MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Any canning going on right now?

Sjllm, that is alot of applesauce ! I hope you have an easy way to make it all, with either a good food mill or something you use.

I juiced and froze 15 lb. of Concord grapes for jelly. Today I am going to dry some apples.

Even small amounts really add up. I make small batches of things sometimes, too. Soup will be so good this winter, Virginia.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Virgina, that is a lot of sauce. LOL. We use the Squeezo to make the sauce with.

I just canned the pot of sauce that was in the fridge, I got 18 qts. Plus I put some in the freezer and a large bowl in the fridge. I am so glad to have that job done with!!!!

I also canning 12 pints of sauerkraut today.

Happy canning everyone!

Didn't can today, but did wash and chop 25 cups of rhubarb to can later this week. Instead made 5 loaves of banana bread and 3 pans of lemon bars instead...Makes my chicks happy! Sent some back to the dorm for Aaron and his roommate...Makes him a very popular boy!

I am trying to decide what to do with all the plums I got yesterday and last week. I really don't have room in my freezer for them, don't need jam (I will be making peach jam), and there are a lot of them.

I also have about 10 pounds of pears to do something with.

Lucky I have a little time, they are big, but not ripe yet.

I just took 21 pints of hamburger out of the canner. Didn't get to can the blue pumpkin...Nope...Coronas(Noah) followed me around with it all morning...Rolling it to me, pushing it, dropping it...He wanted pumpkin cookies...That was that! How come when they are little and red headed and cute...They get anything they want ? Inquiring minds want to know...His siblings!

Plums dried are prunes ... I have one daughter who likes Saltitos (spelling?) or something like that--some Mexican type candy that are plums dried with salt or chili powder I think never tasted them myself, the thought disgusted me.

Might try to look up a recipe

http://www.nikibone.com/recipe/fruit/plums.html

Angela, that link will take you to some recipes for plums... including these:

Plum Glazed Chicken

16 ounces plums, pitted and cut into bite size pieces

2 tablespoons margarine

1 onion, finely chopped

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup prepared tomato based chili sauce

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon ginger

2 teaspoons lemon juice

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken

Preheat oven to 350F. In a blender or food processor, whirl the plums and a bit of water and sugar until pureed. Melt margarine in a wide skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Stir in the plum puree, brown sugar, chili sauce, soy sauce, ginger and lemon juice. Cook, uncovered, stirring often until slightly thickened. About 15 minutes. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken in a lightly greased baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, basting with plum sauce every 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and bake, basting occasionally, for 30 more minutes. Heat the remaining sauce and pass it at the table.

Plum Jam

6 cups plums

1/2 cup of water

8 cups sugar

1 box of fruit pectin

Pit and chop plums. Add water; simmer 5 minutes. Measure prepared fruit in 6 or 8 quart sauce pot. Measure sugar, set aside. Stir pectin into prepared fruit. Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar; return to a full, rolling boil. Boil hard one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necesary. Carefully ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process all jam 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. Remove jars from canner. Let jam cool 12 to 14 hours. Check lids for seal by pressing down on the center of the lid. If the lid springs up, it has not sealed and should be refrigerated or reprocessed immediately for the full length of time, with a new lid. Remove bands, and clean exterior of jars and lids. Store jam in a cool, dry, dark area for up to one year.

Plum Cobbler

1 1/2 pounds plums, stone removed and roughly diced into large pieces

1 cup caster sugar

1/2 cup water

1 cinnamon stick

2 teaspoons corn starch

Dough:

7 ounces self raising flour

4 tablespoons caster sugar

3 ounces butter, diced into small pieces

1/2 cup buttermilk

1 tablespoon of caster sugar

Plums: Place the plums in a saucepan with the caster sugar, water and cinnamon stick. Place the saucepan over a moderate heat and bring it to a steady simmer. Cook the plums until they are tender and the sugar and water has reduced down to a sticky sauce. If it is to runny take a couple of tablespoon of it and mix it with the corn starch and then stir it into the plum mixture so that it thickens it slightly. Pour the mixture out evenly into a 9 inch round glass oven proof container.

Dough: Sift the flour into a bowl and mix in the flour. Add the diced butter to the bowl and rub it into the flour until it is fully incorporated and you have a crumb like mixture. With a wooden spoon mix in the buttermilk mixture. Stir the mixture vigorously until it forms a moist dough.

Preheat an oven to 400F. Sprinkle some flour over a work top, place the dough on the surface and roll it out until it 1 inch thick. With a small biscuit cutter cut out all the dough. Place the rounds of dough all over the plums with a little space in between them. Sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and place the plum cobbler in the preheated oven. Cook the Cobbler for 20 minutes until the scones have risen and they are golden brown.

To Serve: Serve the plum cobbler hot or cold on its own or accompanied with good quality vanilla ice cream, cream or home made custard.

Pork Chops with Plum Salsa

Plum Salsa

4 medium size red or black plums, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch chunks

1 medium size mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks

1 small red onion, chopped fine

1 to 2 medium size jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped fine

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons ground coriander

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 1 inch thick boneless pork chops, about 6 ounces each, trimmed of visible fat

Make the salsa: In a medium size bowl, mix the plums, mango, onion, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice, coriander and salt until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use. In a small bowl, mix the coriander, paprika, salt and pepper until blended. Rub the mixture over the pork chops. Wrap airtight and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Heat a gas grill to medium high, prepare a charcoal fire, or heat a broiler. Place the chops on a lightly oiled grill rack or broiler pan rack. Grill or broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat source for about 10 minutes, turning once, until browned on both sides. Transfer the pork chops to serving plates and serve right away with the plum salsa alongside.

Plum Sorbet

Plum puree:

3 cups ripe red fleshed plums

1 cup boiling water

2 cups caster sugar

1 vanilla pod

1 cinnamon stick

Plum Puree: Place the boiling water and caster sugar in a saucepan and stir them together until the sugar has dissolved. Add the vanilla pod, cinnamon stick and plums to the syrup and place the saucepan over a moderate heat. Bring the syrup to a simmer and reduce the temperature slightly. Leave the plums to cook gently for 10 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and remove the plums with a slotted spoon and leave them and the syrup to cool. Cut the plums in half and remove the stones from them. Roughly dice the plums and place them in a food processor or blender and puree them with cooking syrup. Set the puree aside until well cooled.

Sorbet: Place the puree and syrup in an ice cream machine and allow it to churn until the mixture becomes firm. Place the sorbet in a well sealed freezer proof container and freeze until ready to serve. If you don't have an ice cream machine place it in a freezer proof sealed container and place it in the freezer for 1 hour then remove it and stir, then return to the freezer and take it out and stir it every 30 minutes for 2 hours then freeze it until ready to serve.

To Serve: Remove the sorbet from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Serve the sorbet in bowls with slices of plum and garnish with mint leaves.

Frost warning two nights ago. A bushel of green tomatoes.

Green Tomato Salsa today!

The recipe, called "Salsa Verde", is in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, 2006 edition p. 210. It makes tasty chili verde when poured over porkroast leftovers.

(Don't mix in those partially ripe, orangish tomatoes. Makes the color unappetizing.)

Still have more green tomatoes. Next stop, the USDA canning book: Green Tomato Pie Filling. Delish!

GOODMORNINGORANGEJUICE.gif

I posted pictures in another thread, but I can post them here too. smile You will see the dates on the pictures. smile

JUICEICANNED.jpg

DCP_2563.jpg

DCP_2566.jpg

STEW3.jpg

BEANSPORKANDTOMATOSAUCE.jpg

That is what has been canned around here lately. smile

haveagreatday-1.gifHUGS34.gifHAPPYSATURDAY6.gif

Canning Apple pie filling canning right now. And..also did another batch of applesauce earlier this morning. I am done with apples....until I pick some more, haha!

Short list of canning projects coming up:

Spaghetti Sauce

Split Pea soup with ham

Bean soup with ham

Turkey broth

I'll post as I go...LOL

This afternoon, I canned 16 pints of beef stew.

Currently, I have 6 quarts of chicken, and 1 pint of innards (for the dog) in the canner.

I have beef stock in the works. I'll can that up once the chicken comes out.

I have the chicken backs making stock, and some extra carrots and potatoes that I didn't need for the beef stew. I'll use those for a basic chicken soup, but probably not until tomorrow.

Well, friends...

This is getting to be such a *LONG* thread - nearly 200 posts - so I'm going to lock it up tight in the canner and start a new thread.

Maybe... "Current Canning"? "Currently Canning"? "Look At Me... I Can Can"??? leb.gif

*WONDERFUL* watching all of you doing such beautiful stuff... KEEP IT UP!!!

clapsmiliethanksclapgoodpost

Archived