MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Momo

Reuses, recycling, hints and tips

Saw a great idea for old towels on tv this morning. Cut the towel in 6" wide or so strips,use 2 colors,weave them in and out in a basket weave pattern(over and under) use heavy thread and make an X stitch in each corner. Sew around the outside edge. When I make these I will do a double one and sew them around the outside edge so it will be plenty thick.

Are you making new towels or a pillow of sorts? I get the weave but I'm not sure what you're making....

Two pinching penny tips:

#1 Walgreens Photo Dept refils most computer ink cartridges for 10.00. Sometimes you can even get it free as they have a very strict test on the refills. If it fails the test you get your cartridge back and it is still full of ink :-)(and worked fine)

#2 Use extra left over slats from vinyl mini blinds to make garden stakes. Just cut to desired length and cut a point on one end. Use marker to write on them.

Oh wow...vinyl mini blinds as stakes....we've taken out two in the kitchen and next week are pitching the 2 in the front room. I'm afraid I've got enough for a FARM here, not my little garden spaces. :blink:

I reuse my junk mail and envelopes, infact anything that has a blank page. I just tare the relevant bit off, and put it in a pile clipped together with a bull dog clip. This is then put by the phone, or in my case by the bed for all those awesome ideas I wake up with.

I make my own handbags for material oddments from the charity shop.

I also do tote bags to match the handbags.

I use the bags your papers come in on a Saturday as project bags, or the smaller ones to keep sowing in.

I posted this someplace but, can't find it. I saw a link on instructables about folding plastic grocery store bags in the same way you would fold a flag at the end of the day. I have a gallon ziploc storage bag to store them in and am fast approaching quadruple capacity with more room to go as opposed to just cramming bags in.

This one bugs my Dh but I do it anyway.

Whenever we go fishing we buy worms.

If we use them all up, I bring the peat moss home and add it to my compost pile or an indoor plant.

If we still have some worms left, and will be fishing again in the next few days, just put the covered container in your fridge until needed. They little darlins will take a nap until you use them up.

If you still have worms left and won't be using them in a few days, just add worms and the peat to your garden or compost.

This might be helpful to those who bake a lot of cakes and don't want that "hump" in the middle of the layer that you have to trim to get a level layer cake. My old cake instructor told us to take an old towel. Cut it in strips that are long enough to fit aroud the sides of your cake pan with a small amount of overlap. Then you need to fold it lengthwise into 3 or 4 layers. Stitch up all the edges and end on your sewing machine.

THEN you soak the strip in cold water, wring it out and put it around your cake pan, securing it in place with a safety pin. It really does work. You can wash them and use them over and over. Wilton sells these strips made of that metallic looking stuff they used to make potholders out of, but these work just as well. I've never had one burn either. The cost, one old towel and a little effort. Katmom

Are you a seed-saver? Here's another use for junk mail envelopes: cut into half, they make dandy seed envelopes. Fold over the cut edge and seal it with that new-fangled removable tape.

You know those hot pepper sauce bottles with the screw/flip caps that have a tiny hole for shaking out drops of the precious elixir? I clean and reuse them. They are great for holding a manageable amount of bleach to keep handy in the kitchen or bathroom. You can sanitize stuff in a hurry. Grab the bottle, shake out a few drops and go! No more lugging the big bleach bottle for small jobs...

I do the same with ammonia. A few drops sprinkled onto a sponge cuts grease in a hurry! A few wipes of ammonia makes short work of cleaning stovetops, too.

Edited by PureCajunSunshine

Turned some old towels into dusters, another one into a kneeling pad for the garden, and some for the dogs.

Id love to know what other people use them for.

here is what i do to save money. now that my daughter is practically potty trained it is no longer necessary to use a full baby wipe on her. therefore i am able to divide the sheet up to four squares. for my own personal use i do similarly. however there is always one week where i can not and should not use only one fourth.

when you open a can of tuna save the can. why? i found this in frugal living thanks to HILLBILLY HOUSEWIFE. out of electricity, gone camping, batteries are out? use that empty can of tuna to help light the way. pour a little oil in there. cut a thin strip of cloth and put it in the oil. leave a little slightly out after dipping; then light the cloth. i tried it this works. only i ended up cutting a soda can in half. well a tuna can would work better because you don't have to worry about jagged edges. :gathering:

I think I would much rather invest in a cheap oil lamp with a glass chimney instead of having an open flame around children and/or pets. Open flames can be *so* tempting, and in an emergency situation, we may have other things to attend to and not watch closely enough.

I like to save my tuna cans for making fire starters... it can be hard to start a campfire outside. (Hmmm, need to find the link here... ;) ) Or cut perfect biscuits or cookies with them.

:shrug:

I think I would much rather invest in a cheap oil lamp with a glass chimney instead of having an open flame around children and/or pets. Open flames can be *so* tempting, and in an emergency situation, we may have other things to attend to and not watch closely enough.

I was just thinking about oil lamps. I think I'm going to order a hanging ones from lehmans rather than get a table one. Even with just a cat I'm worried about a glass one on a table. Plus my house has at least 4 hooks in the ceiling in every room...lol...the previous owner really loved hooks.

I keep one always ready to use in my bathroom, on the back of the toilet. It's on a non-burnable surface, and it's where I most often need it, because our bathroom has no window. There are others I can bring out into other rooms. ;)

Save plastic cups from beverages at stores (such as 7-11 or fast food). These make great protective tents when a late frost is threatening your seedlings. They act like mini-greenhouses. Remember to remove the cup as soon as it is warm enough or you will scorch the plants.

I save my large plastic gatorade and juice bottles; I cut the bottoms out of them and they make good cloches for small plants. With some of the jugs you can remove the bottoms and tops, leaving the center ring. Press this slightly into the soil around the base of the plant and it creates a protective barrier around the stalk and lower leaves. For the cloches, as Momo said, remember to remove them as the weather warms so you don't burn your plants.

I posted this someplace but, can't find it. I saw a link on instructables about folding plastic grocery store bags in the same way you would fold a flag at the end of the day. I have a gallon ziploc storage bag to store them in and am fast approaching quadruple capacity with more room to go as opposed to just cramming bags in.

I finally figured out how to load pics from my camera to my computer.

post-6253-1254710264_thumb.jpg

post-6253-1254710308_thumb.jpg

post-6253-1254710354_thumb.jpg

20 ounce soda bottles. I live in an apartment that will not allow bird feeders and I can't garden so mini green houses are out. When i am a big grown up homesteader I will be able to make free solar tube lights like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5m9pymx2eA

Here is a solar heater for daytime made of empty soda cans painted black: http://ecotechdaily.com/2009/07/01/free-he...some-soda-cans/

A friend of ours got a new roof after the tornado came through here last spring. He offered my DH his old gutters if he wanted them. We picked them up the other day and DH installed them on the inside wall of our greenhouse a little above eye level. (He didn't want to tie up valuable normal height areas). These little "troughs" are perfect for cutting lettuce ar any other plants that don't have deep roots. You may want to plug the ends before you use them.

Recycle parts of your microwave. If your microwave bites the dust and it has a turntable, you can make a lazy susan out of the glass dish and the little plastic thing under it. Or you can use the glass plate for a serving platter.

Our gutter garden has been copied by all of our friends. We have mounted several of ours on our porch railing right outside the kitchen, so it is easy for me to get my salad cuttings.

20 ounce soda bottles. I live in an apartment that will not allow bird feeders and I can't garden so mini green houses are out. When i am a big grown up homesteader I will be able to make free solar tube lights like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5m9pymx2eA

Here is a solar heater for daytime made of empty soda cans painted black: http://ecotechdaily.com/2009/07/01/free-he...some-soda-cans/

http://videosift.com/video/DIY-lights-from...-NO-electricity

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.