MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mammogram

Snowmom

If you haven't had yours in the past year, please get it done. I just had mine last month and I'm fine. clapsmilieclapsmilieclap

If there is a chance that you could get breast cancer, please, PLEASE get your mammogram each year.

Cancer is so bad and it can hit anyone at any time and without much warning. frowncryingbluetears.gif

Also be sure that you do your monthly breast self-exams. I had a mammogram this year that showed nothing. Then a lump developed. The biopsy after the lump removal proved it was benign . But it did prove the importance of self-exam on a regular basis.

I encourage the wives to have the husbands get an annual prostate check up also. I know this is something men don't like to think about or discuss, but it can save thier life.

wormie

John

I thoroughly agree. It was only through a prostate exam that a family friends cancer was discovered. The man had never been sick a day in his life. Sorry to say that he waited to late and he left this world last month. Either of these exams are EXTREMELY important and potentially lifesaving.

John, yes, so very important and so very true. My dh just had a conlonoscopy and if it wasn't for my "push" he would have cancelled the appt. Now he is pushing me to make my doc appt. unfortunately I need a bit of a nudge too.

Nett, great point you made.

How ironic you posted this today. I just had mine this morning. I went a little bit over 1 year this time because I changed Dr's. I make sure to keep current on this because my sister had a very aggressive breast cancer in her early 30's. Fortunately, she is still cancer free.

If you have dense breasts, I would suggest you ask for an ultrasound. Last summer, I had done some research on this, and asked my Dr. about it and he agreed, so instead of my annual mammogram, we decided to alternate every other year with an ultrasound, so we had one scheduled. They found a lump on the ultrasound, which required a mammogram but the lump was undetectable on the mammogram, so I had surgery to remove the lump. The radiologist that saw me just before the surgery told me that mammograms were useless on dense breasts like mine, so I should continue with the ultrasounds annually. Fortunately the lump turned out to be non cancerous.

Another up and coming technology is the breast MRI, but right now most insurance companies will not pay for it as it is a little on the expensive side. But as it comes into use more, especially since the American Cancer Society is now recommending it for women with a history of breast cancer in the family, the cost should drop and more insurance companies will begin paying for it.

And I agree with the others, don't forget your own monthly exam. That's how my grandmother and aunts detected theirs.

Dawn

Thank you. I had not heard of the ultrasound being used that way, but it makes sense. I have what is termed "gritty" tissue. Kinda dense I suppose. That would have probably been more helpful for me as well.

Timely counsel. I especially appreciate the two who mentioned having found lumps in their breasts which turned out not to be cancerous. Just found a lump in my breast yesterday. Today the doctor set me up for both a mammogram and ultrasound on Tuesday. (And, yes, I have been having my yearly mammograms.) While my mind knows that most lumps turn out to be benign, my emotions keep wanting to get carried away with "what if."

Just remember, you don't have to be 40 or older to do the self exams, and there are many women who are not 40 yet and end up with breast cancer. So, all of you females out here, please do the self exam and get your mammograms, and if needed the ultra sounds or MRI.

I for one can not have a MRI but if needed I can get ultra sounds.

Yes, and men it is very important that you get your prostate exam too. So many men get prostate cancer and many don't know until it is to late.

grouphug

This is all very true and very important. I handed a 14 year olc a self-exam card to help her keep track of it and she said she didn't need it. I said excuse me but you have started your cycle and you wear larger than a "a" cup so yes you need to start doing it now! This gives you a basis and should anything show up you will notice it before something else could develop. I think I quite shocked her. She stuttered but I am not active. I told her sex has nothing to do with it. It is something you should make a habit as soon as you start wearing a bra and have a female cycle. eek I embarrasssed her but I would rather embarrass her than her need it and not have done it!

Archived