MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

GARDEN-oholic! ADMIT YOUR ADDICTION!

cookiejar

Ummm...use an umbrella like I did the year we had a freak hailstorm...not really big ones....but big enough to do damage to my very large aloe vera plant... smile P.S....the umbrella was for the plant... grin

We have approximately 60 days frost free. I began (as always) in late Aug to cover for frost. This year, we were still covering some things by late Oct. EVERY night! It's the only way we get any length of season. And we also cover in the spring. But hey, I got green beans this year!

MtRider [must be truly crazy to live here....and garden]

You truly are a GARDEN-oholic Mt. Rider. We can't plant until after Mother's Day and sometimes will still have to cover a time or two but not usually. In a normal year we can count on our first frost coming about the middle of September.

I guess that means twice as long as you have. Green beans are so good and I can gobs of them but do you have time for tomatoes? My favorite things from the garden are green beans and tomatoes. If I couldn't have my tomatoes I'd literally DarleneSwoon

• 3 months later...

*Ahem* as it is offically Spring Time, I thought I'd bump this up so the newbie addicts can admit their uncontrollable gardening urges grin

If you've prepared your gardening gear for spring time wayyyy back in December.

gdflower3.gif11.gifAF2Flowerstulips003b.gif

Okay one more sign you are a GARDEN-oholic....

You spend $100+ on seeds even though you know you are going to have to move and you are not sure where you are going to move but you have starter trays going just in case eekDarleneSwoon

• 3 weeks later...

If you went through planting withdrawal pains during this winter

If you container gardened to get a winter *fix* (include sprouting, hydrogarden etc.)

If you *map* your gardens to the point you use color coding

If your gardening activities crowd out other activites

Are you a dealer? In seedlings? seeds? Produce? Shrubs? Plants?

Paraphernalia?

Have you ever tried to entice others to your addiction?

garden.jpgAF2FlowerA038.gif

I am SUCH a seed addict. I love to go through catalogs, reading the descriptions and making wish lists, I love to draw up elaborate garden plans, and I love to collect the seeds from plants. Truly addicted.

I have traded seeds on gardenweb; that was addictive, too. I was constantly hanging on the mailbox, you would not believe what you can grow from seed, and all for the price of postage. smile But I spent too much time trading (once sent out eight or nine packages at once!), had to quit. LOL

Two of my favorite seed companies are Fedco Seeds (definitely my fave, good prices and quantity, their print catalog is a great read, with old-fashioned illustrations, and they are anti-Monsanto/GM)and Pinetree. Also, if you've ever drooled over a Thompson & Morgan catalog, you might want to check out valueseeds.com, that's their discount site. What they have in stock varies, but I've had good luck with them, and the prices are much better than in the catalog (the seed counts are sometimes small, but they do list them on the site).

I have been so frustrated this week, because my lousy attempt at lasagna gardening this winter...well, it didn't really happen, the ground is still too hard (and I mostly did only a thick layer of newspaper, so that is still sitting there. lol I will have to till this year after all, but of course the tiller isn't working. Aggh

I've turned the flower beds with a shovel, I was really hoping the tiller would magically start working for the veggie garden, though. Oh, well!

Originally Posted By: anrol5
Is the following a sign of being a GARDEN-oholic....

Your husband goes into the fridge for a block of cheese, and comes out with pack of nematodes.

Anrol

Okay, L&L is a dealer, Leah is an enticer with her pictures and Anrol...
Girlfriend, I think the U.K. DEFRA is gonna want to have a talk with you. ewwwrofl

Archived