I will trade half-pound packages of French coffee for...

susie

...stuff that I miss from the US...

cinnamon candies, oreos, certain spices, sleepytime tea, kimchee mix, unloved cookbooks, cannerseals, jello, fishmeds, dentalfloss, disclosing tablets, babyaspirin, dentine, tootsierolls, candycorn, staright mints, lifesavers...

In the mean time.... try this recipe and see if it comes close. And don't forget.. to wrap them in little wax papers with twisted ends!

Tootsie Rolls

1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

2 tablespoons shortening

4 teaspoons cocoa

2 tablespoons evaporated skim milk

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, corn syrup, shortening and cocoa in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer candy until temperature reaches 275 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove the saucepan from the heat. When the bubbling stops, add the evaporated milk and beat candy with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds.Add vanilla and continue to beat candy until it begins to firm up and you can no longer beat it. Pour candy out onto wax paper. When it is cool, divide the candy into several portions and roll portions into long ropes that are approx. 1/2 inch thick. Use a sharp knife to slice candy into 1 inch pieces. Arrange candy on a plate and let sit out overnight so that it firms up. Makes approximately 60 bite size pieces

Originally Posted By: susie
...stuff that I miss from the US...

cinnamon candies, oreos, certain spices, sleepytime tea, kimchee mix, unloved cookbooks, cannerseals, jello, fishmeds, dentalfloss, disclosing tablets, babyaspirin, dentine, tootsierolls, candycorn, staright mints, lifesavers...

Dental floss? You mean you can't get dental floss in France okay so you can knock me over with a feather on that one. Send me your address in a pm and I will send you send some dental floss.

What flavors of jello do you like?

what is disclosing tablets?

canner seal? for which canner?

baby aspirins... st.Joseph's .. not good for children under ?? can't remember. Tylonal perhaps? liquid or chewable?

what is staright mints? do you mean just mints? peppermint? spearmint?

dentine? gum? you know it comes in all sorts of flavors now..

http://www.dentyne.com/

I'm guessing she meant "starlight" mints.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/hard_candies.asp?referer=yastamin

Sorry if this link starts a whole new bunch of candies you miss, susie!!! shrug

I'd love to help, but we're in a bind financially lately, because the van needed nearly $700 worth of work done on it. mecry

Well...I did see dental floss one time, and my dentist knows about it, too (but he doesn't use it or tell people about it..he did a filling for me and didn't leave me space for flossing, so the filling didn't last, that's how we got to speaking about it).

I'm told that dental floos is available in cinnamn, too...wow! The french don't really use cinnamon at all, even for apple pie.

Originally Posted By: westbrook
what is disclosing tablets?

Disclosing tablets are those little red things that you chew on after brushing your teeth, and it stains red where you missed. I have four kids, 16, 14, 11, and 9, and we have had only one cavity between them in all these years. I am a maniac about their teeth (don't want them to end up like their mom), and would like them to see how well (or not) they brush.

canner seal? for which canner?

I have a Presto Special Canner, number 7.5...it was sent to me by two very special women who didn't want me to die from the French ways of canning. Nobody here, with the exception of the professionals, uses canners (called autoclaves), and everything is done in boiling water baths. I do have a cookbook by Maiité, a local regional chef, who simply notes that canning done in an ordinary pressure cooker will cut the time down by one third.

baby aspirins... st.Joseph's .. not good for children under ?? can't remember. Tylonal perhaps? liquid or chewable?

Maybe my kids are too old for that, already, come to think of it.

what is staright mints? do you mean just mints? peppermint? spearmint?

Starlight mints are those round ones, with the red and white swirls on them...they taste like candycanes, which is something else that doesn't happen here.

dentine? gum? you know it comes in all sorts of flavors now..
http://www.dentyne.com/
It does?!! I only know the connamon kind.

Originally Posted By: Cat
I'm guessing she meant "starlight" mints.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/hard_candies.asp?referer=yastamin

Sorry if this link starts a whole new bunch of candies you miss, susie!!! shrug

I'd love to help, but we're in a bind financially lately, because the van needed nearly $700 worth of work done on it. mecry

OMG! Starlight comes in fruit and chocolate, too?! And there's such a thing as rootbeer candy!!!

ok... I got it!

Ladies... I don't have access to seals for the canner.

Susie, need a Ball Blue Book?

NO Candy Canes? WHAT??? what is wrong with the French?

Corn Syrup? ok.

Susie

I found a site somewhere (sorry this was a while ago) but it was food substitutes, and the recommended sub for corn syrup was glucose syrup or golden syrup or a combination of the 2. So if you have golden syrup use it. If I am concerned that it will be too strong a flavour, then I use the glucose syrup with a little golden syrup mixed with it.

Having said that I notice that if a recipe calls for golden syrup then honey is given as an alternative. I'll stay with golden syrup - the flavour is unique ...

Susie.. what are certain spices? can you grow some if I send seeds?

Like for Sleepytime it is only chamomile which can be grown, however I am aware that is it against the law to grow some herbs.. or used to be against the law. That law was made during the invasion of Hilter.. he wanted the people to purchase medicines from Bayer as the people grew their own medicines.

SueC can't get anything made from wood.. like cinnamon sticks, are there any restrictions?

Postal regulations regarding items to be posted to FRANCE

I found this on the NZ post site, but the point of origin is not the issue it is the country you are sending things to. It lists what cannot be posted to France - Note fruit, seeds, plants, medicaments plus lots more. So check the list before you buy!

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/NR/rdonlyres/A09...estrictions.pdf

Prohibited items

Printed matter relating to foreign lotteries; ammunition; butane gas lighters; chain letters; feeding bottles & parts thereof; funeral urns; goods bearing false trademarks; pirated editions of published works; imitation pearls. Products in a raw manufactured state, obtained in a locality with the same name as a French locality, unless clearly marked with country of origin and “Imported”. Raisins; dried figs and dates intended for distillation or winemaking; saccharine tablets and sachets; radioactive material.

Restricted items

Agricultural products; babies dummies and similar articles; bees, honey and beeswax. Celluloid; contraceptives; fruit; chestnuts; horse chestnuts; gold bullion; articles made, lined or plated with gold, silver or platinum. Industrial and chemical products, dyes etc.; leeches; margarine; measuring instruments; meat, animal and fishery products; medicaments; narcotics; plants and seeds. Potatoes; precious stones and pearls; preserves; pure saccharine in powder form; tobacco and tobacco products; war material; wines, grape juice, grape must; spirits gentian and liqueurs; wood for matches.

ok... I got it!

Ladies... I don't have access to seals for the canner.

Susie, need a Ball Blue Book?

NO Candy Canes? WHAT??? what is wrong with the French?

Corn Syrup? ok.

I do have a Bluebook, thanks. These froggies have no idea about Christmas...they think it's just for eating a big dinner that lasts all night, when dinner is over, at about dawn, they wake up the kids and open the presents.
Originally Posted By: SueC
Susie

I found a site somewhere (sorry this was a while ago) but it was food substitutes, and the recommended sub for corn syrup was glucose syrup or golden syrup or a combination of the 2. So if you have golden syrup use it. If I am concerned that it will be too strong a flavour, then I use the glucose syrup with a little golden syrup mixed with it.

Having said that I notice that if a recipe calls for golden syrup then honey is given as an alternative. I'll stay with golden syrup - the flavour is unique ...

I do use golden syrup...I can get it over the border, in Spain.
Susie.. what are certain spices? can you grow some if I send seeds?

Like for Sleepytime it is only chamomile which can be grown, however I am aware that is it against the law to grow some herbs.. or used to be against the law. That law was made during the invasion of Hilter.. he wanted the people to purchase medicines from Bayer as the people grew their own medicines.

SueC can't get anything made from wood.. like cinnamon sticks, are there any restrictions?

We can get all spices and seeds, nowadays.
Originally Posted By: SueC
Postal regulations regarding items to be posted to FRANCE
I found this on the NZ post site, but the point of origin is not the issue it is the country you are sending things to. It lists what cannot be posted to France - Note fruit, seeds, plants, medicaments plus lots more. So check the list before you buy!

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/NR/rdonlyres/A09...estrictions.pdf

Prohibited items
Printed matter relating to foreign lotteries; ammunition; butane gas lighters; chain letters; feeding bottles & parts thereof; funeral urns; goods bearing false trademarks; pirated editions of published works; imitation pearls. Products in a raw manufactured state, obtained in a locality with the same name as a French locality, unless clearly marked with country of origin and “Imported”. Raisins; dried figs and dates intended for distillation or winemaking; saccharine tablets and sachets; radioactive material.

Restricted items
Agricultural products; babies dummies and similar articles; bees, honey and beeswax. Celluloid; contraceptives; fruit; chestnuts; horse chestnuts; gold bullion; articles made, lined or plated with gold, silver or platinum. Industrial and chemical products, dyes etc.; leeches; margarine; measuring instruments; meat, animal and fishery products; medicaments; narcotics; plants and seeds. Potatoes; precious stones and pearls; preserves; pure saccharine in powder form; tobacco and tobacco products; war material; wines, grape juice, grape must; spirits gentian and liqueurs; wood for matches.

Wow! I had no idea. Good thing the mailman never asks.

measuring instruments???

Products in a raw manufactured state, obtained in a locality with the same name as a French locality, unless clearly marked with country of origin and “Imported”.

how long do you have to live there?

Archived