MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ArmyOfFive4God

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 24

Thanks HSMom...sounds like a good spaghetti sauce ( once I leave out those nasty mushrooms). I will have to try it.

Maybe so, but mushrooms and I don't get along...they kind of stop me breathing...since I like to breath, I try to avoid them

Just finished 12 half pints of wild plum jelly. One is not quite full, guess we will have to eat that one Awww - but even the foam that I skimmed off is good on toasted English muffin.lol

I'm with you Dora...that foam can be "mighty tasty". I always put it in a container in the refrigerator to eat on muffin, toast, etc. Seems a shame to waste it.

I ordered extra set of filters for my water filtration. Canned 16 pints of okra for frying and MORE tomatoes...not complaining though, if we don't get rain soon there won't be any tomatoes around here. Between no rain and these temps, EVEN the kudzu and poke salad are wilting down.

I ordered a sprout master and some broccoli and alfalfa sprouts today from Walton Feed. I'm still trying for a canner on eBay (some of those folks bid up used ones higher than new!) and now I'm researching dehydrators.

Anything NOT to grade papers! whistling

I bought 25 kilograms of skim milk powder today. EXPENSIVE It is in buckets - waiting to find room in the freezer.

I also lucked into some Sunripe pure orange juice in individual serving sizes. It works out to be .50 per litre. Bought 45 packages (litres). The best before date is Aug. 20. but it will be just fine for a long time. (.50 is much better than the regular price of $1.87).

Made 6 loaves of white bread, but so far 3 got ate, so only 3 went in the freezer. Bought 25# of sugar, more oil, can goods, meat for the freezer, extra foil, toliet paper, rice, noodles, spaghetti, and coffee. The can goods have been getting low and really need to work on that more.

My first big thing for emergencies - got a little stove and a case of butane to fuel it.

Now that it's here, I see on the back of the cans not to store in habitable areas. Hmmmmm. The only place I can think to put it is in my bedroom closet, and the air does exchange freely with my bedroom. Personal opinions, think this stuff will be OK in there?

Willow, IIRC, you're in an apartment, so no crawl space or garage. Do you have separate storage unit? How about a deck/patio? I'm not familiar with butane, but those sound safer.

I went back for more orange juice today, another 40 litres, (packaged in 200 ml tetra packs). Now I'm curious what the return is on the packaging when it is recycled. That will make the juice even less than .50 cents a litre.

The corn is harvested and put into the freezer, mostly on the cob. I am making "Corn Cob Jelly" right this moment. It's a first for me, I didn't even know there was a "red" corn but saw it listed in lots of recipes on the net. So far the mixture looks pretty good. Just need to get into the jars now.

The onions are hanging to dry until I can get to dehydrating them. We have some banannas to do first.

am canning up more of my old dry beans to make them a grab and eat item and to rotate stock as we will be hitting our local grocery store for their caselot sale that they will have in the next month usually the end of Aug. first if Sept.

HUBBY GOT ME A CANNER!!!!!!!!familie.gif

Now I need more jars and lids...

Way to go Leah's hubby. He deserves a great big hug for that one.

I'm following Pauline's lead and canning up some beans that I've had in my preps for 6 months or so. I like the idea of them being ready to eat after heating them up a bit.

Yesterday, my mom helped me process some veggies. We froze 6 quart bags of tomatoes, 2 quart bags of okra, and 1 bag of cherry tomatoes.

I also froze 6 dozen eggs. The hens are laying well right now but they won't be this winter and I refuse to buy store bought eggs.

Today, I cleaned out my bedroom closet so that I have another place to store my preps. One thing about this house, we don't have enough storage areas so I'm having to make up my own.

We got some Mason jars, a dehydrator and a food sealer today! I'm still trying to see if I can't get a canner from eBay, but for now, I'll practice canning jams, jelly and making jerky!

My Money for school came today! 3k and change. 500 of it will go right off the bat to school books and supplies. 500 of it will go for 100 dollars each month extra living expenses (gas etc).

500 for clothing and shoes for the kids and I. That leaves 1500. Out of that I just bought some things for the BOB's. (189.92)

I went to Walmart.

I have three kids and want to make them each a bag too. So I bought three small first aid kits, one for each bag, and then one large first aid kit for me. I priced everything individually and seperately and buying the kit was a deal.

Four canteens. 6 bucks each. One for each of us.

Two 6 gallon water containers. I got the hard plastic ones because they were more than half the price of the kind that collapses. 9 dollars each.

I got Hydrocortizone cream (generic)2 dollars. My kids are always getting bug bites.

I got a topical first aid antibiotic. I bought the name brand because it had pain reliever in it. 2@4.97 each

Lip balm (3) (.98 e4ach)

Flashlights 2.97 for 2 flashlights including the batteries! I got two packages, for a total of four flashlights.

Decks of cards, one for each backpack, along with a deck of Uno for my backpack. I should have checked with the dollar store to see if I could have gotten them there for less. I paid 2.22 per pack of cards.

Immodium AD Expensive stuff but it works great. I got a huge package of it, going to keep it in a mini bag with the first aid kit for use now as well as later. I am going to devide them out with my tillia making little pouches as is described in a Rubicon article. I am also going to make up little daily pill packs for me (I take a lot of medication) and daily vitamin packs for the kids.

I got a tarp for now, because for 6 bucks it is big enough for all of us to fit under and I can't afford a tent if I am going to be buying water barrels this week and almost 3 months of food.

For 6 bucks I got water purification tablets. I got one for each backpack.

The kids and I have started 'Survival training 101' each week on our family night (Monday). We do an activity related to survival, and like last week, we talk about what to do in case of TSHTF and they are no where near me. This week we are going to put together our BOB's and learn how to use everything.

All of the kids are learning to cook (they are 9-10-11) They can make a mean roast, or ham dinner, chicken roasted with potatos. Without my supervision. They can all make pancakes from scratch and are also better than me at making eggs over easy --our favorite way to eat them. (Mine always break) They know how to make an omelette in a bag with the eggs we store, and they know how to make one in a pan. Now we are looking to transer making those things to making them over a fire, which is a whole different story.

I am thinking about getting a BBQ when they go on sale this fall. Good investment or no?

Forgot something. Waterbarrels 14 bucks. x3 55 gallon

10 gallon water barrels x2.

Bung wrench

It is being delivered for 20 bucks on Wednesday.

We went shopping today. I found some good prices at a local Big Lots store. Bought 2 packs of socks for hubby and 2 packs for myself. Also bought him some boxer shorts. I'm trying to stock up on things made with cotton. I have a feeling that those items are going to keep going up in price, like everything else.

I purchased some Hydrocortisone cream, some Anti-Itch Allergic Cream (generic for Benadryl cream) and an 8 pack of Zest bar soap.

I bought 3 cases of quart jars and 3 boxes of rings/flats.

I bought some apples and some canned pineapple rings to dehydrate. We love dried fruit as snacks.

Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts
Bung wrench

$20.00?
I am green with envy

I have a grill and a smoker could not live without them. When you cook hamburgers grill a bunch and freeze them they are great.

In the summer I grill a lot in August, it is too hot to heat up the kitchen.

Originally Posted By: cookiejar

$20.00?
I am green with envy

Well that is just the delivery charge for the five barrels, and the bung wrench and pump.

total cost 120 dollars including delivery. However a friend of mine just ordered ONE water barrel and paid almost 100 bucks for it. I wish I could give her mine and buy more for myself. Unfortuantly she is in another state.

Froze 3 quarts of chicken broth, 4 quarts of spaghetti sauce, and 6 lunches for DH. Those are short term preps for sure, but will help when money gets tight again.

Mo7

Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts
Bung wrench

You got a wonderful deal! I paid $188.00 for two 55 gallons water barrels delivered to my door! I am happy for you!