MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How do you cook/serve vegetables?

I'm specifically looking for ideas for frozen green beans, peas, corn, as well as fresh carrots, potatoes and parsnips. I have picky eaters.

I have one green bean recipe:

Sautéed Romano Beans

½ lb Romano beans

2 Tbsp Romano cheese

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp chopped parsley

3 Tbsp breadcrumbs

3 garlic cloves

Steam beans; while still firm, drain. Heat olive oil, sauté garlic and parsley until tan. Add beans and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add cheese and bread crumbs. Toss to coat.

Serves 3 – 4 as a side dish.

And one carrot recipe:

Carrots Vichy

3 cups scraped, sliced carrots (about 6 – 8)

½ cup boiling water

2 Tbsp butter

1½ Tbsp sugar

½ tsp salt

2 tsp lemon juice (optional)

Place all ingredients in a saucepan. Cover the pan closely. Cook the carrots over quick heat until the water evaporates. Permit them to brown in the butter. Serve them sprinkled with chopped chives or parsley.

4 Servings

I do a roasted vegetable thing with potatoes, carrots and (sometimes) parsnips. I cut up about 2-3 pounds of them, coat with 1/3 cup oil and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp dry onion soup mix (commercial or homemade). Then roast at 450 for 45 minutes or so.

Here are a couple of nice summer time recipes:

Seasoned Grilled Potato Wedges

Vegetable oil in pump sprayer

4 large baking potatoes, (about 4 pounds), scrubbed clean

3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves

1 tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

Spray cold grill and utensils with vegetable oil. Preheat grill to medium heat. Cut each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges; spray evenly with vegetable oil. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper. Grill 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and evenly browned, turning occasionally.

and

Grilled Corn on the Cob

2 ears corn

2 Tbsp butter

1/3 tsp chili powder

Dash onion powder

Dash salt

Dash pepper

Pull husks carefully from corn so husks remain attached to the bottom of corn ear. Remove all silk. Melt butter and add seasonings and stir. Brush corn with butter mixture. Pull cornhusks up to cover and tie with string. Place directly on grill over medium to hot fire. Cook 30 – 40 minutes. Keep turning. Remove husks to serve.

As for the frozen corn kernels. I put them in a bowl, add some water, a Tbsp of sugar and a tsp of salt. Microwave til hot, drain and serve.

Frozen peas...? I just heat and serve. Boring.

So what do you do?

feedme

I am so uncreative. My recipe for vegetables goes something like this: Open can, pour into pot, heat, put onto plate, eat.

I do however have a wonderful recipe for a corn pudding that I absolutely love. I will have to look it up and post it.

I mostly just heat and serve veggies - they're often an afterthought - "oh yeah, green stuff..."

But, when I think about it, I like to do honey-dill carrots - slice raw carrots crossways, and simmer until just tender (DH doesn't want ANY crunch in his veggies). Drain, put them back in the pan, and add butter, honey, and dill weed (for the two of us, I do about a tablespoon of butter, a couple of tablespoons of honey, and probably two teaspoons of dill weed). Cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.

I also grill tons of veggies. I especially like summer squash, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt, then grilled till they get nice deep grill lines on them.

I turn green beans, pinto beans, and onions into bean salad with oil and vinegar. I use broccoli in casseroles. I make coleslaw with cabbage and carrots. I used peppers, onions, and carrots in fried rice dishes. I have to force myself to eat vegetables, because most of them I don't care for.

JIFFY CORN PUDDING

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1 can cream corn

1 stick butter

1 (8 oz.) pkg. sour cream

1 box Jiffy corn bread mix

Melt butter in dish. Put in corn and cream. Mix together well. Sprinkle corn bread mix over corn and stir all together. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Grubby has the best glazed carrot recipe. I printed it, but can't find it.....I searched here, can't find it..

GRUBBY-----HELP, please reprint your recipe. thanks

steamed carrots, steamed turnips, mash together, add brown sugar to taste, and mix in raisins or crasins, or both.

actually, dried apples definately. you could even put in raisins, dried apples and a tablespoon of applesauce with a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. i think that is what we will have with dinner tomorrow. laugh

can anyone tell me how to cook parsnips? i bought some at the store simply because i have never had them before. sapphire ssid when i bought them "do you even know how to cook those?" i said "no, but I bet mrs.s does!"

I LUUUUUUUUV parsnips! yumyum

You can do 'em just like carrots and slice and boil til fork tender. Leave them as is or smash them a little. I like them with butter and salt and pepper on top.

FRIED WITH BACON yumyumyumyum <--- (double yummy) lol

Fry bacon til crisp. Remove from pan. Add a bit of butter to bacon grease and sliced parsnips. Put burner on med-med/low and cover pan and cook til just tender. Stir as needed. Remove cover and fry til done. Crumble bacon and add back in.

This is my favorite way to do 'greens', too. I add the greens and parsnips at the same time. The rest is the same, 'cept at the very end, I whisk up a couple eggs and stir them into the whole mix. I top greens, 'snips, and bacon with vinegar, butter, salt and pepper.

frozen green beans- I just love these with lots of butter! But for a real snazzy occasion I'll mix them with white sauce, crumbled bacon, top with buttered crumbs and toast under broiler

peas- I like these steamed and added to fried rice, and creamed tuna and peas!

corn- Add to corn bread, add to pancake mix for corn cakes, Shepphards pie

carrots- I like these glazed (I just add a big scoop of honey to the water I boil in and let the water boil gone) or creamed (boil drain, add big glob of butter, stir in some flour, stir in some milk), They are also yummy mashed like potatoes, or mashed with potatoes

potatoes- I like to add shredded cheddar cheese or herb and garlic cream cheese when I mash 'em, or toss with olive oil and herbs and bake

parsnips- I like thise boiled with carrots and served with lots of butter

Root Vegetables:

5 parsnips

5 carrots

2 rutabagas

5 turnips (roots only)

Olive oil

House Seasoning, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel and cut root vegetables into large chunks. Arrange in a roasting pan and season with olive oil and House Seasoning. Roast until tender; first check vegetables for doneness after 25 minutes and then every 10 minutes thereafter. Serve with the pork.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

The other night I fixed Califlower, and I put olive oil, 6 cloves of garlic chopped, lemon juice from two lemons, salt and pepper. I baked it for about 35 minutes. It was good. I saw it on Emeril.

In my green beans I usually use olive oil and sometimes onion.

If I make real potatoes I like to use half and half and lots of butter.

I have a recipe for sweet potato casserole that will knock your socks off. My SIL makes it every year for Thanksgiving. I will find it and post it. Thanksgiving is going to be here before we know it.

Yellow squash or summer squash---

Take a frying pan and and slice one nice size onion throw in pan and saute a min or two in butter or oil. Then slice squash thin and throw in pan and stir and cook a few min. Then add water and put on lid and steam a while until it is soft. Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, return lid and let cheese melt.

I forgot salt and pepper.

This is great!

Take a frying pan and and slice one nice size onion trow in pan and saute a min or two in butter or oil. Then slice squash thin and throw in pan and stir and cook a few min. Then add water and put on lid and steam a while until it is soft. Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese return lid and let cheese melt.

This is great!

Originally Posted By: BiscuitMaker
Take a frying pan and and slice one nice size onion throw in pan and saute a min or two in butter or oil. Then slice squash thin and throw in pan and stir and cook a few min. Then add water and put on lid and steam a while until it is soft. Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, return lid and let cheese melt.
This is great!

Mushrooms added to this is great.

Another way is to steam then add cheddar cheese and bake.
Originally Posted By: Necie
The rest is the same, 'cept at the very end, I whisk up a couple eggs and stir them into the whole mix. I top greens, 'snips, and bacon with vinegar, butter, salt and pepper.
lol My dh would fall over dead if I served that to him! He's SOOOO picky. I'd eat it if you served it to me, but I think I'd rather skip the vinegar. I may cook some up, just for myself and the kids.

Hsmom, I love veggies!

Those potato wedges can be done on a cookie sheet in the oven. You can change it up a bit if you like by changing the spices. Get a large bowl, cut the potato wedges, toss them in with the oil, swirl em around. Add garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Like it a little spicey? Add chili powder and cayenne pepper. Low fat version: Whip up some egg white and use it instead of the oil.

I like frozen peas in a basic white sauce or add them to any cold salad like pasta salad, tuna salad etc.

I usually have a bag of frozen spinach around that

i'll add to just about anything: soup,rice etc.

I read this great!!! book called something like "the 150 most nutricious foods" Some of the healthiest veggies are: Cabbage (so cheap, love it in soup or just boiled with some butter and salt)Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, greens. I like to add chopped greens and lots of garlic to a basic lentil soup recipe.

• 2 years later...

Archived