MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ArmyOfFive4God

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 24

Leaving the goliath post #23 behind and starting fresh, what have YOU done this week to be prepared?

You go girl!

I had a canning marathon:

7 quarts plus 3 pints of Turkey Vegetable Soup

9 pints of Bean and Pepper Soup

19 quarts of dog food

The rest of my house is a mess! lol

canningcanning and more canning. I'm up to my eyeballs in tomatoes...which is what I should be doing right now instead of floating around here! I put up another 8 quarts of corn yesterday. I'm about as tired as I want to get. I think I'll cry if DH comes in this house with one more ear of corn!

Q

I blew my $ on a vacation but did buy a handcrank eggbeater, 2 cans hash, 4 parmelot, box of 60 single serve water soluable vitamins (fizzy) in cranberry. Publix was having a buy one get one free sale laugh..can't remember all I did get!

This week, I ordered all of my canning equipment and tools, and last night, I purchased 2 cases of jars, and some extra lids.

I have also been processing some Lake City brass for reloading.

We killed our first chicken in 40 years. My avatar Speedy-Red.

Sad, but she was eating eggs and could not be stopped. It IS good to know we could do it without trauma to either the chicken or us...

Gutted her, skinned her and cooked her. Noone has eaten any yet, but I feel we have taken a good step forward.

Originally Posted By: Leah
We killed our first chicken in 40 years. My avatar Speedy-Red.

Sad, but she was eating eggs and could not be stopped. It IS good to know we could do it without trauma to either the chicken or us...

Gutted her, skinned her and cooked her. Noone has eaten any yet, but I feel we have taken a good step forward.

Now this is something I will struggle with. Is it easier after the "first time"? I know if my daughter is hungry then sentimentality will be out the window, but I struggle with the thought of ending the life of a critter. Please tell me I'm not the only one!

Originally Posted By: Melissa
Now this is something I will struggle with. Is it easier after the "first time"? I know if my daughter is hungry then sentimentality will be out the window, but I struggle with the thought of ending the life of a critter. Please tell me I'm not the only one!

I killed in 5 ducks in one day...that was my first (and so far only) day of butchering. I had no help. The 5th was as hard as the 1st. It's still hard when I think about it.

That's because I was raised 'right,' and you probably were too. We were taught not to tease the dog, to be gentle with kittens, to leave wild birds alone. We were taught that you don't hurt animals. Then there are stories of serious nut-so's who started on their path to serial murderer by killing and torturing puppies. We were taught that you don't kill things (except bugs).

At the same time we are completely detached from the origin of our meat. Hamburger comes from the drive-through. We don't think about the fact that a steer was killed, gutted, dismembered, cut into small pieces and some of those pieces of formerly living flesh were then ground up and cooked to make our yummy burger.

You wouldn't run out in the fields and start beating that steer with a baseball bat would you? Yet it's okay to eat his ground up flesh.

Feeling conflicted and confused yet?

Unless you are a vegan or vegetarian who feels it is immoral to eat meat, you should have no more difficulty killing a chicken for dinner than you have picking one up at SuperWalmart (except plucking - plucking is a pain!!).

Am I there yet myself? No, but at least I'm a step closer than most other American women in that I've done it and I've thought about it a lot.

Melissa- you are not alone. I grew up around hunters, and most of them tease me for my sentimentality. I killed a deer with my car, and cried for 3 days, and I love deer meat!! I know in TSHTF situation, I could kill to survive. After all, I've been fishing my entire life, and how is killing a fish different than killing a deer or chicken? My head knows where meat comes from, but it chooses to ignore it!! It is definately something that I would have to slowly accustom myself to (the killing part). I've thought about it a lot, and I've been around it (to an extent), so maybe I'm a baby step closer than some!! hahaha

I think she will be eaten tonight.

I don't feel bad for killing her, but I AM sad. She was a good chicken. We treated her with respect to the end, and she wasn't scared.

I gave thanks in my heart for her rather like my ancestors did with the animals they hunted. That might sound kind of weird, (my grandmothers would probably have laughed at me) but it makes it feel better to me.

I hope that makes sense.

I would love to have chickens (for eggs and meat), but I do struggle with the idea of killing them. Yes...I can eat meat from the store. The difference......I looked in their eyes! eek How could I :chop: them! Okay....I know if things were really tough and we were hungry we would do it.....maybe with eyes full of tears...but we would. I have always loved animals.

When I was little we had chickens and rabbits. When we killed "Grandpa" (my favorite rabbit) we ate him! eek We all ended up sick! Don't ever name your animals "Grandpa" rofl

This week was first aid week. Added a couple bottles of peroxide, and a bottle of generic aleve and a few other things. Hubby is now majorly on board. He said we would go price a vacuum sealer this weekend. So we can start stocking big time as money allows

Leah, so sorry (((HUGS)))

Mt3b, Do you have a Tuesday Morning near? I got my foodsaverfor $64.99 from there. It was literally 1/2 price of the MSRP of $129.99. Just a thought for you! Ross would be another, sometimes they get stuff like that in.

I know what you mean Leah, DH and I raised a calf for beef, well when it came time to have it slaughtered we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it....the bad part about it was WE WEREN"T GOING TO BE THE ONES KILLING AND DRESSING IT. Oh well we both HAVE killed and dressed food, so if we HAVE TO, we know how and we can.

As for what I have done this week:

Picked up 8 light sticks and a good plunger for my WASH bucket.

Canned: 24 jars lime pickles

12 jars cinnamon pickle

48 pints lima beans

Unknown amounts of tomatoes....I just finally QUIT

counting.

Oh yes, I received a butterbean sheller for free from an older friend who decided to clean out his garage and didn't want or need it any more....I am dancing. Now off to peel and can MORE tomatoes.

Whitewolf

This week we bought 1000 pounds of hard red Montana wheat, 100 pounds of white sugar, 50 pounds of brown sugar, 100 pounds of salt and 4 gallons of canola oil. We also put up 7 tons of hay for the critters. The kids and I picked and canned raspberries. We have 18 liters of canned berries and 8 (1/2) liters of jam. My husband bought an AR-10 .308 and 300 rounds of ammunition. But the best accomplishment of the week is that our 18 year old daughter passed her EMT class with a 93%! Yeah!!!

A note on the maxi pads - They do work great for trauma dressing, but of course, are not sterile. I make my own pads. They work better than any I have ever tried, are just as convenient, and are washable and re-usable, which of course, for we survival types, is a huge bonus - one less things that we have to stock up on - especially if you have a lot of daughters!

Also, we order bulk medical supplies from a place called Moore Medical. They have great prices. We are able to outfit all of our jump kits, bug-out-bags and home quite economically.

I put this post on "What have you done this week to prepare", but it was the wrong one LOL!

Slaughtering your own animals does get easier the more that you do it. I too, grew up with hunters. My Dad and brother hunted to keep us in meat all winter. We always thought that deer and elk were beautiful, but tasty too! Raising animals for slaughter is slightly different, but not too much. We just give our cows lovely names like hamburger, and T-bone. Our kids feed and water them, and occasionally ride them (our own private rodeo), but have no problem when it is time to eat them. It is just a fact of life. We too, teach our kids not to kill animals for the fun of it. But there is a difference between killing just to kill, and slaughtering for meat. We have to be good stewards.

Yesterday I picked, cleaned, blanched and froze almost seven pounds of beans from our garden - almost three pounds of yellow beans, and almost four pounds of green beans.

Our little five-foot rows are really producing!

80 pounds dry dog food

21 pounds dry cat food

28 pounds dog biscuits

six cans of dog treats (the chicken kind Walmart has)

5 pounds honey

two big jugs of pancake syrup

2 pounds each of brown and powdered sugar

Still thinking about the Remington shotgun...

Walmart had pint size clamshells of blueberries for 99 cents each. I now have 6 pounds in the dehydrator or dried and in the jar. (Course, we don't use very many blueberries, so that may be a year supply lol)

Dora

Winter wood supply is in - split and stacked. Have close to twice what we really need for a winter - which gives us an emergency supply in addition to the base current need.

Planning to go to the u-pick berry farm next Saturday with DD and do our annual day of blueberry picking. Put up eight gallons of frozen whole berries last year (approximately two five gallon buckets full of blueberries). We are using the last bag right now - so it worked out perfectly. Aiming for the same amount this year.

Garden is producing well. No canning yet - the beans and tomatoes are just coming on. August is my big canning month.

Dehydrating currents for winter baking.

Oh DD, I'm so jealous! Our farms lost their blueberry crops in the April freeze! *WAHHH SOB SOB WAHHHH*

Tonight we went to a Neighborhood Watch meeting! smile It is good to get to know more neighbors. smile We have some that are very observant which is great! We try to be as well! I think it is great in the idea of preparedness to make friends with your neighbors.

Yep it's good to know your neighbors, but just be careful who you let know about your preps. One person who knows could in passing tell quite a few where he plans to go if TSHTF.