MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Plastic tubs under the bed

I think I have seen some posts about using plastic tubs under the bed for storage. Seems like they were used in place of a bed frame to hold up the matress. Do the tubs offer enough support so as not to be crushed? How many tubs fit under a twin bed? A double bed? I could really use some major out of the way storage space. Any advice on this practise would be appreciated.

I haven't head of using them to support a bed before. I would think it would be hard to get to them if you need them...wouldn't you have to take the bed off to get to your storage? I have the ones with wheels. They fit under a normal height bed and are the width of a twin bed so they don't stick out.

Stacy

Things to store in totes under the bed or just store under the bed

Paper goods

water

rice

water

dry beans

water

canned goods

water

toilet tissue

water

personal hygine items

water

sugar (sealed so ants can't get in it)

water

salt, baking powder, baking soda

water

corn meal

water

pasta

water

flour

water

pet food

water

seasonal items so you can use the christmas decoration closet for preps

oh and did I mention water

I lost my post. My computer is acting stupid. The sky is black over Houston right now, it is POURING rain! About the tubs under the bed idea. I but wheat in 50# bags at the feed store. I put them in the chest freezer to kill bugs and then usually put them up in buckets I get from the bakery. I am thinking I will up my purchases of wheat, still freeze them, but keep them in the paper bags they come in and then store two or three bags in big plastic tubs. If I can fit three to a tub and fit 6 tubs under the bed, that's 900#'s of wheat under each bed. Out of the way of snooping eyes and my husband. I have been fighting an uphill battle with my husband for years about prepping. Right now I really feel torn to pieces about it because of the urgent need I feel to stock before the prices rise any higher and his hatred of my preps. I KNOW that every bit of my preps will be gold in the near future. I must care for my family! The bible says it will take a whole days wages just to buy a little wheat. Baby crying, gotta go

Originally Posted By: LivinSimple
What sorts of preps would you store in them? Share some ideas with me please.

Let's see, most have canned goods. Make sure to put a label on the side so you don't have to pull them out if you forget what's in them. One has extra sheets and pillowcases.
Stacy
Originally Posted By: dogmom4
Originally Posted By: LivinSimple
What sorts of preps would you store in them? Share some ideas with me please.

Let's see, most have canned goods. Make sure to put a label on the side so you don't have to pull them out if you forget what's in them. One has extra sheets and pillowcases.
Stacy

I have a cheesy little binder (The kind with puppies on it you buy in the kid aisle) grin. In it, I have a list of Bins 1,2,3 etc. and what's in them and the dates. VERY low tech.
I.E.:
1 Can 15 oz Green Beans Mar 4 2008
That's it. Very simple. I just number the bins. I know the bins upstairs are certain #. The binder is so non-descript that most people's eyes pass over it.

Since most house are climate controlled, you could put most anything. I have those preset sealed pouches of chicken and tuna as they are flat! Cans of goodies. Things like that. laugh

Measure the space you want to use and just head to the dollar store for bins. I bought the more expensive ones from Walmart cause there was a sale.
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, here we go!

See the futon with an ottoman?

DSCF1533.jpg

Tah-dahhhhhhhhhhhhh! The futon not only provides a spare bed but storage hiding as does the ottoman (futon was a gift, ottoman and bins from Target on sale)

DSCF1535.jpg

I can get three bins or two and a spacebag of blanket/bed linens. Not too shabby huh? grin