MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

recipes for keeping the kids busy

mistylady

I got these off the web. I haven't tried them yet but I plan to. Have fun and let me know how they are!

Fun paint recipe

making your own finger paint.

Materials Needed:

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons salt

2 1/2 cups cold water

2 cups boiling water

Food Coloring

Instructions:

Mix the 2 cups of flour with the 2 teaspoons of salt. Add the 2 1/2 cups of cold water; stir until smooth. Gradually add this mixture to the 2 cups of boiling water. Boil until the mixture becomes smooth and thick. Add the food coloring until you get the desired color.

Cooked Playdough (flour and salt)

3 cups flour

1.5 cups salt

6 tsp cream of tarter

3 tbsp oil

3 cups water

Pour all ingredients into a large pot. Stir constantly over medium heat until a ball forms by pulling away from the sides. Knead the playdough until the texture matches playdough (1-2 minutes).

Store in plastic container. Should last for at least 3 months.

NOTE: This recipe is made from edible ingredients and not toxic in small amounts for children. However, a dog got sick after eating a batch of playdough. It is not intended as a food item. Please be sure to put it away after your children have finished playing.

Notes from Visitors:

After my cousins and I made playdough, we played with it and didn't put away. In the morning it was dried. I added a little bit of water to it and it turned soft again.

Just like the REAL Playdough (so they say)

1 cup flour

1 cup water

1 T oil

1 T powdered alum

1/2 cup salt

2 T vanilla

food coloring

Mix all dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until reaching the consistency of mashed potatoes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and food coloring. Divide into balls and work in color by kneading.

Rubbery Playdough

2 cups baking soda

1 1/2 cups water

1 cup cornstarch

Mix with a fork until smooth. Boil over medium heat until thick. Spoon onto plate or wax paper.

Cornstarch Clay 1 (Porcelain type)

Ideal for items under 3/4" thick

2 cups (500 ml or .5 liter) cornstarch

2 cups (500 ml or .5 liter) baking soda

11/4 cups (310 ml) cold water

In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and baking soda. Gradually add water until the mixture is smooth. Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches a moist mashed-potato consistency.

Turn onto a plate, cover with a damp towel. Knead clay when cool enough to handle. Clay is now ready to shape into craft projects.

children can add food coloring to make different colors.

roll out the dough into 1cm thick (under 1/2 inch) and have children make hand prints.

takes a long time to air dry or dry in a warm oven (200F) but it may brown a bit.

clay may crack if items too thick or bulky

• 3 years later...

Archived