MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

On turning 40

Yup, that's what's bothering me, in two days I turn the big *gasp* 40. I have no idea why this depresses me so.

So many have REAL troubles like Lois and her Mom, Spitzfire and her husband...I felt like I couldn't complain.Darlene and her troubles.

I feel so whiney (with you like cheese with whine?)

but at least here I can admit I'm emotional about it. I keep asking myself, what have you really done with your life? Keep seeing all the weight I gained from a rough year.

and I know this is silly, but really suddenly feel old. I KNOW forty is not that old but I feel it. I know it's all rediculous and petty but it is bugging me.

I reread the desterada and that helped.

Oh sorry gang,I'm hoping just *voicing it* will make me put it in a different perspective.

Cookie

Over-the-hill-and-picking-up-speed

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

You can't help how you feel "speeding over the hill" Cookie!

All those birthdays after 20 ....ending in "0" are big!

I felt the same way....I'll be 43 on the 21st........And it's true as a rule....your body starts doing weird thing at 40 for some reason......like needing reading glasses all of a sudden....start getting grays poppin up.....Hey wait till you start peeing your pants.....that's a good one.....

It bites.....not much any of us can do....

Aren't you glad i posted....i'm doing a great job of cheering you up aren't i????

Well Welcome to the 40 club!!

And a very Happy Birthday wish to you!!

Cheer up will ya.....don't like to see Cookie crumbling!!!!!!

Huggies!

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bc.FHX9AZpQpY9DM

Hey your just a baby, Cookie. I will be hitting the big 50 in 2003 and will be able to join AARP...LOL. In the meantime I am revamping myself into a younger me before I hit 50. Now lets see there will be the botox injections for a little bit of that frown line between my eyebrows on the forehead and it will be time to change hair color. A soft auburn, shoulder lenght or nape of neck lenght would look good especially if its layered in a youthful style. I have a very young looking face otherwise. I just want to be a diva diva diva, girl.

I want to slide into the DAME EDNA Everage Look when I hit my seventies. She/he is a classy looking hip old broad with her cateye glasses and purple and pink hair.. That will be my swinging 70's makeover

In the meantime I will buy those thong panties and push up bras and wait for the sex goddess in me to take over.

( I may have to wait for a long time and I am having second thoughts about those panties and push up bras)

I am just going to have a good time growing mature. I cant wait!!!!! If I'm a real good old gal I might treat myself to a night at a Chippendales Club. Can you picture me in Cat Eye Glasses and purple and pink hair strutting my stuff with the Chippendale Dancers who will lack teeth, forget their dentures and will be wearing long underware with hearts on them as they dance.

[This message has been edited by reci (edited August 04, 2002).]

Guest Guest

It's just another day, Cookie...

I always tell myself to consider the alternative to another birthday. grin.gif

Sure makes *me* feel better!

Ummm, reci? You *do* know Dame Edna is a cross-dresser??? I think she/he's riot, as a character. grin.gif

**Cat sinks into a comfy chair, dissolving into giggles as she pictures reci at "Aged Chippendales Club"...**

------------------

cat.jpg

Cookie, I turned 41 this year and decided, somewhat like Reci, to fight like heck!! mad.gif

I've started taking better care of myself, more exercise, more healthy food, less junk food. I'm looking and feeling better than I have in years. I intend to have Fabulous Forties, Fantastic Fifties and ..... Sexy Sixties?????? shocked.gif

------------------

gl.jpg

You are all kids. smile.gif in just over 5 months I will turn the BIG 60. Just remember, you are only as old as you feel. smile.gif Some days I feel OLD and other days I don't feel so old. smile.gif

If I remember right, it was the year I turned 35 and then again at 49 that bothered me. But, we just go on as if we aren't getting older and we will be fine. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Cookie, Part of that "feeling" is hormonal your body is beginning to feel changes not necessarily, all bad. Most of the tiredness that ladies go through at this point in their life is because of diet.

Rethink your eating habits and try to get on a healthier one, but make the changes slowly not all at once. eat more fresh raw veg, whole grain breads, and make sure you are getting the amino acids these are found in fish, olive oil (virgin), and flax oil or seeds. Get some evening primrose oil and take at least one capsule a day.

------------------

lois.jpg

wiggle2.gif

Hi all, I'm with Snowmom, you are as old as you feel. Hey Beb I beat you by a year, I turned 44 in June. A few gray hairs, have to pee more often, perimenopause, although I am young I think memopause crept in early, will go see doctor next month, no period for 3 months, I am on prometrium.

I take vitamins three times a day, try to eat well, although I sometimes forget to eat, and exercise, keep busy, I never sit down. painted my ceilings on my day off yesterday. cheers.gif

Alittle of this never hurts.

grin.gif

------------------

brigid.gif

Guest Guest

Hey Cookie Jar, go ahead and be depressed for a few days. I was too when I hit the big 40 until I realized nothing was any different than before, I was just afraid it was going to be. Of course, I'm 55 so 40 is now a young chick! grin.gif

------------------

dee.jpg

Guest Guest

Age has never bothered me. I guess because I have so many cool people in my life who are all different ages. But I must admit, I can't wait until my next birthday when I turn 50! I think that is the coolest! Especially with all the junk I've been through in the past few years. To be a half of a century old is just too cool!

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

I will never get over the image of Reci-ala- Dame Edna (helllooo Possums!)

Thank you everyone, I just need to say it out loud, brood,and start coming around to my usual positive thoughts. I know oyur all positively SHOCKED to learn that basically I'm a pretty cheerful person, and so my brief moodiness has startled my friends.

The idea of taking this by the horns and doing something positive is slowllllyyyyy happening. Hmmm, I've always wanted to really clean up my diet (not an easy thing to do in a city where you can get pastelitos at 3 AM ... LOL.)

More exercise will help build my moral and make me at least fell if not look all that better.

I'm getting there, just have to *survive* a party and overzealous relatives with bad puns and go on from there.

The cookie will not crumble. grin.gif

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

It isn't regressing, it's learning to say what you think. We get to the point that it is not important what the idiots think, only what is true and honest.

We learn what has real value to us and say so. (Can you tell I'm 60?)

MiscDogrun.gif

------------------

lois.jpg

Guest Guest

I'm afraid I'm the baby of the family here at 31 LOL, but I must say most of my favorite people in my life have been older than me, including many of the wonderful friends I've made here smile.gif

Cookie, my grandmother didn't start to paint until she was 60, and she turned out to be an incredible artist. You can do anything you want to do no matter when in life you deicide to! smile.gif

------------------

becca.jpg

Well whenever I turn 40 I'll let you all know. (Momo is laughing hysterically to herself..they can't see over the internet) BTW if you marry a much older man you can join AARP way before 50. I was in my early 30's when I joined courtesy of DH.

Funny you should say that MoMO.......my hubby got an invite to join AARP when he turned 50 in March......then he signed up......he figured what the heck.....(he didn't tell me)

One day his card came in ......i laughed for an hour.......can't believe he's old enough for an AARP card........then he said "here dear" .....i looked......it was a card with MY name on it...........it wasn't funny anymore!!!!!!

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bc.FHX9AZpQpY9DM

Oh Deb (Beb), oh yes, that was funny. I needed to laugh. smile.gifgrin.gif This way you can get some discounts too. lol.gif

I could tell you a good story and it was before DH or I was 50. We were out to eat and he, yes, he got a senior discount. smile.gif It just go to show you that sometimes they take your graying hair to mean you are older. smile.gifgrin.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Oh Snow that reminds me of a time about 15 years ago when we were visiting DH's old stomping grounds in Ohio. He loves to go to Bob Evans to eat and get the sausage gravy and fried mush. So, we went there for breakfast and when his mush came it was only one slice. He was irritated and figured they had cut back the portions from the two slices they used to serve. Then I looked at the bill and they had written down Senior mush, which is only 1 slice. I had a good laugh over that one. He wasn't anywhere near a senior then but I guess to the young waitresses he must have looked ancient.

Why we are all just babies ladies even you Snowmom!!!!

I do know that the Grand Dame Edna Character is a cross dressing male but I like her/his style of dress as the Dame. I also want to be like that old woman on the Hallmark Cards.I dont exactly know what her name is but some of those cards are great and pretty funny.

We can be a bunch of rowdy " middle aged " ladies. What fun we are going to have in our maturing years although experts say the older you get the more you regress back to your childhood. Wooooooohoooooo I'm all for that!!! smile.gif

Guest Guest

Giggle. Cookie, you ARE a baby! grin.gif at least to me (and a few others here) {naming no names} wink.gif I remember when I turned 50 I had the first birthday party I'd had in about 40 years. It was fun, but it reminded me that I'm on the flip side of life. However I figure I'm in late middle age, not early old age. hehehehe

------------------

frannie.gif

OMGosh,

you guys are sooo funny. I love the junior AARP squad. grin.gif

Yup, I just had to get through the day, look in the mirror and see it was still me and go on from there. I realized people will still love me the same, I wll age gracefully ( and still fight wrinkles..LOL).

Tomorrow is another day..LOL.

Cookie,

40 and counting

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi! By the time I read this your birthday had come and gone, so belated happy birthday! I guess I am the new baby of the family. I'll be 26 in January. Sorry, no funny stories about senior discounts (unless I use my parents, but that wouldn't be fair...my Dad just turned 60 on Oct.01). So, I'll watch you all and try to age gracefully as well... smile.gif

------------------

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, and His love endures forever!

Happy belated Birthday Cookie!

Hope you had a good one and are still around. Your best days are ahead! My DH and I both turned 45 in July and are just fine! The good news is that my doc says i went through menopause while I wasn't looking. Hasn't bothered me a bit and it's been a year now.