MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

TIPS-1-Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup

Guest Guest

Disk Cleanup and defrag...these must be done about once a month to maintain hard disk drive and file integrity. Most window users will find these tools under the Start... programs----accessories----system tools. The defaults settings you will see are ok for now. My suggestion is to run the Disk Defrag under SAFE MODE....you can get to SAFE MODE by tapping the F8 key on the keyboard as you turn the computer on and then select SAFE MODE option from the startup menu (win98 and winME) or Advanced options menu (winXP) then Start... programs----accessories----system tools---disk defragmenter.....it may take a few hours to complete the defrag so you may want to do this when you are not needing the system.....

Mr Caveman......i forgot to ask you....why Safe mode???

debbie

Guest Guest

Hi Debbielee.....safe mode has less things running in the background so will have less interference and run smoother....if you run it in normal mode it may have a hard time and take a very long time to run....also may just lock up if the system is too busy with other programs running in the background.

Guest Guest

Well I must have done it the secomd way cause it took all morning. DD says it doesn't take as long if you do it more often. Thanks for the help. di

Guest Guest

Diinmi, That's great that you got it done and DD is correct in stating that it'll take a shorter time to do it as long as you do it regularly like once a month....don't forget the disk cleanup once a week!

Guest Guest

Concerning defraging,

I would like to say that the information provided by caveman on defraging is wonderful. I would like to compund on his postings a bit. First of on settings for defraging under windows 98 an 98se an ME. I personally change the settings. there are several reasons for these setting changes and they come from talking with one of the guys that actually works for the company that makes the defragmenting software for microsoft. He said one that the original seeting when installed one cause more wear and tear on a hard drive and that they dont really increase performance of programs starting up by a time that a human could even notice. So under the settings option I take the two boxes at the top that have checkmarks in them one is rearange drive contents and I forget the other and I uncheck those boxes. Then I make sure that the everytime i defrag setting is checked and then save my settings. This will do two things for you. 1 not move your programs and data around the disk it puts it all back where it was originally installed. 2 this increases your defragmentation time especially if you have not defraged by 50% or more. Now when I install software or remove software I allways follow this system

1st Step

Defrag

2nd Step

install/uninstall

3rd Step

reboot

4th Step

defrag

5th Step

Reboot and then use system.

This is for win9x and ME systems for NT,2000,and 2000 Server I have different method. An linux well linux defrags itself on the fly so there is no real need to worry about it LOL

Hey Cavey? How do you preform a scan disk or disk cleanup on Windows XP? By the time I learn how to do this new system it will be time to by the newest whatever........

Guest Guest

Hi there...sorry for the delay in replying. Win XP uses a program called Error checking that works similar to scandisk and all of these tools are found by going to My Computer then right click on Local Disk C: click Properties and then click Tools at the top of the box...there you will see Defragmentation should be done once a month as well. Hope this helps!

thanks for the advice trying it now hope it works