MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ok Ladies...we're gonna start learning how to make sourdough bread...

And we're gonna start by going to the link below, to order your free sourdough starter. The sourdough starter is from Carl T. Griffith. He gave a sourdough starter to anyone who asked, or who sent him a self-addressed stamped envelope, and died early in the year 2000 at the age of 80. He is known for his generosity and the high quality and vitality of his sourdough starts, which came from a sourdough culture carefully nurtured and preserved in his family for over 150 years.

To order your free sample, follow the instructions as follows (and as found at their website: http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/source.html)

How to Get Carl's Starter

USA Residents

Send a self-addressed, stamped (41¢) #10 envelope [sASE41] to:

Oregon Trail Sourdough

P. O. Box 321

Jefferson, MD 21755 USA

A #10 envelope, also called, in the USA, a "business-size envelope", measures about 9-1/2 inches by 4-1/8 inches (24 cm by 10.5 cm). European size DL is close enough. If such an envelope is not available, simply send postage (or currency as below) plus your postal address, and we will provide an envelope.

Normally, it could take up to six weeks for your start to get to you, but it probably won't. See why...

Other Countries

Requests require 90¢ US postage* or substitute a U.S. one-dollar bill or an IRC (International Reply Coupon) for a SASE41. If you send currency, include this instruction: "Send Starter." Send your name and address and fold your instruction note around currency to reduce possibility of pilferage. (The currency option is recommended for Canada and other places in the world where U.S. dollar bills are not unusual.) Otherwise, non-domestic requesters should contact a volunteer. (You might want to do that before you pay an unreasonable price for an IRC.) Any currency sent without an instruction will be treated as a donation.

*except Canada and Mexico -- 69¢ US postage

Cost

There is no charge for the starter. Occasional unsolicited donations offset costs of distribution and production to allow us to carry on Carl's tradition of not requesting a fee.

The Brochure

Read Carl's brochure here or print a copy from the MSWord (*.doc) or Acrobat (*.pdf) files at this web site. If you do not have access to a printer and need a copy, please write "SEND BROCHURE" on the back side of the SASE. Concise instructions for reviving the dried start are also available here.

Linking

Please do not publicize the above postal address , as it will change from time to time. Rather make reference to this web site, which will be kept appropriately updated. Please refer to this web site by its domain name www.carlsfriends.org.

Disclaimer

The semidry sourdough starter you will receive is composed of wheat flour, moisture, and sourdough organisms, presumed to be "wild" yeast and lactobacteria. The usual amount sent is about 1/2 ounce, sufficient to start several cultures. It is cultured, dried, and mailed under sanitary, but not sterile, conditions by a volunteer who adheres to the methods used and recorded by Carl Griffith. It is not certified as a foodstuff. If you are allergic or reactive to any of its components, we guarantee that you will be allergic or reactive to it. We also guarantee that we make our best efforts so that you will receive a healthy, vigorous dried sourdough start which will easily revive to authentic Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter.

This page is current May 2007.

~~~~~

Ok, so...who's in on this latest escapade of mine, with me?

All you need to do is include a stamped, self addressed e

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: mommato3boys
But I don't wanna to go to that link. I have my own recipe for starter. As a matter of fact I have some made up in the refrigerator now.

*rolling eyes*

Do I hafta say, "FOR THOSE THAT WANNA"?

DarleneSwoon

lol
Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
But I don't wanna to go to that link. I have my own recipe for starter. As a matter of fact I have some made up in the refrigerator now.

Showoff!

I think I will just borrow one of Darlene's lines here...

Not me am innocent darlene
Originally Posted By: Darlene

*rolling eyes*

Do I hafta say, "FOR THOSE THAT WANNA"?

DarleneSwoon

lol

Don't you just love it when we make you crazy? sassing

I will share my recipe if you like it is real simple.
Originally Posted By: Grubby
or who sent him a self-addressed stamped envelope, and died early in the year 2000 at the age of 80.

You can send him your envelope but you won't be getting any
starter! It says he's dead! shrug

Okay maybe I will just go ahead and post my recipe here...

Starter:

3 tablespoons instant mashed potato flakes****
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 cups warm water
2 cups bread flour (or unbleached all purpose flour)
2 1/4 teaspoons (or one pack) active dry yeast
1 Large (half gallon or larger) coverable glass or plastic container like a jar ** (Note the smell with stay in plastic forever so I suggest glass)

**I have a gallon pickle jar that I use. I cover it with a thin dish towel the first 5 days. Once I store it in the refrigerator I put the normal lid on it. Not only does the starter have room to grow but the mouth is wide enough that I can get my arm in the jar in order to stir it.

****If you do not have potato flakes but have potatoes then peel and cube two potatoes. Boil until tender. Reserve 2 cups of water from cooked potatoes; you are wanting the potato starch so it wont hurt if the water sets for a few minutes so the starch will settle to the bottom.. When I peel potatoes I put them in a bowl of water until I get them all peel then either I slice them for fries or cube them for potato salad or creamed potatoes. I save the last two (2) cups of water in the bowl and all of the potato starch that sank to the bottom of the bowl and use that instead of potato flakes.

Combine water*, sugar and yeast in container stir; add flour and potato flakes stir until smooth. (* if you are using potato water omit the 2 cups of water and potato flakes…2 cups potato water, 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 1/4 teaspoons [or one pack of yeast] and 2 cups flour.)

Cover container with clean cloth. Let the starter sit on a counter for 5 days, stirring daily with a wooden spoon. Metal spoons cause a chemical reaction and kill the starter at least that is what my grandmother told me.

Feeder:
3 tablespoons of potato flakes
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
Again if you do not have flakes omit flakes and water and replace with 1 cup of potato water.

On the fifth (5th) day, feed the starter. I mix my feeder up first then stir it in to my starter. I do this in the evening so that I will have it to make bread on the morning of the 6th day.

Take out 1 cup of the starter to use in a sourdough recipe. Refrigerate the remaining starter.

Every five days, feed the starter. If you miss a feeding or the starter starts to die* reserve 1 cup of starter discarding remaining starter. Feed remaining starter as normal but add 1 teaspoon of yeast. Live out 5 days then feed. Either make bread or store in refrigerator.

Now if you are not going to make sourdough bread every week then you will need to discard or give away a cup of starter. Or else you will have a gallon of the stuff before you know it.

When I feed my starter I do it at night so that I can leave it out over night. That way the starter is at room temperature the next morning. You need your start at room temperature in order for the bread to rise correctly.

If you are just going to feed it then you can leave it out for about 4-5 hours after feeding to give it time to "grow" then store it in the refrigerator. If I am not making bread then I will feed it first thing in the morning and leave it out all day and with my dish towel over it so it can breathe and then when I get home from work before I start dinner I will put the lid back on it and put it back in the refrigerator.

*You may ask how one would know if starter is dead or dying. Well if you make a loaf of bread and it does not rise you know your starter is dying. So that is when you can give it CPR and revive it. Sourdough takes longer to rise than normal yeast bread and the older your starter the longer it takes. So about every 2-3 months I will revive my starter.

I'm in I'll send for some. This is a good prep idem.

I have done the sourdough before and have several recipes for it and different things to use it for. Let me know and I'll post them.

Grubby, there are people who have picked up where he left off, when he passed away.

That's why there's instructions on sending just a self addressed, stamped envelope, to receive the sample free.

Grubby and Quiltys are so busted.

lol

SWAT!

Oh and M23B too!

Wait why do I get swatted I am innocent darlene all I did was post a recipe. I figured it would easier than sending everyone a cup of starter. rofl

Move over Grubby and Quilty sofa I think we need a bigger couch

ducktape? ducktape.jpg

Archived