MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bells Palsy

zzelle

Sunday at work i noitced i could not taste anything and thought i was getting sick. mon. woke up and right eye felt ike it had something in it so put in eye drops. around 11:30am my mouth started feeling numb and my right side of my face. one of the girls i work with my good friend asked if something was wrong i said my lips are numb alittle and she side smile and my left side went up not the right, she said blink my left eye would blink not the right. they told they thought i had bells palsy came home dh said we are going to er they ran ct scan and some test and they told me i have bells palsy. what causes it they do not know but it is some dormenit virsus that stays in your body that eventually trigger it and it goes to the central nerve behind one ear my right one and that nerve controls eye lid closing and mouth movements and facial jesters on that side. so as of right now my right side of my face is paralized. i am on steriods to relax my facial movements and antiobiotic with 15 med. in it i should get 80% of my usaging back in six weeks and hopefully all back in the near future.i hope this make sense i have to ware a black eye patch over my right eye at home to help relax the eye and to help try to close it and keep things out because when i sleep it does not close all the way so the patch is to keep out things. does any on know anything about this or ever had it or know some who has any info would be greatly app. i know some from what i found of internet but would like to hear from someone who has had it or knows someone who has. i will get off of here i have jabbered enough. thanks

My Uncle had this once. It was more of a nuisance than a painful condition. He didn't have any vision/eye problems like you do though. He looked like he had a slight stroke. He completely recovered after about 6 months. Not a pleasant thing but at least it is seldom permanent. Hang in there!

Hi Zzelle!

I'm sorry you have this ....I don't know anyone that has recently had it. However, I remember a priest at our church had it when I was younger. I know he recovered completely.

I hope you recover quickly!

zZELLE,...my heart felt sympathy. Both MIL; & DS have had attacks of BP. Lots of water, rest, and daily work by a trained massage therapist brought both back to normal within 3 weeks. They also did physical therapy theough hospital outpatient services. In some wierd roundabout way; this has to do with the chicken pox virus...thats what we were told. Stress precipitates these attacks...so you know what to do. Yeah right!

Our former music director at church had BP and made a full recovery. He got about this time of year. I remember because we were practicing our Easter music and he couldn't lead it for a couple of weeks. I think he was back with us after 3 weeks just in time for the musical. He wasn't in pain just was limited to use of one side. Had a hard time eating, drank a lot of milkshakes. He couldn't feel if he bit his jaw or tongue so he stuck to stuff he could just swallow. He was a young guy early to mid 40's.

Hang in there zzelle you will be back to normal soon. (Well now don't hold me to that statement you may not have been normal to start with. You know normal is just a setting on the dryer ) Hang in there it is not permenant just a nuisance to deal with.

My sister in law had BP as the result of another illness. They also told her that she could regain 80% of her movement in her face. However... she is a massage therapist and so she showed us how to massage the face and neck muscles, which we did a couple of times a day and she has regained 100% of her muscle control in her face! So, massage, massage, massage!

Also, zzelle, make sure you are eating as best you can-healthy foods. The healthier your foods, the healthier your body, so the quicker you can recover! I will be praying for things to go quickly for you!

Mo7

thanks everyone, i am doing a little better on my meds. my eye stills only closes when my left does, and my mouth on right side still does not move vey much. very hard to eat or drink. but i will hopefully get back to 100%.

My Brother had it when he was about 11. He made a full recovery. He always blamed it on me hitting him in the head with a snowball. I hope you make a speedy recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

i was so excited i woke up this morning and i can close my right eye now by its self it does not close all the way yet, and my right side of my mouth is starting to work and i am starting to get my sense of taste back on that side. so praise the Lord. it as only been three weeks today. so i think that is a very good start to recovery.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had BP for the last two weeks. I could not close my right eye and it ran and irritated the skin arround it. I also could not drink except out of a straw. I am doing better, but am not completely over it. It gets worse when the suns goes down. It is a strange thing to experience, that is for sure. Now I have a head cold. I am trying to cut down on all of the stress in my life, hoping that helps.

i hope you get better soon. i still have a tingley feeling ever now and then in my right check and eye and headaches sometimes but i am doing alot better. thanks everyone for all the prayers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived