MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Death in family

KatMom

I just found out this morning that my older brother passed away in the night. I haven't seen him for about a year. He was living with my husband and I but he decided to go to Tennessee and live with our younger brother. Ron has been very ill and unable to work for a lot of years.He had CHF,he'd had bypass surgery,many,many problems. It was hard for my younger brother finding him gone this morning but it was not unexpected. He's in a better place,now. I just wanted to tell someone.Ron and I were pretty close. I'm glad someone is there to help take care of him and he wasn't alone. Ron's children are pretty scattered,Maine,Minnesota,North Carolina. And his ex-wife whom he was still crazy about lived in Minnesota. It seems they got on better living apart. Isn't life strange? It seems like Ron's passing is bringing me back closer to our younger brother. David and I haven't always seen eye to eye. But we had a good talk this morning. I'm optimistic. Guess I'll stop rambling. Thanks for listening.Katmom

Katmom,

Here's hoping that your faith will get you through and that the good memories you have of your brother bring comfort. Remember that all endings are beginnings, and that this one also is, too as he is in a better place.

I am sorry to hear about your brother. It isn't too surprising that you find your self getting closer to your younger brother. Death or a serious illness make us more aware of what we might lose if we sacrifice a relationship with someone we care about for whatever reason. Not only is it not unusual to feel closer to immediate family, sometimes people find themselves reaching out to more distant family and friends. We begin to see how fragile life is, and we want to be there for everyone we care about more than before. This is sometimes true even when you see the person everyday. If it is your kid, you might hug them more. You might reach out and keep in touch with other family members.

My daughter and her husband were distanceing themselves from me. I am not sure the reason, but I think it had to do with my brother that I live with. They had a disagreement with him. I could still visit with no problem, but they never called or came by our place. Then my son in laws mother died. He suddenly decided that she should call me every week just to keep in touch. They went out of their way to have me involved in their lives. He felt the loss of his mother, and turned that into a fear that she would go through that as well and have regrets that we hadn't been closer. It gets like that sometimes. Unfortunately as with most relationships, if you don't make the effort, it may not last.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your brother. I will pray for you and your family in your time of loss.

Archived