MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Does anyone feel that situations and cirumstances make them depressed?

Dee

Reci, I have those cycles too, more often than I care to admit. But I turn it over to the guy upstairs and say let your will be done lord not my will. Then I try to find something to keep myself busy.

My health isnt what it was 3 years ago and with 2 mild strokes and the hanta virus behind me in that time frame, I cant do the things that I always did for myself and my family. To be honest there are days I just feel plain useless, but in reality I know I'm not.

I've had lots of small ups and downs in my life. There is something wrong with someone who tells you they've never had problems. I try to be upbeat so I refuse to let "little" things get to me. Unfortunately, I've had 2 terrible periods in my life where I almost "caved". It just seemed like things would never let up. A couple of years ago I had so many deaths and illnesses in my family I was starting to feel like Job. I guess these rough spots help us appreciate what we do have when things turn around.

• 9 years later...

(This is an old post and the names are not correct for the posters.)

I think there are probably alot of people feeling this way with the state of things nowadays.

I know when it happens to me, it is quite the rollercoaster ride. Things will seem to be going ok..then..BOOM! frying%20pan.gif something *bad* to deal with. I think to myself: Why did I let myself get so comfortable....I started taking things for granted and now look what happened.... Yanno...the whole *Blame Game*.

Then there's the whole self-pity thing. I think we all do it when things get rough. Why ME?? :gaah:

Then I get MAD :angry: ....at myself: How DARE I feel sorry for myself? Don't you know there are people out there with much bigger problems? You should be THANKFUL for what you do have! (all said to myself).

So I *toughen up* :baseballbat: and *go busy* :dusting: ...thinking that if I do all the *right* things, then things ought to go *right* FOR me.

Then they don't. :tapfoot:

I finally adjust and deal with whatever problems need dealt with (with a bit of Help) and things seem to go well again. :cloud9:

.......for awhile. dry.gif

How about you? Anyone else seem to be going through this more than normal?

:bighug2: and :kissy:

Edited by Necie

I wondered why this one popped up from the past! :huh:

For me, I can chug along pretty well with the day-to-day stuff. Yes, I have the emotional ups and down but DH and I have fewer stresses with only one child at home now. (Well, MOST of the time, anyway... :whistling: )

But Mom's stroke and then death were a REALLY tough thing last year. And it has been even worse dealing with her estate (mostly people) since her death.

Luckily, things that bad don't often happen, so I'm just praying, or trying to pray my way through it all. And it's hit some pretty big *bumps*... hit a hard one last Saturday. :(

But I go through the same steps you've described. I think many, if not *most* of us do. It's kind of like the stages of grief that were popular talk in the 70s.

I try to deal with it through my faith, although being human sometimes makes that less easy than some might think. Being human, we get mad, feel hurt, and want to strike back somehow. It's not EASY to do what you know you should.

The economic worries and stresses of seeing so many more "desperate" people, more crime in rural areas, constant bombardment from the media of social unrest, rising prices, etc. just add to the stress. I worry more about leaving my daughter home alone even for short periods. :(

It seems to help to have a place to come talk it out.

**Links arms with Necie** (anyone else? :D )

~Wherever we go, whatever we do, we're gonna go through it together!~ choir.gif

(from "Gypsy")

This whole summer has been a roller coaster for us. First we're getting the house, then not, then maybe, then a different one, and then a different one yet. Now supposedly we are within a week of being able to get in the original one we wanted. We'll see. Definitely ups and downs! Meanwhile we are still in our tiny travel trailer--which has shrunk 3 feet since adding a large dog to the mix. Yikes!

I talk to God a lot and have really tried to live each day as it comes and keep myself busy. All of that has kept me sane :cheeky-smiley-067: so far!!!!!!

Miki, you used a word there, sanity.... I seem to remember that from a long long time ago :):cheeky-smiley-067:

2010 and 2011 have been very difficult years. At times I wondered if it was worth ploughing on and muddling through.

New Year's Eve at 6pm the phone rang and they called to say my dear ex-SIL had passed away. Knowing I can't even fill up the car with gas right now, let alone a ticket to Israel, all we could do was talk on the phone and try to comfort my beloved ex-MIL who was more of a mother to me than my own mother ever was.

And I found in the end, how harder it gets, the more I grow.

Yes from the meds my stomach hurts so much I barely eat but I lost 7kg. Yes my son is ill but he is rethinking his life and I have faith in him to come up with the right solution.

Yes people drop dead left and right and lean on me but come here and I'll comfort them.

Yes I fell like a ton of bricks for a wonderful man who turns out to be very ill and has a really bad outlook for life. Who wants to spare me getting too involved cos he might not be around too long. With a disease you don't even wish a nasty person, let alone such a caring one.

It sucks and with the smaller things I get depressed. Now things are getting harder faster, just seem to suck it and go on with life.

It's as if I'm getting into higher gear and mentally bracing myself for things I've only seen in Africa.

Dear Christy, you have so many BIG burdens and obstacles in your life right now that I can't even imagine muddling through but you do so with an amazing attitude!!! You seem to have a good attitude even when you are down! I value your friendship more than you know!

Don't laugh but I'm truly thankful for being able to take a hot shower on demand. At the BOL I have to fire up the bathoven first and that makes the bathroom nice and toasty. Just takes an hour or so to heat the 80 liters.

Here, just turn that tap and hey presto, hot water. Only here people would understand and appreciate that me thinks.

Hugs and prayers to Christy and to all who need them here...including me.

I don't regret seeing 2011 gone. It was a difficult year for a lot of us. I hope 2012 will be easier for all of us. :pray:

I try to stay optimistic for this new year but I can't help feeling impending doom.

I understand Christy and CGA. The many years I trudged to the laundry mat in all kinds of weather makes me thankful for my washer and dryer at home too. They are so old that I'm truly thankful whenever they offer up one more load. My sink was broken from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Was I ever glad to be able to do my dishes again when my son fixed it! None of that is earth shattering but it did make me mindful of what I have and take for granted.

Coming here lets me know I'm not alone in my struggles.

I love you's guys. :sad-smiley-012: <-----------probably hormonal again

Jeepers, those old washers and dryers are actually much better made than the new ones. If you can find someone to keep them going, do it! If you ever have to get a new one, now you pretty much HAVE to buy the "fix it insurance". You can pay nearly as much for one element of it as for the unit. :(

Considering that I lived many yrs without running water, yes, I really and truly appreciate a hot shower on demand! I also really appreciate the washer and dryer AND having a real stove with an oven. You can't imagine unless you've done without them for prolonged times.

I get that, CGA! I am so looking forward to a washer/dryer or just washer! Also can hardly wait to sit in a chair WITH ARMS on it! Or a couch with arms. And a full size tub will be heaven! I've only taken showers for 9 years! I kinda hate it that stupid things like that can get me down. I'm glad it doesn't keep me down!

And compared to what many are going through at this time, it's just "dust in the wind"!

Necie, if ever I came into money, this would be THE purchase. The first two years I was working at the BOL, I only could warm water with a solar bag or on top of a hot woodburner. And have my portly self standing in a small zinc tub. :grinning-smiley-044:

Washing hair was something else hahaha

Grime, dirt and dust from breaking down walls, hacking years of paint off and peeling wallpaper, it left me in need of a bath sooooooooooo bad.

This would be my ultimate fancy snazzy purchase:

http://www.weltevree.nl/NL/home/dutchtub_4p-30?gclid=CKK626H_ta0CFQaGDgodOT7wnw

I'm glad it doesn't keep me down!

^^^^^ This!!! ^^^^^ :cheer: It's the key...!

All of life changes. It has twists and turns and slides and falling in a mud hole.

The key is to remember that "this, too, will pass". There is always somebody who has it worse, always somebody you can encourage, and hopefully there are others willing to give *you* an encouraging word so that you, too, can live to get up and get through another day.

grouphugg.gif

And Christy... that looks like a giant teacup!!! :D Neat!

I LOVE that giant tea cup. I want one. Just the thing to relax in and take one's worries off......well one's WORRIES!!! Christy, is that thing VERY expensive? I can just imagine the shipping costs too. Hmmmm I bet there's a way to make one though. HMMMMM...

:bighug2:

Yes that thing is very expensive, near 5000 euro. If ever I win the lottery, you all get one :)

But a friend of mine looked at it and came up with a solution.

A thick heavy duty hollow pipe, bend in a spiral with a few pieces at the bottom to hold the wood. Cos the wood burns inside the spiral and heats the water that way. Connect upper part of pipe to bottom of any humongous fireproof tub you can find, lower part to down end of tub.

Water heated circulates and you are sitting pretty outside in the warm water with a glass of whatever-you-fancy in your hand.

Even in winter you'd sit in hot water if you feed the fire and have fire burning next to you.

Now if the memory serves at all, aren't there huge metal tubs or transport crates? Inside could be worked to make it ergonomic and rounded for a comfy seat.

I'd actually prefer something like a step to sit on on different levels.

Oh the sheer thought of such joy.

• 5 weeks later...

How about galvanized horse water tanks....come in all sizes. Now I just need someone who can weld and that coil thing.....

Ah, for a tub. Have only had a shower for the last decade and a half. That is one realllly cool tea cup, Christy. Simplicity at it's finest. Will work post-Hooey too! :thumbs:

MtRider [...a lot of worries can float away with a good soak :bathbaby: ...well, temporarily at least! ]