Share your mistakes with us. So we don't make them.

HappyCamper45

I learned not to buy 50lbs of Steel Cut Oats just because they are healthier than rolled oats...even if you are convinced that you can convince your kids to make the transition.

Which reinforces the motto "STORE WHAT YOU EAT" ( a little twist on Eat What you Store). :D

Buying can food from discount stores. They're there for a reason. Stick with can food you know is good, not food that will save you a few cents. I went wild at a Big Lots and bought some assorted things. Most were too salty or like some diced tomatoes i bought had the stem parts all in it. ugh

When I find a strange label on a can that looks interesting, I buy two cans.

We open one, and if we like it there is still an unopened one with a label to remember it by so we can pick up more. If we don't like the first can, the second one goes into the 'out box' for the food bank.

Dont pickle without knowing how to do it properly - had a quick visit to Drs after trying one of my mums pickled onions.

Dont use jams when the top can be compressed on a sealed jar - Gran called it Blown. I was very young and wanted some of her home made jam, luckily she got there before I did, and found half her batch were bin jobs.

I learned not to buy 50lbs of Steel Cut Oats just because they are healthier than rolled oats...even if you are convinced that you can convince your kids to make the transition.

Which reinforces the motto "STORE WHAT YOU EAT" ( a little twist on Eat What you Store). :D

I found that after a while mine prefered steel cut oats, at first they wouldn't touch them.

If you use it to make no bake cookies, or apple crisp they will make the transition way faster. B)

K_L

I tired them again this morning and had two say that ate one bowl but asked if their second bowl could be the Old Fashioned Rolled.

I love them too! And I'm not giving up completely on the transition.

My oldest said, "I'd eat them if I was starving, I'm just not starving yet!" :D

Ambergris, I think that Honeyvlle has a great price on them because of their cheap shippping and that's where I got them.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/steelcutoats50lb.aspx

Stephanie, it is probably the texture that the kids don't like. Try soaking the oats for a while then cooking them in the evening. Use extra water so when you have cooked them for a bit they are still covered with water. Put the lid on and let them cool then set in the fridge. Just reheat in the morning. You can also run them thru the grinder and use the flour for baking.

I just learned,or re-learned today two valuable lessons...

1) Measure twice and cut once.

2) Don't attempt any measuring and cutting job on days you don't have all of your emotional or mental faculties.

We had new vinyl flooring installed in the kitchen, and because the new layers added height to the floor, I needed to cut down the pantry bi-fold doors. It was on my list of "things to do" today. When I woke up this morning, I knew I didn't feel completely stable emotionally or mentally, but decided to suck it up and tackle this job. What could be so difficult? You just remove the bottom peg and zip it through the table saw to shave off a bit on each panel.

Well, apparantly I put one piece through twice and ended up cutting off more than I should have. Now I have to even them all up and there's going to be a huge gap at the bottom. I will also need to build up the hardware on the floor that the peg rests in. Attractive!!

I've decided to take the doors from my daughter's room and cut them down for the kitchen and put the messed up ones in their place since the kitchen is high-profile. I'm ending up having to do three times as much work, and getting ugly bedroom closet doors.

So much for keeping up with my to-do list. I've got a full schedule trying to fix up this place in case we get to, or have to move.

I'll wait till my mind clears first.

When you've finished up, don't be tempted to add " Just a touch more".

I managed to put a posi drive screwdriver bit through the ball of my thumb on Sunday (The power driver bounced off the crew head (only 14 V). I now have a cross shaped laceration at the side of my nail. A hole in the ball of my thumb where the bit ended up and the pulped flesh that got caught, working its way out of the larger hole. :yuk:

I was lucky on 3 counts. I'm up to date on my shots. We all have first aid experience. When I was a toddler I crushed this thumb (mother refused to let them amputate) so the bone screws off at an angle so I managed to miss it. :D

Ogre

Archived