MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Last Minute Scenario

OK, want to play another scenario?

Let's say you have 'insider information' and you know a SHTF is coming fast. You have ONE hour to spend inside ONE store. [edit added -- For the purpose of not disqualifying all of us who live an hour or more from ANY store -- do not count travel time. You have ONE hour inside the store of your choosing. smile ]Which store would you choose and what would you rush around buying in that store? Furthermore, since it's 'insider info' - no one else is rushing around and making it dangerous...yet.

Note: You can specify which "crisis" is about to happen if you wish. Like Bird Flu or Hurricane, or economic crash, or TEOTWAWKI or...... Or do several. If you are new to prepping, start with an easier one like a weather crisis first.

MtRider >

This is easy for me ... one hour one store, I'll pass, I have enough to cope with for the short term emergency, and it would take me one hour to get to the shops anyway. So I probably would get a couple of blocks of ice for fridge purposes, otherwise stay put, and make do.

One Store ? Hmmm. It's going to be my local Grocery Superstore in Llansamlet. Lots of food, meds etc and this time of year lots of gardening equipment. I figure I'm ok to survive the initial chaos and just want that extra safety net 'to be sure'.

Ogre

Nice idea - but I agree we are set so that would not be something we would be doing - BUT:

If free money was part of the test then we WOULD go shopping! You can never have enough preps!

So it is off to Sauders (local Mennonite bulk food store). New big drying wooden racks, more canning jars, Seeds, seeds, and more seeds (need to replant next season). Now off to the bulk food part – sugar, flour, rice, and just about everything in the dried food area (beans, fruit, etc.) . meat dept. next – lets see what can we buy and then can at home? Lunch meat, bacon, pork chops, hot dogs. OK so now we are getting the basics let go and have some fun! BOOKS – look at all the books – cook books, kids work books, bibles. Soaps (all kinds of homemade scents here),snacks (sorry), Ooh Look another canner and other goodies (Lori says- I want that and that and we NEED that!). OK so it the hour up? we are out of here. outahere

one problem and it is a good thing you said the drive to don’t count seeing we will have to make 2 trips with the van to get it all home!

shrug

Where I would shop is pretty dependent on what the SHTF event is...if it is weather related, then probably Lowes or Home Depot. If it is terror related, probably walmart. If a catastrophic natural disaster such as the new Madrid cutting loose, I'd probably still go Walmart as I doubt the New Madrid will do much damage in DFW. Same for epidemic. Walmart here as some of the better stocks of 'stuff' a wide variety of items, if not of brands.

For any scenario; eek probably Fred Meyer. More of anything, last minute grabbing, type of preps. It's grocery, hardware, clothing,kitchen, books,all together. Maybe 2 more bottles of wine, crackers & large shrimp. Maybe more canisters of propane............is there ever enough? Maybe one last fond look around at the way the world was in '07. haveniceday

This is a tough one, usually when storms are going to hit I'm already set, and we would get notice along with everyone else, so I'm assuming it won't be weather related. If I were to get notice of an event and was at home, I would probably stay there. So lets say I'm out and about, and somehow get a call about a probable event from a credible source.

If the call was to say there was flu discovered and we were going to have a 'lockdown' in a few hours, I would probably go to the closest Sam's and stock up on food, vitamins, and other stocks - maybe some things to beef up my gardening and help the neighbors if possible. My spending would be from money we have set aside for vacations, college and other things that would not be quite as important.

If the call were to be about a terrorist attack (ie possible dirty nuclear), I might stop at the closest hardware (Lowes, Home Depot etc.) to pick up things to help shield my home from radioactive fallout and to store water in, plus batteries and some solar lights - although most likely I would head straight home to fill every container and tub with water and begin taping over the windows and doors to prevent air seepage, move my herb and vegetable pots inside and moving as many necessities as possible to the basement.

Those are what I think are the most probable threats right now, however there are too many different scenarios to know what my reaction would be to each one.

Dawn

There's only one big store near here. Walmart. I wish we had a Lehmans! Love the catalog! I'm guessing I have funds to spend!

I would pick up more soap, vitamins, duct tape, nails, kid snacks, rope, another tarp or two, tin foil, socks and undies, canned veggies, SPAM and deviled ham, coffe and snuff - the last two to keep hubby content. Then I'd go home and fill up all the containers and pick whatever was edible outside and zip up the place. And pray.

Although I'm not a Walmart fan I'd probably choose them. They are the only local shopping venue that has food, meds, household goods, gardening stuff, canning stuff, gas cans & gas station, automotive. Not the best quality but shtf I'd settle for what they have. Of course, first stop would be to rent a U-Haul as my car wouldn't hold all that much.

I think it would be walmart for me too as the above reasons chose of many products.Two carts.

Like Skagitgal, I'd hit Fred Meyer. They have just about everything. I'd get more nonperishable protein items (peanut butter, canned meat and fish, beans and rice), salt, water purification tablets and the best filter they carry, a bunch more white gas for the Coleman stove, and a healthy supply of vitamins, cold medicine, and first aid supplies.

if i have to go to a store... gas of course cause it takes about 1/4 tank to get me there and back... powdered milk! I would stock up on powdered milk.

Great exercise.

I will go all the way TEOTWAWKI -

I would to do Wal Mart - same reason as everyone else- with my van and trailer. I would concentrate on those things that add variety, don't store well and are considered a bit of luxury!-

cheese, oils, butter, white flour, chocolate candy, some meats, fresh fruit, fresh milk, deli meats, fun crackers, popcorn, pickled beets yumyum All the chocolate chips and nuts!

Lots of bottled water. Vitamins/ Toilet paper/ Laundry soap Bleach, and vinegar.

Duct tape & LOTS of batteries; 2cycle oil for my tiller

LOTS of paper, pens, pencils for school work

Some nice shower gels/body lotions and powders- sunscreen and bug spray!

back pack for son. Some new jeans and socks for all. Zippers and buttons, thread - to sew up all the stored fabric eventually.

extra hoe for extra hands working in the garden, and hoses for garden, as well as all of the veggie seeds and fertilizer. Canning lids-all. (nothing greedy about me) Any herb plants. Bags of charcoal and lighter fluid. 30 bricks or pavers (to build an outdoor oven floor- the rest will have to be from cob)

All the propane and extra parts for my camp stove. largest wading pool for cooling off in summer heat.

Take as much $ out of the bank as possible at the ATM

and I would fill up my gas barrels that I put in my trailer at the pump outside - does that count as the same store?

Hey, guess I just made my shopping list for this year, huh?

Originally Posted By: Callie

...... Hey, guess I just made my shopping list for this year, huh?

And THAT is exactly what 'Scenarios' and 'UNreality Games' are all about. They are constructed, NOT meaning to relate to real life in the usual way. They are set up to produce thinking AND feeling. What results, if all goes well, is insight that *does* relate to real life. So while most of us wouldn't want to spend an extra hour at any store (and some MrsS'ers are really quite set and don't need to), the parameters are designed to set up a cognitive and emotional "playground". The limit of ONE store gets your mind working within a smaller picture which most people find more managable. The limit of ONE hour is supposed to (if you *believe the game*) get your adrenalin up -- sets you up emotionally just marginally. Sometimes when we trigger our emotions, we can discover information that isn't readily available otherwise. Frequently, it can trigger thots of what is *truly* important. Be truthful....how many of you thot "Chocolate!" chocobunrofl Too much emotion can delete rational thot and so is not productive. Here in UNreality land, you might trigger a bit but not an overload. [Practice in Emotional Response is an interesting & useful exercise, BTW.]

After running this Scenario, do you find any item(s) that you probably better get on over to THAT store and get now? After all, it's only in UNreality that you'd get that ONE hour insider head-start. Did it help with prioritization? ONE hour - ONE store. WHAT is so very important to you and how can you plan to obtain it now? Another way to find your priorities -- What would I just be kicking myself for not buying, procuring, learning, or doing while I had the chance?

Secondly, it's part of prepping to have a List of things that do not store well like powdered milk, chocolate, oils, chocolate, batteries, ice, meds, fresher seeds, meat, wine&shrimp smile , duct tape, gasoline, and...chocolate! Knowing where to get these quickly while it's still safe is good planning. ['Cept us way out rural folks won't have much of a chance for that. shrug ]

This was a poignant statement by Skagitgal
Quote:
Maybe one last fond look around at the way the world was in '07

Don't be in such a panic about this challenging tomorrow that you fail to appreciate the absolute marvel that is today!

Anyone else going to give this a try? If you post your list, it helps many others who are so shy to post or too new to feel like contributing (tho that's invalid and we'd want you to anyway!!!) You just never know who will read your list and gain insight that could save their necks one day.

MtRider clap

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie but I'll jump in anyway. Hopefully I would have thought ahead enough that both of my daughters would already each have a list and so would I. One would go to the hardware store or Lowes for whatever was needed there, the other daughter could be getting gas in everything, and I would hit Walmart (only because in a town of about 26,000 there is only one other grocery store left in town after the supercenter came to town a few years ago) I would try for fresh produce, flour, meat, soaps, oils, dairy products and for sure chocolate anything!! Now all I have to figure out is what I would need from the hardware store and what would be needed from the grocery store to compliment what I already have. It is good to read what everyone would pick up, it helps everyone with their own list if they missed anything. Thanks.

Powdered milk and packs of bread mix.

The two items we consume lots of.

In Maui (hot/humid), duct tape didn't last long at all. {About 5 minutes if you left it set out in the powerful sun} But anywhere, the tape can get 'old' and either be ungooey or too gooey. I've got an old roll right now that sticks more like a Post-it. frown I'm not sure *how* old it is...I found it in a box somewhere... rollingeyes

Powdered milk will last quite a while {somebody say how long} esp. if you keep it in the cool, dark place. But it's got less of a shelf-life than some things. Does someone know if it loses nutrient levels? I know it can taste off as it ages.

MtRider

I would grab a couple of country hams, the kind that do not need refridgeration. I could flavor a lotta beans that way, LOL!

More dried milk, batteries, fresh potatos and onions. More beans and rice. Charcoal.

Hmm. I need to make a list for this kind of situation and put it in my wallet!

I think I would stop at our local super-center...

new underwear and socks for everyone

new shoes for everyone (two sizes up for the kids)

couple pairs of work clothes for everyone (two sizes up for kids, again)

vegetable oil

lard

candy/chocolate

canning lids

garden seeds for neighbors

extra bottled water

extra bottled juice

a pitch fork

GOOD ideas on the undies/sox and SHOES!!

But I gotta ask.......a pitch fork????? laugh

MtRider

What's wrong with a pitch fork? I have two of them. They're good for shoveling soiled animal bedding and turning compost. They also make a formidable weapon.