MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

GARDEN-oholic! ADMIT YOUR ADDICTION!

cookiejar

GARDENING INTERVENTION:

If you have more seeds than you can possibly plant in a year?

or 2?

or 10?

If you have enough starter plants to replant the grounds of Buckingham Palace.

If you have haunted the mailbox, stalked the mail carrier waiting for seed catalogs.

If you *hide* your gardening purchases from your loved ones because they *wouldn't understand/might get upset

If passing the garden dept./plant nursery makes you quiver

If your not even sure how many plants/seeds you actually own

If you've ever got up in the night to check on a plant/seedlings

If you have more than 20 seed/gardening websites in your *favorites.*

If you've ever clandestinely:

weeded/watered/trimmed/mulched your neighbors greenery.

If you've ever named a plant/tree/shrub.

If foliage has occasionally gotten better care than your loved ones.

If you've ever judged someone by their garden.

If you get severe garden envy.

You go ballistic if someone touches your gardening supplies.

You go ballistic if someone touches your garden.

lol

I named ONE tree, okay? I call it "The Stupid Tree." It buds in Novemeber, gets new leaves in February and drops it's leaves in July. It produces no blossoms, nor fruit.

BTW, I got three seed catalogs in the mail this week. bounce I'm still enjoying having fingernails and doing some sewing. But come January, I'll be enjoying the catalogs!

If you drive by the store that is letting their plants DIE from improper care and you think about going in and chewing them out.

If you consider offering to buy what's left of the late season plants in the garden department of the above store and offer to buy them all for a major discount even if you don't have the space for them...no I didn't actually do that...but, I thought about it.

Gosh, I had to reply to this thread....totally cracks me up! And every one of those descriptions sounds perfectly normal to me lois

We have also received our Vermont Bean Seed and Totally Tomatoes catalogs....also got Pinetree Garden seeds before Thanksgiving. Woohooo!!! :banana2:

Happy gardening! (or at least happy pouring over seed catalogs!!)

Shawna

blush Vermont Bean Seed Company has a *wonderful* selection of beans!!!

That's where I finally understood the beauty of them... the catalog was great!

(wistfully) ...'Course, that was years ago when I had a big garden...

wink

Originally Posted By: Shawna
We have also received our Vermont Bean Seed and Totally Tomatoes catalogs....also got Pinetree Garden seeds before Thanksgiving. Woohooo!!! :
Pinetree!! That's the other one! I know it's around here somewhere....

Imagine! Seed catalogs in November!

How about this one?

Your wife sleeps in the spare bedroom until the seeds are up because you have your seeds under the covers on the warm water bed and there is only room for one left in the bed, and you have to be close to your babies.

wormie

John

I am not going to TOUCH this one...

No, no, no....

No jokes about worms and plants in the bed....

Originally Posted By: dogmom4
If you drive by the store that is letting their plants DIE from improper care and you think about going in and chewing them out.

If you consider offering to buy what's left of the late season plants in the garden department of the above store and offer to buy them all for a major discount even if you don't have the space for them...no I didn't actually do that...but, I thought about it.

Guilty ashamed

Hubby used to work at HD and they would throw plants away so during lunch at 2 or 3 in the morning (he worked stocking which works 10-7) he would raid the dumpster for me.

Yes I have bought some at Lowe's that were just about dead, I think I paid like 10cents for them

Well... there were several in the original post list that most certain DO apply. blush

I would add the following:

"You keep looking at your park like front lawn and day dream wistfully about the gorgeous gardens that could be there if only your dear husband was not so fond of "lawn"."

"You actually enjoy shoveling manure into your compost pile"

wink

Originally Posted By: DoubleD
Well... there were several in the original post list that most certain DO apply. blush

I would add the following:

"You keep looking at your park like front lawn and day dream wistfully about the gorgeous gardens that could be there if only your dear husband was not so fond of "lawn"."

"You actually enjoy shoveling manure into your compost pile"

wink

rofl

*ahem*

You can look at any garbage item and decide wether it will compst well or not and where to *stack* it in the composting pile

GARDENING INTERVENTION:

If you have more seeds than you can possibly plant in a year?

or 2?

or 10? whistling

If you have enough starter plants to replant the grounds of Buckingham Palace. close

If you have haunted the mailbox, stalked the mail carrier waiting for seed catalogs. busted

If you *hide* your gardening purchases from your loved ones because they *wouldn't understand/might get upset No, more like so they don't >> rollingeyes

If passing the garden dept./plant nursery makes you quiver :mypleasure:

If your not even sure how many plants/seeds you actually own We're supposed to KNOW?!?!?

If you've ever got up in the night to check on a plant/seedlings eekNot quite THAT bad!

If you have more than 20 seed/gardening websites in your *favorites.* noyes

If you've ever clandestinely:

weeded/watered/trimmed/mulched your neighbors greenery. yesno

If you've ever named a plant/tree/shrub. eek

If foliage has occasionally gotten better care than your loved ones. oops

If you've ever judged someone by their garden. DarleneSwoon

If you get severe garden envy. awwman

You go ballistic if someone touches your gardening supplies. :boxer: Yup, them's fightin' moves!

You go ballistic if someone touches your garden. See above

helpNo, wait. Nevermind. I don't need help!

And one more- when you go to a nursery, you choose the poor pitiful plants ON PURPOSE so you can nurse them back to health!

Oy vey!

I have to admit you're described me to a T AGAIN Cookie. How do you know me so well??? :darleneswoon:

I can add another thing to the list too. Every year I have to try at least one new thing in my garden. This year it's the watermelon radish that I found on the back page of the Totally Tomatoes catalog. Anyone else seen or tried it? lois

Oooooh! That radish is so pretty. It's all of the catalog I've been allowed to see. The kids took it right away and say they aren't done with it yet. I'm raising them right. How many four year olds do you know who would fight her brother for a seed catalog. (Ok, I guess they'd fight each other for about anything, including an old kleenex.)

They picked out beet berries for their seed choice last year. The beet berries were pretty, but no one really wanted to eat them. Tasted like resin.

Looking forward to your radish report, Dee.

Sorry, got distracted by those lovely radishes. smile Pretty plant. See the pretty plant?

How about "after you harvested all those seeds, you kept extras in your trunk to give to people too polite to decline seeds for a fall garden".

Or "you delivered extra turnip plants that had gone to seed to your children's old school so that the children there would also have the pleasure of harvesting seeds".

It's so interesting to watch your self as you drift far, far away from the mainstream. smile

If you've been out in pitch dark and COLD, covering (what seems like acres of) garden by the car headlights so the frost doesn't get those plants.

frozen

Oh wait....that would be anyone who's nuts enough to attempt gardening in the CO Rockies. Standard gardening class -- Frost Prevention

OK....ahem......

This one is really embarrassing..... blush

Has anyone gone forth into a major large-size hail storm to quickly throw ANYthing over the plants to SAVE THEM.........with a bucket over your head cuz it was really REALLY big hail!!!

I'm not kidding...... whistling I have pictures.....of the HAIL...not the bucket-head lady! laughkick

Second Standard class: Weather Forecasting so you can get out there to Prevent Hail damage BEFORE the hail begins!

MtRider [CO Rockies: lions and tigers and bears and hail ]

I haven't had to do the hail precautions praying but oh yeah on covering for frosts. For the first 2 or 3 frosts I'm out there covering everything, especially the tomato plants and by the 3rd or 4th I'm so tired of it I let it go. Once I've given it to it it's such a relief and I'm so glad the season is officially over. At that point I tell myself I will NOT have that big a garden next year!!! BUT now it's cold and snowy, the catalogs have arrived and I'm already planning next years.

*BIG SIGH* Yep I'm a GARDEN-oholic! omg

Archived