MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

really great food storage idea

There is a lady named Wendy Dewitt who wrote a cookbook on food storage recipes for the solar oven. You can just type in "Everything under the sun", by Wendy Dewitt to find it. She based her system on the worst case scenario: if there were no stores, gardens, city water or electricity...she can still feed her family!! She also has a great formula to help us figure out how much to store, down to the teaspoon! She uses gelatin in place of eggs in her baking, she says it works. Westbrooks post about egg substitutes for making pancakes reminded me about the gelatin. It sure would save a lot of fuel to use the sun for cooking. Also it doesn't give off smoke or anything to draw people or animals to you. I really would like to have a solar oven. Peg

please don't try to can butter or cheese as recommended...logic tells you that you can't take a cube of butter, stick it in a jar, melt it in the oven, put the lid on and have it be good in a year.

And the same for cheese.

buy canned cheese soup from campbells!! purchase Ghee or make it yourself.. or buy margarine in the squeezable bottle.. hummm wonder how long that stuff lasts?

Originally Posted By: jewlzm
Thank you.. Ive got my printer going as I type.

My DD is planning on making a solar cooker for her science project this year. Ill have to remember to post how it turns out.

Here are some easy solar cookers for your daughter

http://www.solarcooking.org/plans/default.htm

It will be fun we have made them here out of sun visors for cars.
Originally Posted By: westbrook
please don't try to can butter or cheese as recommended...logic tells you that you can't take a cube of butter, stick it in a jar, melt it in the oven, put the lid on and have it be good in a year.

And the same for cheese.

buy canned cheese soup from campbells!! purchase Ghee or make it yourself.. or buy margarine in the squeezable bottle.. hummm wonder how long that stuff lasts?

A quick question for you; I have a text file regarding making "clarified butter." I don't recall what the original source of these instructions were. What do you think? Would this method overcome the objections you have to storing butter without refrigeration?

How to make clarified butter
Clarified butter stores indefinitely without refrigeration (this is handy if the power gets cut off because of a storm, utility problem, lack of money to pay the bill, or y2k disruptions. It's also healthier, as clarifying the butter removes most of the cholesterol, but retains the delicious butter taste.

Melt the butter in a pan with a low heat and bring it to a slow boil. If any scum rises to the top, skim it off. Boil slowly (don't burn) until the white solids clump together on the bottom of the pan. The butter oil will be clear and golden. Skim off the butter oil into a clean jar with a tight fitting lid. You can collect the remaining oil and solids in the bottom of the pan, and strain it through cheesecloth or coffee filters, to collect the last of the oil. The solids are then discarded (or fed to animals). Lard can also be clarified by this method, and loses most of its cholesterol while retaining its taste.

Archived