MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HSmom

How long do seeds last?

What about under special conditions?

I have a Territorial Seed catalog and I notice that most seeds last 1 to 3 years.

What if they were sealed in mylar?

Would you toss in O2 absorber?

Or a dessicant (moisture absorber)?

How would that change the 'shelf life' of seeds?

TIA!

What if you then threw that mylar package into the freezer?

Anybody know?

No-to the freezing-would kill most seeds.

The rest of the stuff: I don't know.

Most seeds will last longer than any of them books say-germination rate will go down. I've had seeds for over 10 yrs and had success with them. I've had alot of seeds that were 5 yrs old and had NO problem. I don't store them in any particular way-some in baggies, some in envelopes, some in jars, some in film canisters. They're all in a big gardening type bag in the top of my closet. At the old house (which was small) the bag was kept under an end table in the living room. As long as they don't get damp or freeze.

Maybe someone else will have more info.

Seeds are best stored in very cool temperatures (not freezing though) in a zip lock baggie, or a lidded glass or plastic container with a dessicant package inserted. Do not use oxygen removers/absorbers - as the seed is a living thing - it needs a bit of oxygen to stay viable. They can last a long time but as Necie pointed out they will reduce each year on the germination rate and eventually die off.

How about the fridge DD?

Ma's article says

Quote:
seed needs three things for survival; constant darkness, cool temperature and dryness

So if I put them in a foil-wrapped (to block light) glass jar with dessicant - or mylar with dessicant - and in the fridge?...?

HSmom - the refrigerator is recommended by alot of seed savers - just be sure to have the dessicant included - as the fridge usually has a fair amount of humidity.

Perfect. Thanks DD.

I think that when I order this year's seeds, I will order an extra year's worth to store. And do the same next year, so I'd have two years stored - all open pollinated of course, but the second year is in case of some sort of failure with the first year.