MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sunnyboysx3

Newspaper log roller

Newspaper log roller:

I picked one of these up at the second hand for $2.00. Even if I don't use it now it's quite an attractive piece to sit next to the woodstove.

For those that don't know what this is, it's hand cranked, you add newspaper to the roller and roll up starter logs for the woodstove.

Curious if anyone here has used one. Good to have on hand. I consider this one of those unique great buys.

Great find! I've never used one but I spent some time rolling up newspaper by hand the other night when the fire went out. Wood/coal heat is nice but messy and it stinks. Or at least the coal stinks.

Glad I remembered posting this.

Mistylady, my mother has fond memories of the time way back when my grandparents used coal as a heat source. In my neck of the woods we all use wood for burning.

M & L, thanks for the tip. I will definately wet the paper down a bit as I roll, great tip!

You can add a little color to the paper logs when they burn. Just add some:

Common Salt ------- Yellow

Borax ------------- Green

(metallic salt)

Copper Nitrate ---- Emerald Green

Barium Nitrate ---- Apple Green

Copper Chloride --- Bluish Green

Lithium Chloride -- Purple

Calcium Chloride -- Orange

Strontium Nitrate - Red

Mix 1-2 oz. of chemical in 1 qt. warm water.

Soak logs in solution then dry.

* Soak sawdust in chemical then dry.

* Warp small packets of dry sawdust in

* wax paper then throw in fire.

!! DO NOT use in metal fireplace or in a

masonry fireplace with metal flue.

Why: dissimilar metals react with one another.

Why: the warranty may be voided.

Enjoy

a friend of our does this at camp -

get a piece of copper pipe (like our water lines) about 1" round Make it anywhere around 6 inches long. Crimp (hit with a hammer)one end but still have a small hole for the air to go in. Then cut up an old garden hose (old kind) in stripes and put that inside. WE are told that when you put it into a fire (outside) it makes lots of colors?

character0065.gifMichael

Yep, and that's good for pinecones too. I can remember my grandfather soaking pine cones in Epsom Salts and chucking the dried cones on the fire. Like borax, Epsom Salts are cheap and readily available. I suppose you could soak driftwood, though I've never tried. I live in the North, where pinecones are plentiful and free, so we even use the darn things as fire starters, my wife pours wax on 'em sometimes...

Originally Posted By: Amishway Homesteaders
get a piece of copper pipe (like our water lines) about 1" round Make it anywhere around 6 inches long. Crimp (hit with a hammer)one end but still have a small hole for the air to go in. Then cut up an old garden hose (old kind) in stripes and put that inside. WE are told that when you put it into a fire (outside) it makes lots of colors?
character0065.gifMichael

= = UPDATE = =

First off WOW!

we went out to camp and we got to see it done this time (after dark)!
YES it is worth the time to make them - Man the colors are great and soooooooooooo magical! Everyone just sat around looking at them for about 30 minutes each time they put one in.

Now we have learned that it is best to wait until you have hot coals in your fire pit and then add some more wood. When that get going put 1 or 2 'pipes' on top of the coals and in a few seconds you will start to see all the colors fill the fire ring. Just GREAT! And they just 'dance' around for a long time too.
This is a safe thing for you to do with your kids - Just wait until fire is out before picking out the hot pipes!

Michael2

Originally Posted By: Amishway Homesteaders
character0065.gifMichael

Hoses are made of plastic materials. Buring plastics give off toxic fumes. Please don't burn plastics or styrofoam!

Hmm, I'd love to see a picture of something like that, I have no mental image to go eith that description,,,

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.