MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Any canning going on right now?

Thank you for the responses about the plums - I will make some after they get ripe here.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi: Sorry I was on holidays til now and didn't read your request. This tastes awsome it is from Bernardin Complete book of home preserving.

Makes about six 8-ounce jars

6 cups halved hulled strawberries

2 cups choppped cored peeled tart apples

1/4 cup lemon juice

4 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup tequila

1/2 cup orange flavoured liqueur

2 tbsp stawberry schnapps (optional) I don't use

1.prepare canner, jars and lids

2.In a large,deep stainless steel saucepan, combine strawberried, apples and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat,stirring constantly. Add sugar, stirring intil dissolved. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens about 25 min. Remove from heat and test gel. If gel stage has been reached, stir in tequila, orange flavoured liqueur and strawberry schnapps, if using. Return to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, for 5 min. Remove from heat and skim off foam.

3. Ladle hot preserves into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace. Wipe rim Center lid and screw down band til resistance is met then increase to fingertip-tight.

4. Process in a water bath completely covered with water for 10 minutes.

Hope you like it

So far this year I have only been able to put up 8 qts apricots, 10 qts peaches and about 6 batches of Annies Salsa ( I only did one batch last year and ran quite short on it.. figured 6 ought to do it this year) and 12 qts grape juice.

Just picked a bushel of pears from the neighbors trees though so I will be doing pears really soon. Everyone around here loves my pear sauce.

I just put up 5 more guarts of tomatoes, 7 quarts of turkey soup and 6 pints of turkey meat.

I was hoping to get a bunch of corn done, but when I called the farm they didn't have any pick your own fields open.

oht,nak

I did another batch of zuchini relish, 2 batches of grape jam. I'm working on pickles right now. Just taking a break to feed baby girl. I also have salsa to make today. I got a half a case of tomatoes yesterday and 1 1/2 bussales of peppers.

I'm doing tomatoes today. I really need to get at least 30 quarts done by tonight. Thursday I put up 15 quarts of tomato sauce and 10 half-pints of pizza sauce. I got sooo many tomatoes to do it's crazy!

Hope this doesn't show up somewhere strange, I am challenged in posting, etc. Just canned 2 qts and 6 pints of taco meat. Yesterday, 8 pints of purple hull peas. We planted late and they grew like crazy, just not producing as much as we like, but are very worth the trouble doing small batches.

Canned 12 pints of meatballs today. Two didn't seal, so we had those for supper, don't know what I did wrong. Not bad tasting at all. I enjoy canning and I sure do like to eat.

gimmeaminute

I have 12 quarts of HSmom's zucchini spaghetti sauce cooling on the counter and another 6 quarts and 6 pints, in the PC waiting to come out. YUMMY!!!!! We had some for dinner and all the chicks had seconds!

I bought nine bags of thee kilos each of cheap carrots and have been canning them like crazy. I discovered, though, why they were so cheap...some in each bag were going all icky and runny and rotten. I finished about half and then called the supermarket to complain (nicely). The man asked me to come in and bring him a bag to show him, and, when I get there this morning...he said he'd had to throw away an entire shipment, and gave me the money back for all nine bags.

So I have 100 pints of carrots for free.

Archived