MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheCG

Moving

How do you move? Do you just move all your preps as well, or do you eat them then restock?

I'm going to be moving in June (from a one-bedroom apt in Austin most likely into a trailer house with my honey up in Lubbock for a year or two) and am going to have to get rid of good amount of stuff before I move due to lack of space. He knows better than to push it on my fabric stash (not that I would ever have too much fabric...of course not!) I will make space for preps once I'm up there, but I'm just curious how others have handled it.

We ate everything in the fridge and then only bought what would be consumed before we moved. The water containers (factory filled Walmart water) did not survive the journey. I wouldn't recommend trying to move those flimsy things. The dry goods, first aid, lighting, everything other than fridge stuff moved with us.

Good luck with your move.

We moved about two years ago. We did make a concerted effort to use up preps (without replacement) prior to the move - but I have a considerable supply so we did move alot and then restocked what we did use after we got relocated. Water containers were emptied prior to the move and refilled at the new location. We have less space at our new home - but having our food/supply inventory is important so we figured out how to store it properly in this smaller environ.

Good luck with your move.

We've moved cross-country twice in the last 2.5 years. Both times we used up most of the pantry before the move, but I did keep at least a week's worth of food on hand, that we moved with us. My first grocery trip after moving is always pretty $$$, since I try to start re-stocking as soon as possible!

Well, I haven't moved for 36 years, but if I had to, I would take my storage with me. There would be NO way I would leave it behind.

You can buy a shed and put by the house and put a lot of things in that. They come in many different sizes and right now I am not sure what they would cost, but it might be worth thinking about. thhugdfrommetouanimals-2.gif

I have moved preps,a nd boy what a pain. That being said, I would certainly do it again. We did try to use a lot of what was in the freezers, but we moved some of that stuff as well. If you've got freezer stuff, leave it in the freezer when you go, it should keep fine as long as you transport it as quickly as possible (can't remember distance from Austin to Lubbock).

Mo7

I haven't got my own freezer! Austin to Lubbock is about 6-8 hours, depending on who's driving. The stuff from my freezer and fridge would fit in a big ice chest, so I may just have to borrow from Mom & Dad for that.

CG consider dry ice! It's how things like Omaha Steaks and such are shipped.It will last longer and colder than regular ice, not as messy either.

I'm currently trying to pack up my home while I wait for it to sell so I can move...

I'm using up perishable (freezer stuff)...other than that, the only thing I've stopped doing is replinishing my stock. I have an inordinate amount of preps and plan on moving them with me...what I need to replinish I will do once I get moved.

Now is not the time for me to go through everything I've accumulated...I feel a sense that things could go south at any moment, so no matter where I'm at, I'm trying to maintain some semblance of preparation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.