plain ol'peanut butter to the glue. Let is sit for a day or two on the kitchen counter. Scratch it real good with your fingernail (or a scrubbie) wipe off with a paper towel and then wash with dishwashing liquid. It takes it off every time and then I have some really handy containers for free.

WD40 removes that sticky glue stuff from labels, tape, stickers and them sticky price tags on stuff, too.

Any kind of oil works well, but the peanut butter kind of scrubs it with the ground peanut bits.