MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WARNING!!! PET FOOD RECALL

Vic303

Dog, cat food recalled after pet deaths

Associated Press

Sat Mar 17, 7:32 AM ET

WASHINGTON - A major manufacturer of pet foods sold throughout North America under dozens of store names is recalling millions of containers of its products while working to determine what caused kidney failure and some deaths of cats and dogs.

Menu Foods said Saturday it is recalling dog food sold under 46 brands and cat food sold under 37 brands and distributed throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. The pet foods were sold by major retailers, including Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates is available from the Menu Foods website, http://www.menufoods.com/recall . Consumers with questions can also call (866) 895-2708.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Co., Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

The company said it makes pet food for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product," Henderson said.

The company alerted the

Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

Be sure to follow the link to the list of all affected pet foods--it seems to be the canned or pouched varieties. Even "Good Quality" brands are affected, such as Nutro Natural Choice.

This affects both dog and cat foods.

--Vic

Recalled Cat Product Information

Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets

Authority

Best Choice

Companion

Compliments

Demoulas Market Basket

Eukanuba

Fine Feline Cat

Food Lion

Foodtown

Giant Companion

Hannaford

Hill Country Fare

Hy-Vee

Iams

Key Food

Laura Lynn

Li'l Red

Loving Meals

Main Choice

Nutriplan

Nutro Max Gourmet Classics

Nutro Natural Choice

Paws

Pet Pride

Presidents Choice

Price Chopper

Priority

Save-A-Lot

Schnucks

Sophistacat

Special Kitty Canada

Special Kitty US

Springfield Prize

Sprout

Total Pet, My True Friend

Wegmans

Western Family

White Rose

Winn Dixie

Recalled Dog Product Information

Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets

Authority

Award

Best Choice

Big Bet

Big Red

Bloom

Bruiser

Cadillac

Companion

Demoulas Market Basket

Eukanuba

Food Lion

Giant Companion

Great Choice

Hannaford

Hill Country Fare

Hy-Vee

Iams

Key Food

Laura Lynn

Loving Meals

Main Choice

Mixables

Nutriplan

Nutro Max

Nutro Natural Choice

Nutro

Ol'Roy

Paws

Pet Essentials

Pet Pride - Good n Meaty

Presidents Choice

Price Chopper

Priority

Publix

Roche Bros

Save-A-Lot

Schnucks

Shep Dog

Springsfield Prize

Sprout

Stater Bros

Total Pet, My True Friend

Western Family

White Rose

Winn Dixie

Your Pet

Does that help?

That's it I'm going back to making my own pet food again! mad My pets were never so healthy a few years ago when I did that. Lack of time led me to switch back to premade food, they don't like it and don't do as well on it. Besides making my own saved a lot of money to.

Thanks for posting this I'll share it with my friends with pets!

bighug

Yep, they keep adding store brands to that list. Now the Kroger canned cat food is on the list...it was just the pouches at first. Iam's and some others are now on there too.

Q

Well, just my luck... first I have the kitty that got poisoned with the mouse poison, now I have a different kitty at the vet getting IV's trying to keep him out of kidney failure. He has been sick since mid-Feb and I had taken him to the vet twice already. We just couldn't figure out what it was, and when I heard about the recall this weekend, I knew. Took him back to the vet yesterday and had the blood checked and all the numbers pertaining to the kidneys were high, but it looks like we caught it in time. He ate the Special Kitty packets from Wal-Mart. About a month ago, he starting acting like something was wrong with the food, and turned his nose up unless he was really hungry. I had bought some Fancy Feast and was switching between those two foods. So he didn't pig out on the Special Kitty for the past month, otherwise it probably would have killed him. He ate just enough to get sick. I heard the wheat gluten they used might as well have been antifreeze, that's how bad it is. And the 10 pet deaths are from the Menu Company's testing of 90 of their own animals. From what I'm hearing there are probably thousands of dead pets in the past 2 months from this... I am so mad.

So sorry to hear your kitty is sick from this...I have a friend who QC's for a DIFFERENT COMPANY's dog food line (not involved in the recall). He's told me of the times he has personally rejected entire trainloads of grain due to too many toxins like aflatoxin.

I have been on-line looking at recipes for home-made cat food. I am seriously considering this.... I may try the Blue Buffalo brand (which you can get at PetsMart) It's supposed to be all natural. But I am seriously considering making my own from here on... This makes you not trust any of the foods. I just saw a story on the news of people crying because their babies died. I can certainly feel for them, I think we are going to be lucky.

Ok, Now I guess I must call the Vet. I had my Beautiful, Bestest Buddy, a silver (blue) Chowchow named Kirby Magoo sent to Doggie Heaven in late Jan. He was 12 1/2. We just thought it was his arf-ritis and old age. He was fine at Christmas, then suddenly a very sick old dog. When I get home from work I will check the codes. I was going to give the nearly 2 cases of IAMS Chunks & Gravy I still have to my son for his mutt but hadn't yet. Also have 2 boxes of the pouches. If those code match, I'm gonna be beyond pissed!!

I didn't see Alpo and Beneficial on the list, but you might check on the label for the manufacturer and make sure they're not on the list. Looks like my kitty gets to come home tomorrow, if the blood work looks good. Then it will be a matter of praying that the kidneys maintain and don't have any permanent damage.

Has anyone located a recipe for homemade cat food and where can I get the recipe for homemade dog food? I love my animals. They are part of our family and this is something I would like to steer WAY clear of.

Thank goodness for picky eating cats, they only eat dry food. Cat chow complete. Scary I am going to start looking for recipes myself Frog, Hubby and sons will beyond consolable if anything happen to these two cats. They are our owners.

We checked all the cans and pouches of IAMS dog food left from Kirby. 6 cans in 1 of the cases had the plant code but the date code was in the 5200's. The rest all had a different plant code and the date code was sooner also. Whew!! I'm sure glad they didn't match.

Originally Posted By: Pigzzilla
We checked all the cans and pouches of IAMS dog food left from Kirby. 6 cans in 1 of the cases had the plant code but the date code was in the 5200's. The rest all had a different plant code and the date code was sooner also. Whew!! I'm sure glad they didn't match.
Whew!

Still am sad to hear about Kirby, though. bighug

And they keep trying to get everyone to eat only agribusiness food and not raise any ourselves, so we are at their mercy...

disgusting!

Archived