MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Homemade Sterno

I took a vienna sausage can, tore off the label and cut a strip of cardboard to the same height as the can. Rolled the cardbord and pushed it into the can. I poured melted wax into the can which filled the spaces in the cardboard. I filled mine a little too full and had to melt off some of the wax, but this is a GREAT use for leftover candle wax or candles that have melted to where they are of no good use. You can also use paraffin. I wish I'd have taken pics of the process, but I don't always think of stuff like that!

100_1783.jpg100_1782.jpg100_1781.jpg

You can use an upside down coffee can with a "door" cut out of the bottom (top if it's upright) and a couple of vent holes punched in the other end on the sides. This will make a cooking stove.

Fun! My DH thought of that same idea, but for use as a firestarter. He wrapped strips of cardboard in some light wire, and dunked it all in molten wax until it was saturated, then cooled.

I do something similar with beef fat, a tuna can, and a cotton ball wick.

Originally Posted By: Vic303
Fun! My DH thought of that same idea, but for use as a firestarter. He wrapped strips of cardboard in some light wire, and dunked it all in molten wax until it was saturated, then cooled.

COOL! ( well maybenot - lets say HOT IDEA!)

we use the cardboard egg cartons filled with wax and drier lint/yarn as firestarters.

Thanks Kayla. I am going to try this with some saved tuna cans. Nice to see pictures.

Stacy

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. We used to do this type of cooking(using the large coffee can with a "door" cut out and we used tuna cans)in Girl Scouts, long, long ago. I remember frying an egg and cooking a hamburger and it worked pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: Spider
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. We used to do this type of cooking(using the large coffee can with a "door" cut out and we used tuna cans)in Girl Scouts, long, long ago. I remember frying an egg and cooking a hamburger and it worked pretty darn good.

We made pizzas on tortillas.

bounce
Originally Posted By: Leah
I do something similar with beef fat, a tuna can, and a cotton ball wick.

Leah - didn't I see that on MacGyver once? rofl

*wipes the tears from laughing from her eyes*

Seriously - I LOVE this idea! (ALL of these ideas on this thread actually) You never cease to amaze me with your resourcefulness. These are the sorts of things I am writing down. Thank you!

Her fingers wont be working much longer without a printer. I have learned that I need triple the ink than I normally use when I sign on here. After awhile I couldnt read my writing.

Originally Posted By: furbabymom
Those are awesome - we used to use them in Girl Scouts all the time. Called them Buddy Burners... they worked really well!

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name of them, but we called them Buddy Burners too.
  • 11 months later...

Welcome to MrsS, CESigleyWV. balloons

I'm glad you brought this thread forward. I've just made some of these...except I still have to melt the wax into them. I used the tuna can size. I'd think that the vienna sausage cans would just be less heat per unit. Maybe have to use two unless you didn't want too much heat???

campfire

Going to be looking for cast-off candles at garage sales this summer. Cheap source for the wax.

MtRider [just not enough hours in the day to try all these cool ideas! ]