MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

TIPS-3-Spyware (Nasty)

Caveman sorry to sound even a little doubtful, spyware got into my system and I have already had to spend money to fix it... my computer guy said that it may now be in my mother board and will have to get a new chip? what's your opinion?

thx

Guest Guest

Hi Brigid, I haven't heard of BIOS chips. Hope this helps!

Thanks for such a quick reply caveman, going to download that spyware killer thingy right now... My computer guy didn't know if it was the actual spyware or if it was actually in the motherboard... it's working right now... so off I go and I will let you know the results....thanks again

I am running behind on keeping up with your advise...

but i went to that Ad-Aware and clicked on the left download.... so here's the question what do I click next???

Guest Guest

Hi theyd.....you'll need to click on one of the AD-Aware SE download sites like download.com or any of them. Then look on the page for another download thing and click to download it.....it may ask you if you want to save to disk or run from the location....always choose save to disk....after it's downloaded then you can go to the file you downloaded and double click it to install it...just follow the instructions and it will be installed on your computer and then all you need to do is run the program and scan your computer. Let me know if there's any other questions!

It's also very important to periodically use the online update for adaware 6. I usually check for an update to adaware prior to checking the system but forgot to yesterday. I ran it like I usually do and found about 40 entries (registry and files) and cleaned them out, then I went and upgraded it and ran it again and found another 138 entries.

Guest Guest

That's exactly right Cappy.....just like the anti-virus programs you use...this needs to need be updated periodically for the new signature files.

Ok, I have done a scan and I'm wondering if there are some things on there that might affect my programs.

Some of the things are: Vendors are: DSSAgent, Hot bar and Tracking Co. So, we just quarantined them. Will that do the trick???

Will these affect any of my other programs???

Guest Guest

Hi Snowmom, quarantining these will be fine...(I delete all of mine) as you can see most of these are placed on your computer via certain websites and perhaps from some freebies you may have downloaded....the files won't affect any of your programs and deleting the cookies listed won't affect any programs as well.....sometimes certain cookies will cause a website to re-ask you for information again and if this is the case simply leave that cookie (all the cookies will show you the website that they came from) unchecked next time you run the scan or simply re-enter the info on the website. Hope this answers your questions.

Quote:
Ok, I have done a scan and I'm wondering if there are some things on there that might affect my programs.

Some of the things are: Vendors are: DSSAgent, Hot bar and Tracking Co. So, we just quarantined them. Will that do the trick???

Will these affect any of my other programs???

Dssagent is a spyware program created by broderbund and included as part of software from the learning company. Broderbund has software to remove dssagent from your computer and it is located at dssagent remove software

Hotbar is most commonly associated with whats called skins that will change the look of your browser. It installs it's own option bar in the browser and if left alone, will send every page you visit and every form you fill out to another location. You can see more info on it at Hotbar info

Tracking co. is something that many sites use to track visitors to their site. I see a lot of them each time I use adaware.

My recomendation is to delete them all any time they come up.

Hi guys,

Seeing there's a whole list of those adware6 's to choose from.......which one should i choose and if i don't yet have a virus protection thingie.....what good is it to save to a floppy before i install it?

(I've got WindowsMe)

thanksssssssss!

Choose the location nearest you so you get the best connection. They are all the same program just different locations you can download from.

As far as the floppy. Once you have downloaded it from the web to a floppy, you can write protect the floppy so nothing else can get on there including a virus, then just install from the floppy.

I didn't check the site closely enough or I would have said download it from any of them on that list.

As for write protecting a floppy. Look at this image:

floppy image

If you are holding the floppy in the same way it shows, then there will be a little slide switch in the lower right corner. If the slide switch is moved down (towards the edge of the floppy) it will write protect it and keep anything not already on the floppy from being stored on it.

Guest Guest

Debbielee, as you don't have an antivirus program yet it won't matter if you save to a floppy or to your hard drive....just save the file to a place you can find it then once it's downloaded then double click it to install.

Hey Mr. Cavey.....good to see your handsome face a gain.......anyway......just a note to say i downloaded a spyware program called SPYBOT......and it found 5 right away....cool!

I want to thank you Caveman for sharing this information. I downloaded it and to my horror found over 500 things to delete!! It took about five different scans to get rid of everything (including 3 times a buggie came up indicating a virus - and yes I do have protection) but I'm happy to report that I am now clean. The second I found that out, I immediately registered for this site and will now happily be participating in the discussions.

Thanks again - you're the best!

Kim

I figured out something REALLY neat. I work in tech support and a friend taught me this:

Run your spyware detection tool as normal (such as AdAware). When it's done reboot your computer and boot into SAFE MODE. It's going to look like a nintendo, with about 16 colors and everything will be HUGE on your screen (400 pixel).. Run your AdAware type software again and I bet you'll be surprized with what you (or your adaware software) will find. Theres a lot in there that Microsoft would rather you NOT find. It works! I found over 200 things that Adaware 6.0 PRO wouldn't find normally

Amanda

thanks for the wonderful advice i am downloading the spyware thing right now here we go

We use more than one spyware program. Spybot, and AdAware. together they miss little.