MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My husband's 95 pound and my 58 pound weight loss...

Leah

Hi. My name's Leah. wave

Um, well Kayla asked me to post about my husband's 63 pound and my 58 pound weight loss.

It took about 9 months, the doctor told us to take it slowly and our bodies would never know the weight was gone. That seems to be true, I've kept all but 2 pounds off this winter while basically ignoring the problem... I'm starting up again, because I still have 20 pounds to lose to get down to my pre-baby weight - no, I'm NOT going to mention how old my youngest baby is... whistling

To start with , I got a "Body by Jake's Total Body Trainer". It's a little machine that is easy for a very overweight couple to use. You just bend forward and back without straining, and think nothing is going to happen because it doesn't hurt.

The machine came with a formula to figure out each person's diet numbers, they are all different. I can post that if you want me to - I think I can explain it well enough...

Kayla, help please - Is this the sort of thing you wanted to know?

I think it's wonderful that BOTH of you were able to do such a wonderful job! I think it figuring out your numbers is a very interesting thing. I mean you can go online and find "calculators" for that.

So did you change your eating habits? Or did you guys just get up and move?

That's terrific Leah. I'm in the process of losing 50 pounds. I started with the new year & am half-way. I've just watched my portions and choices, using WW points as boundaries.

I'm curious, was your dh self-motivated or did you bring him on board? My dh is about 50-60 pounds overweight and very unhealthy (diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, family history of early heart attack, etc). I so wish he'd lose weight - for all of our sakes.

The young fellow who worked at the desk a little way away from DH went in for a quadruple-bypass. He is 20+ years younger than my hubby, and a lot thinner.

At the same time, I had lost 23 pounds.

So-o-o, he finally asked me to figure out his numbers.

I had him write down everything he put in his body with no changes, and then compared those numbers with the ones I got from 'Body By Jake'. He does well with the fat and the carbs, it's the calories he needs to watch. In my case, it's mainly fat grams I go over.

The moving, not so much. Hubby is gone 12 hours a day and more for work and commuting, so has little desire to run marathons and such when he IS home. I started a little yoga and bellydancing. We both do the bending thing on the machine - it's a minimum of 50 each way every day, takes about 4 minutes.

thcongratsrainbowstartextandgraphi.gif to both of you. smile You are doing so great.

Wish we could get some of the extra pounds off both of us. Old Pine needs to lose more than I do, but I need to get rid of 20 pounds at least. I don't want to get down as low as I was before I started having babies. But would be nice to get down some. smile

Now, Old Pine has always been heavy/over weight, but he would like to lose about about 40 pounds, I think. I'll have to look into this thing you are using. smile

th79-1.gif for posting. This is the kind of posts we like to see. smileth6dee1705-2.gif

me too me hubby are both trying to lose weight. i have lost 29 and hubby has lost 29 we still have more to lose me around 22-25 to go hubby 20-30. we are trying to excersie and watch are calories.

me too me hubby are both trying to lose weight. i have lost 29 and hubby has lost 29 we still have more to lose me around 22-25 to go hubby 20-30. we are trying to excersie and watch are calories.

It takes a few steps, but I think I can make it make sense...I'll do it for a 200 pound person who is sedentary.

Take your weight and multiply by 10. (200 x 10= 2000) mark that 'A'.

Take 'A' times .20. That gets you "B" ;(2000 x .20 = 400)( if you are active use .40; if very active use .60)

Add "A" + "B" = "C" ; 2000 + 400 = 2400 "C"

Take your "C" - 750 = "D" ; 2400-750 = 1650 "D"

Now take "D" x .50, then divide the answer by 4

1650 x .50 = 825 divided by 4 = 206.25 (this is your carb grams)

Take "D" x.30, then divide the answer by 4

1650 x .30 = 495, divided by 4 = 123.75 ( this is your protein grams)

Last, take "D" x .20, then divide answer by 9

1650 x .20 = 330, divided by 9 = 36.66 ( this is your fat grams)

So the 200 pound sedentary person would have - 1650 calories; 206.25 carbs; 123.75 protein grams; and 36.66 fat grams.

-------------------------

Did that make sense?

We try to eat 5 servings of fruit and veg, and 3 servings of dairy in those numbers.

I get the dairy by using fat-free half&half in my coffee. Hubby uses cheese for most of his.

He needs to watch the calorie count most, because he likes beer and wine; I need to watch the fat count most because I like chocolate...chocobun.gif

We recalculated after 50 pounds, to be sure we were still staying below what we needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby's down another 8 pounds. Yeah!

• 3 weeks later...

your diet sounds good you and your husband are doing a great job. i started WW where you count the points. keep up the good work .

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby weighed today - down 83 pounds total!

Hubby says thank you very much! He's quite proud of himself.

He's buying 'new' clothes because the old ones fall off him - it would NOT be good for his reputation to 'moon' someone...LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Good going - back atcha!yahoo.gifheadspin.gifIt makes you feel good, doesn't it?

We just need to keep plugging away. If I eat too much on one day, I might cut back a little on the next, but there's no point beating myself up about it. This is a lifestyle change for us, not a diet.

He weighs himself at work, the scale I used to use was in a store but they took it out. Bummer, it was almost exactly what the doctor's scale read...

Yes, it does! I'm the same way- no diets for me. If I feel I eat too much, I exercise somewhere extra (sometimes formal exercise, sometimes I might hand wash the linoleum instead of mopping, etc) to compensate. I've also started making healthier food choices. I eat a lot of fish and raw veggies anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still eat chips & chocolate and such, but not near as much as I used to. PMS is the WORST time for me *sigh* If I can come out of that week each month and weigh no more than I did the week before, I'm happy, LOL.

And doncha just hate the difference in like every scale you get on?

• 1 month later...

Hubby down 89 pounds now! YOWSER!

• 1 month later...

Doctor has Hubby maintaining at 95 pounds down for a few months.

His body needs to get used to this size, and to feel that it's his normal weight.

Oddly enough, I think nearing retirement is giving him the push he needs to stick with this. He says he doesn't want to sit in a rocking chair on the porch all day.

• 4 months later...

Hubby (whom you all know as Hippie Dad now) is starting to lose weight again.

He's down 104 pounds!!!!!

And fellows, he still gets to drink beer!

Archived