MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cookiejar

Growing up with Clotheslines!

I was talking with a friend and we were discussing the merits of growing up with clotheslines. How there were whole "methods" to placing laundry such as undies NEVER on the front line, they always had to be sandwiched between items.

The merits of looping sheets (fold hanging under the line with the ends pinned to the line or the fold over the top and pinned on the top. clothesline

Plastic pins as opposed to wooden ( I liked wooden).

Lines versus "Umbrellas". Umbrellas were so good for limited space.

Did you grow up with clotheslines? Or just the *wonders* of dryers?

cloud9

Clotheslines for me. There are some who match the colour of the pegs to the colour of the clothes, and both pegs must match!

I love clothes lines. Apart from the fact that they are cheap, there is something about the smell of fresh washing off the line, a good breeze and things dry so much nicer. Synthetics have less static when dried on a line. When we moved to this town I was told to never leave washing out over night in summer as the ash from the sugar cane burnoff would land on it. But that hasn't been a problem.

And now I need to find somewhere to hang my washing - because on Sunday afternoon DH and a friend killed my clothesline! They were taking a trailer under/past the line and caught the line on a high spot and the line ( a rotary) twisted out of shape and pulled over very low to the ground. I would need to be on my knees to use it! Or on a ladder for the other side!

We had a clothes line. I was raised in Ohio and I can remember mom hanging out jeans in the winter and them freezing stiff as a board! LOL

We had a clothes line. it got used as a badmitton net, football goal line, out of bounds line and when my dad shot enamel at GE we would hang his clothes on the line after work and hose off the excess enamel so mom could wash them. Most complaint I ever heard was from someone that the towels were to rough.

We had a big clothes line with metal poles that always had bees inside and I remember my dad putting paper in the ends and lighting the paper to kill the bees. I remember helping my mother when I was little once and told her there was a big black cloud and she said it was a dust storm coming and to hurry. That was in Okla. She said she got a dryer because once my dad helped her and went out to bring the clothes in and they were frozen, but we always had clothes hanging up even with a dryer. My husband and I starting hanging up clothes on a line when we had a place with no electricity and we all like the rough towels and how the sheets and things smell. I am noticing more people hanging clothes up now. clothesline

I grew up with coin-op dryers in the apartment building laundry room.

But now I use an umbrella line (not for space, but for simplicity). I like the rough towels (they dry better), and I LOVE the smell of the sheets.

GOOD wooden pins are getting very difficult to find. The ones in dollar stores & at Walmart are crap. I was thrilled to find about 75 good ones in an antique ( eek ) store this summer - for about $4.

I grew up with clotheslines, no washer or dryer for my Mom until after I left home. I remember as a little girl we had a wringer washer but then came into the modern world with an automatic washer. My mom didn't have a dryer until after I left home in the middle 60's. This was Southern CA so hanging clothes out year round wasn't a problem.

I use the clothesline in the summer but am thankful for a dryer in the winter with our severe winters.

You're right HSmom about clothespins. Good ones are tough to find!!!

I would love to have a clothesline again. I grew up with one and like Kelly and others here, I remember my mom drying clothes in the winter, (freezing temps.) and then brining them in from outside. She also used the basement and we had a wood stove down there which was nice. We knew on washday, we would have a nice warm bedroom to go to when we went to bed that night. smile Yes, the fire was kept going a lot if it was really cold outside, but always on wash day in the winter. smile

We had a ringer washer and the only other one I remember my mom getting was one of those washers you spin dry in and then she did get a dryer in the later years. Like Dee, after all of us kids were gone from home. In fact, I think my parents had moved in town, off the farm before she got a dryer.

Anyway, like I said, I would live to get a clothes line put up again. And, yes, the wooden clothes pins for sure. smile

I grew up with both but my Mom rarely used the dryer. I have both now but use the lines almost exclusively as I like hanging out clothes. They smell so good when they come in.

I smiled at the description of how to hang clothes though. When we were in Amish country recently I was impressed at how orderly everything was hung. I wondered at not seeing 'unmentionables' though. Perhaps Cookie's mention of hanging them so they can't be seen might explain that. All pants were hung together, all shirts, all diapers and etc were all hung in neat rows. Almost everyone hung their dresses on hangers on the line, I assume to help dry more wrinkle free. It showed that they were using wringer washers because of the like clothes all being washed together and then hung out at the same time. It appealed to my sense of order.

I have spent many hours using a wringer washer, usually by choice and often in the yard right near the clothes line. They were hung more orderly at that time. Now they are hung generally as they come out of the basket. They dry just the same and I don't have to impress the 'jones'. Besides, no one can see them. We still have a wringer washer and use it for heavy or bulky items but I'm grateful for my automatic washer and dryer when the winter winds blow icy blasts of snow around.

My choice is wooden pins too, both the older clip ones and the old heavy pegs but they are really difficult to find. Has anyone made peg clothes pins? There is a real art to making them so they don't split. We used to have a gentleman come to the museum years ago who demonstrated making them but he is long since gone and so far we've found no one to replace him. This might be a good skill to have if the SHTF.

Hugs

We mostly used the coin op laundry to. My Mom did have a old wringer washer once and then we hung them outside to dry or over the radiators in the house during the winter. We also used those radiators to dry our hats and gloves in the winter. I am glad for my washer and dryer. I wouldn't mind hanging clothes outside to dry if I had a place to do it, but since I live in an apartment over a store, I don't have a yard or anyplace to hand them up out side anymore. Once I move, I will go back to using a clothes line, at least when the weather is good.

Living out here in the country I still hang my clothes in order Mother. I guess it was one of those things pounded into my head as a child by my mother and I've never changed. Of course, underclothes are hung in the middle or the back of the line, just in case someone might drive by and actually look! Good grief but I'm a creature of habit!!! omg

Oh and BTW, I was one of the Jones'! wave

When I was 8, we were in Arlington Va.

My Mom had clotheslines across the back yard, nice and neat. Well, my brother made a friend of a squirrel.

Mom would not let him let it in, so one day while she was cleaning we went out back to play. Bob didn't want the squirrel to go hungry so he decided to coat the clothesline with peanut butter to make it easier for his furry friend. In true kid fashion we got caught up in other things and then came in for lunch. While we ate, my Mom dashed out to toss the sheets on the line....

I mean who really LOOKs at the line?

You can guess the rest. grin

rofl

Stacy

I grew up with a clothesline too. I was a about 16 when we got a dryer and my mother still didn't "trust" it! We didn't get a microwave until I was 17. By then "everyone" had one. My mom hated it and now...18 years later she couldn't live without the thing!! She cooks everything in it! I only use ours for popcorn and melting chocolate and butter.

My DD is 15 and when she hangs out the clothes the undies are always on the back line. Now, mind you, no one can see our clothesline from the road but according to her "someone might come over!". She's still hoping Orlando Bloom will be knocking at her door rofl

I hide undies on the inside of my umbrella 'line'.

I don't put shirts all together and pants all together, because I've found the cheap crappy clothespins will hold a waistband better if I go: shirt, pants, shirt, shorts, nightgown, pants, napkin, capris, etc.

And when I speak of "antique" clothes pins, I am still referring to spring clothespins. I've never tried peg pins. The new spring clothespins are junk!

Originally Posted By: Mother
My choice is wooden pins too, both the older clip ones and the old heavy pegs but they are really difficult to find. Has anyone made peg clothes pins? There is a real art to making them so they don't split. We used to have a gentleman come to the museum years ago who demonstrated making them but he is long since gone and so far we've found no one to replace him. This might be a good skill to have if the SHTF.

I have better luck finding the peg pins at the craft store.

I have a regular washer, have ever since I got married. However I still sort the clothes when I was so all the pants are together, shirts, undies etc. When I had a line I would wash undies first then towels. I would hang the towels on the front line and then undies on the back so the towels would hide the undies.

Edited to add...
for those looking for spring pins try here..
http://www9.mailordercentral.com/cumberlan...p?number=005101

I grew up on clotheslines. My mom didn't want a dryer, my Aunt gave her one when she sold a house and the purchasers didn't want it, but my mom never used it. When they moved south into a subdivision that didn't allow clotheslines she started using a dryer, although I've noticed she hangs towels and such on her deck.

I don't have a clothesline, but some portable racks that I put on our deck to dry towels, sheets and such when the humidity is low enough. I pretty much do all our clothes in the dryer. Camping I hand wash everything and hang it on a line at the campsite.

Dawn

We had a clothesline about 7 years ago in our backyard...I learned NOT to leave things out overnight, no matter how horrible I felt (I was preggers w/ DS at the time)...apparently there was a racoon that lived in a little "house" in our backyard and one night decided to play with all my laundry!

We didn't have a washer at the time either, so I had to wash everything by hand in our bathtub and wring it out the best I could. I also learned not to push a laundry basket loaded with wet clothes with my foot, that will pull a low belly muscle...OUCH! (it was to heavy to carry with my belly in the way!), so I tied a rope to it and dragged it behind me, lol.

LOVE the smell of line dried clothes though!! smile

What an image Wiccad! laugh

My Mom still uses a rack dryer but it's hidden in the shower behind the curtain and contains unmentionables grin

Same brother only in his teens was loafing in his room, Mom came by and said "Pick those clothes up and I'd better see sorted piles in the laundry room Mister" in that no-nonsense Mom voice.

A little while later I was heading out the door to run to the store when I pass the laundry room and see my Mom , hands on hips looking down and these two HUGE mounds of mixed lumps of clothing thrown up against the washer.

"ROBERT! I said to sort your laundry!"

The bored teenage voice and a hand came around the corner,"I diddddd..., (eyeroll) Things I need now, (points again Things I need laterrrrrrr."

I hightailed it out of there before the Whacking started... grin

Well, all I know is that I'm not wasting time trying to hide anything...

lol

I remember clotheslines and trying to get the clothes off the line fast as rain was coming or here now!!!!

I grew up with a clothes line. I remember playing in lines of diapers my Mom had hung out to dry when I was about 3 years old! Running underneath and in and out of sheets. (They were my baby brothers diapers, I was a 'big girl')

NOw I would love to be able to dry clothing on a line, but my housing doesn't LET me dry them on the line. @@ Doesn't make much sense.

Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts
I grew up with a clothes line. I remember playing in lines of diapers my Mom had hung out to dry when I was about 3 years old! Running underneath and in and out of sheets. (They were my baby brothers diapers, I was a 'big girl')

NOw I would love to be able to dry clothing on a line, but my housing doesn't LET me dry them on the line. @@ Doesn't make much sense.

I have a folding clothes rack and later this summer I'll try drying some stuff outside, but right now it'd all get a yellow layer of pollen on it and that would not be good for my daughter's allergies (or mine). frown

I grew up with line drying, and in the winter clothes horses in front of the coal fire smile

In the summer, when the clothes horses weren't needed, we'd stand them on their sides with the hinges facing up, throw a sheet over it and voila - a tent.

I did have a clothes line here until a couple of days ago. Now I got an umbrella type smile