MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Unusually beautiful lunar eclipse Aug 28

PureCajunSunshine

A real treat for midnite owls...a spectacularly colored lunar eclipse on August 28. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it on the porch.

solar-eclipse-lunar-red-bg.jpg

A Dreamy Lunar Eclipse For August Skies

by Dr Tony Phillips

for NASA Science News

Huntsville AL (MSFC) Aug 05, 2007

Close your eyes, breathe deeply, let your mind wander to a distant seashore: It's late in the day, and the western sun is sinking into the glittering waves. At your feet, damp sand reflects the twilight, while overhead, the deep blue sky fades into a cloudy melange of sunset copper and gold, so vivid it almost takes your breath away. A breeze touches the back of your neck, and you turn to see a pale full Moon rising into the night. Hmmm. The Moon could use a dash more color. You reach out, grab a handful of sunset, and drape the Moon with phantasmic light. Much better.

Too bad it's only a dream...

Early Tuesday morning, August 28th, the dream will come true. There's going to be a colorful lunar eclipse visible from five continents including most of North America: map.

The event begins 54 minutes past midnight PDT (0754 UT) on August 28th when the Moon enters Earth's shadow. At first, there's little change. The outskirts of Earth's shadow are as pale as the Moon itself; an onlooker might not even realize anything is happening. But as the Moon penetrates deeper, a startling metamorphosis occurs. Around 2:52 am PDT (0952 UT), the color of the Moon changes from moondust-gray to sunset-red. This is totality, and it lasts for 90 minutes.

To understand why the change occurs, close your eyes and dream yourself all the way to the Moon. Once again, you're standing on a seashore-the Sea of Tranquillity. There's no water. You're surrounded by hundreds of miles of dusty, hardened lava. Overhead hangs Earth, nightside down, completely hiding the Sun behind it. The eclipse is underway.

With the Sun blocked, you might expect utter darkness, but no, the ground at your feet is aglow. Why? Look back up at Earth. The rim of the planet seems to be on fire. Around Earth's circumference you see every sunrise and sunset in the world-all at once. This incredible light beams into the heart of Earth's shadow, transforming the Moon into a landscape of copper moondust and golden hills.

Wake up! This is really going to happen, and some planning is necessary. Start times of totality are listed in the table below. Set your alarm an hour or so in advance to gather snacks and dress warmly. (Even in August, four o'clock in the morning can be chilly.) Waking up early also allows you to catch some of the partial eclipse before totality.

The eclipse will be visible from Australia, Japan, parts of Asia and most of the Americas, but not from Africa or Europe. Pacific observers are favored. On the west coast of the United States, the entire eclipse will unfold high in the post-midnight sky. On the east coast, totality will be truncated by sunrise. That's okay; even a little eclipse can be a dream.

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/A_Drea......ugust_Skies_

Sounds intriguing smile but the link didn't work frown I was hoping to see when it would be visable here. So another excuse not to study, I'll have to surf the net a little to find out!

DETAILS:

"The eclipse will be visible from Australia, Japan, parts of Asia and most of the Americas, but not from Africa or Europe. Pacific observers are favored. On the west coast of the United States, the entire eclipse will unfold high in the post-midnight sky. On the east coast, totality will be truncated by sunrise. That's okay; even a little eclipse can be a dream."

"The event begins 54 minutes past midnight PDT (0754 UT) on August 28th when the Moon enters Earth's shadow. At first, there's little change. The outskirts of Earth's shadow are as pale as the Moon itself; an onlooker might not even realize anything is happening. But as the Moon penetrates deeper, a startling metamorphosis occurs. Around 2:52 am PDT (0952 UT), the color of the Moon changes from moondust-gray to sunset-red. This is totality, and it lasts for 90 minutes."

Whoops, Sue, I'm sorry! I just noticed that you are in Australia, and most of that detailed info that I last posted does you little good.

Australia! I fell in love with your country as a child, looking through my uncle's books about Australia...way cool.

Then I saw the movie, Rabbit Proof Fence, and was changed forever.

Here's some more details...

For Sue: ...the eclipse will already be underway at moonrise for Japan and much of Australia on the evening of Aug. 28...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070824/sc_...ngslunareclipse

Joe Rao

SPACE.com Skywatching Columnist

Tuesday morning, Aug. 28 brings us the second total lunar eclipse of 2007. Those living in the Western Hemisphere and eastern Asia will be able to partake in at least some of this sky show.

The very best viewing region for viewing this eclipse will fall across the Pacific Rim, including the West Coast of the United States and Canada, as well as Alaska, Hawaii, New Zealand and eastern Australia. All these places will be able to see the complete eclipse from start to finish.

Europeans will miss out on the entire show, as the Moon will be below the horizon during their mid and late morning hours.

What to look for

The eclipse will begin when the Moon enters the faint outer portion, or penumbra, of the Earth's shadow about an hour before it begins moving into the umbra. The penumbra, however, is all but invisible to the eye until the Moon becomes deeply immersed in it. Look for a slight hint of shading or smudginess on the eastern (left) edge of the lunar disk about 40 minutes after the Moon first enters the penumbral shadow.

The most obvious part of the eclipse will be when the Moon is passing through the dark umbral shadow of the Earth. On this occasion, the full Moon will track just to the south of the center of the Earth's umbra; deep path almost through the center of the umbra which will result in a total phase lasting an unusually long 1 hour 30 minutes (the maximum possible is 1 hour 47 minutes).

Because some of the sunlight striking our planet is diffused and scattered by our atmosphere, the Earth's shadow is not entirely dark. Enough of this light reaches the Moon to give it a faint orange or reddish glow even when it's totally eclipsed.

At greatest eclipse the Moon's southern limb will pass 1,039 mi. (1,672 km.) from the outer edge of the dark shadow. This should produce a relatively dark eclipse, with the Moon glowing a dull coppery color along its lower portion and a deep brown or gray over its upper portion. SPACE.com encourages viewers to estimate the Danjon value - a five-point scale of lunar luminosity ("L") to classify eclipses - at mid-totality.

The Moon enters the umbra at 4:51 a.m. EDT (1:51 a.m. PDT). Totality begins at 5:32 EDT (2:52 PDT) and ends after sunrise on the East coast and at 4:22 a.m. PDT.

Where you can see it

As for the region of visibility for this eclipse, it pretty much is the "flip side" of the last eclipse, in March: Whereas Africa, Europe and western Asia had ringside seats for that late-winter spectacle, this time they are completely out of luck. The timing of the eclipse comes during their late morning and early afternoon hours, with the eclipsed Moon below the horizon.

Conversely, almost the entire Pacific Ocean is turned toward the Moon during this August eclipse. In fact, at mid-totality the Moon will appear directly overhead for a spot over the open waters of the Pacific, roughly 1,800 mi. (2,900 km.) south of Hawaii.

And whereas, for the March lunar eclipse those near and along the Pacific Rim could catch a brief view at dawn, while the Americas view coincided with moonrise, in August we are presented with the converse of these circumstances. For the eclipse will already be underway at moonrise for Japan and much of Australia on the evening of Aug. 28.

The rest of eastern Asia will either have the Moon rise during totality, or will see it as it is exiting the Earth's shadow.

But from North America, the eclipse occurs during the early morning hours of Aug. 28.

The Canadian Maritimes will miss totality, as the Moon will set in partial eclipse before it begins.

Across the eastern third of the United States, moonset arrives in the midst of the total phase. So, less than six months after easterners watched the Moon rise during totality, comes the opportunity to be treated to the sight of the Moon setting during totality! However, thanks to advancing morning twilight, plus horizon haze, for those living in the Northeastern and Middle Atlantic States it is likely that the dim Moon (some 10,000 times fainter than a normal full Moon) will more-or-less vanish from view near or just after the onset of totality.

Over the central states, the Moon will set in partial eclipse, while emerging from the umbra; the farther west, the less of the Moon so covered. An interesting observation for watchers in this zone who have an unobstructed eastern and western horizon is to attempt seeing the partially eclipsed setting Moon and the rising Sun at the same time. The Moon will remain above the horizon for a few minutes after sunup.

From the western states, all umbral stages will be visible before moonset affording the best views of totality (in a dark sky) within the contiguous states and more than making up for being completely shut-out of a view of last March's eclipse. And Alaska and Hawaii will see the eclipse happen in the middle of their night. Mid-totality for Anchorage comes at 1:37 a.m. Alaskan Daylight Time and for Honolulu at 12:37 a.m. Hawaii Standard Time.

Coming attraction:

Should clouds interfere with your attempt to view Tuesday's eclipse, you won't have very long to wait for the next opportunity. That will come just under six months from now, on the night of Feb. 20-21. Another total lunar eclipse (the third in less than a year's time) will be visible throughout much of North and South America as well as Europe, Africa and parts of western Asia.

Here is a different point of view of the sky. cry

http://www.truinsight.com:80/

SORCHA FALLS WARNING JUST ISSUED:

August 23, 2007

Cross of Blood Alignment Sparks Fear of Horrific August Cataclysm

By: Sorcha Faal, and as reported to her Western Subscribers

Though I rarely, if ever, publicly comment upon the research of our

Sisters, I felt that a recent report by Sister Adriana-Maria from

Belgium is worthy of your attention.

Sister Adriana-Maria is a theoretical linguist who for the past three

years has been researching the works of the 19th Century Russian Seer

Helena Petrovna Hahn, or as better known to the Western World as Madame

Blavatsky, and who was the Co-Founder of the Theosophical Society which

is accorded the status as creating the schism between Christianity and

what is termed as 'New Age' thought in today's Western World.

In her report titled "Astrological Algorithms Contained In Isis

Unveiled", Sister Adriana-Maria states her discovery of a polyalphabetic

cipher contained in Madame Blavatsky's 1877 book, Isis Unveiled, that

seemingly points to an horrific cataclysmic event occurring during this

weekends Triple Conjunction of the Sun, Venus and Saturn.

According to Sister Adriana-Maria, Madame Blavatsky in 1877 foresaw the

catastrophic volcanic explosion of the Island of Krakatoa, and which

exploded with such force that it is believed to have been the loudest

sound in recorded history, and which occurred on August 27, 1883.

But, not only did Madame Blavatsky foresee the 1883 Krakatoa event, she

'looked' further into the future, 130 years to be exact, to the year of

2007, and the date of August 27th, and which she 'foresaw' and even

greater event which in her decoded cipher described as '.never before

have these [humans] seen such horror and destruction'.

Of astronomical events to occurring during the time period that Madame

Blavatsky indicates, between the dates of August 26-28, 2007, it is

interesting to find the following:

1. As previously mentioned, this time period finds the Sun, Venus

and Saturn in a Triple Conjunction.

2. At 0800 UT (3:00 AM US Eastern Seaboard) on August 27th the

Planet Mars will rise in the Eastern sky alongside Aldebaran the giant

red star located in the constellation Taurus and resembling 'two eerie,

unblinking eyes'.

3. During the early morning hours of August 28th one of the longest

lunar eclipses in recorded history will occur with our Moon becoming

completely immersed for nearly 90 minutes, and which will be visible to

the entire World.

It is more than interesting to note, according to Sister Adriana-Maria,

the association of Aldebaran in both Madame Blavatsky's cipher prophecy

and its upcoming paring with Mars as the kabalistic symbol [see top

right image] for this ancient star of the Persians, known as the Bulls

Eye, for its being located in the head of Taurus the Bull, in that all

pasts associations of Aldebaran and Mars have seen great destruction and

turmoil upon our Planet.

Greatly accentuating the conjoining of Aldebaran and Mars, in what the

ancient kabbalists termed the "Cross of Blood", as evidenced by their

symbol, is the nearly simultaneous Lunar occultation of almost historic

time length, and which many researchers attribute to being the cause of

great earthquakes.

Though firm scientific research on the linking of Lunar eclipses and

earthquake activity is sorely lacking, their does remain abundant

anecdotal evidence of an association as great earthquakes are known to

occur within a short time period either immediately prior to, or

immediately following, total Lunar eclipses, to include:

January 9, 2001 Total Lunar Eclipse: 7.6 magnitude earthquake in India

killing nearly 20,000

May 16, 2003 Total Lunar Eclipse: 6.4 magnitude earthquake in Turkey

killing nearly 200/ 6.8 magnitude earthquake in Algeria killing nearly

2,500/ 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Japan with no deaths

November 9, 2003 Total Lunar Eclipse: 6.1 magnitude earthquake in China

destroying over 10,000 homes and killing 9

May 4, 2004 Total Lunar Eclipse: Yellowstone Caldron earthquake swarm

lasting 3 days and causing over 400 small quakes

October 28, 2004 Total Lunar Eclipse: 6.7 magnitude earthquake in Japan

killing nearly 30

August 28, 2007 Total Lunar Eclipse: 8.0 magnitude earthquake in Peru

killing nearly 600

Sister Adriana-Maria cautions in her report that though earthquake

activity, or other such catastrophic natural disasters, does seem to be

indicated in her research of Madame Blavatsky's ciphers, it by no means

rules out other types of disasters, including those caused by war.

http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1030.htm

--

Sorcha Faal

As I look out over the world and the United States, and watch all that is going on in Earth Changes, Politics, Military Movements and the rest of it, I cannot believe the amount of TOTAL DENIAL that is out there. TOTAL DENIAL AS TO THE TRUE IDENTITY OF AMERICA IN PROPHECY, TOTAL DENIAL AS TO THE TRUE REQUIREMENTS FOR SALVATION, TOTAL DENIAL OF ANY PSALM TWO WAR, TOTAL DENIAL OF THE BIBLE ITSELF, AND TOTAL DENIAL THAT WE ARE IN THE LAST DAYS, NOT ONLY IN THE WORLD, BUT IN THE CHURCH, OR WE SHOULD SAY, the SO-CALLED "CHURCH".

Well, you can live in denial if you wish, but the end will come very abruptly, and when it does, you will wish you had never been born.

Ok It is starting!

Youngest DD is getting ready for bed, but we will let her stay up to see the changes. There was cloud cover earlier and we thought we wouldn't see anything, but now the sky is clear and the moon is bright with a bite taken out of the bottom (the shadow) And we can see it all happen from the back verandah !

The cameras are clicking away - it is now half way and the last little ray of light has gone from the top leaving the beautiful red moon.

This is so neat, I cant remember ever seing a moon eclipse before (I like my sleep!!) Except maybe my parents showed us something when we were little but I only remember the owl on the tree! I think they dragged us out of bed to something else smile

It is now starting the reverse part - there is a crescent of light showing at the lower edge.

What an awesome experience. I will remember this for ever - if I ever thaw out! Going outside to watch it has been a little chilly.

I just heard that what I saw is different that what you all saw! Apparently life down under saw a down under version of the eclipse. So where the shadow started at the bottom here, you should have seen the shadow come from the top.

Did any one get up for it?

I set the alarm for 4:00, but I guess that I turned it off and went back to sleep! I did wake up a little after 5:00, and looked out of an upstairs window. The moon was about 3/4 covered, but it was very low on the horizon, and it was starting to get light, so I figured that I would not be able to see totality, and went back to bed. :tired:

All of the pictures looked great, and I sure wish that I could have had your view, Sue! Maybe next eclipse.

I failed to get up as well. I did leave my house around 5:30, but it was so foggy that I couldn't see anything. My daughter also left around 4:30 and she said the directions she came from, she was able to see it, and it was beautiful. I wish I had caught it.

Archived