MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Momo

Reuses, recycling, hints and tips

I am definitely trying that Girl Next Door!!! Have to find a black film container and I won't hang it in the roof but it sure sounds good. Have you tried it?

I might set it outside during the day and see if it glows at night.

Lol, only if you catch fireflies in it Miki :happy0203:

Hah!!! :24: Nobody uses black film containers anymore anyway!

Hah!!! :24: Nobody uses black film containers anymore anyway!
I thought that myself. What could we substitute?

How big are the black film canisters ? You mean those little ones ? The video was removed so I can't see it.

I have small black canisters my diabetes test strips come in with a flip top lid. I throw them away, but if that is what you want I can save them. Won't take much for postage to mail.

Violet is right. I use my canisters for storing small important items.

Practically airproof and sturdy.

They'd make for a good small stash container as well.

Girlnextdoor! Maybe black electrical tape. Or if I am not mounting it in the roof, maybe it isn't needed. Would be more like a lantern. Today it is cloudy so I will try tomorrow or whenever weather permits and let everyone know if it works.

Violet--I will see if I can pull this off without you making a trip to the post ofc.

Thanks

The video on the "solar lights" using the bottles and film canisters:

http://videosift.com/video/DIY-lights-from-2-liter-soda-bottles-with-NO-electricity

I loved it because I could understand what they were saying in Portuguese. :wub: FUN!

These are just a basic solar tube that lets the light in when the sun is shining. They're mini skylights that are sometimes called "sun tunnels". http://suntunnelskylights.veluxusa.com/consumer/productinfo

The guy in the video used 2-liter pop bottles filled with bleach water to keep it clear, then covered the lids with film canisters to seal the lids tightly or just protect it from the sunlight and deterioration. That way only the very top didn't let light in. The water-filled bottles were sealed into holes cut into the roof, where daylight streamed through into the building. You'd need to be sure they are well sealed so they don't leak.

In the video, they are shown in a business and in a home. But it's not a "fancy" home. It looks like a low-income home to me.

Another consideration when you don't live in Brazil is what cold winter weather would do to these. :( I wonder if just air would be ok? It sure wouldn't have the expansion that water would. :shrug:

Maybe I am losing it but I had a mini brainstorm yesterday.

I have been saving prescription bottles from Target. I have used all I can for hobbies etc and realized I needed to throw some out. As I reached for the garbage, I saw the little rubber band around the neck. You can get this band in any color you want. Mine are purple. It is removable and voila...I now have napkin rings for free...lol.

Maybe I'll change my color and get a "set of napkin rings" in another color!

If anyone in your family uses syringes or blood testing lancets, instead of buying a plastic container to dispose of them in your trash..recycle a liquid laundry package. (I have my DIL save these for us since we still buy dry laundry detergent.)

For those few of us here that still use an electric dryer (I KNOW, I KNOW I SHOULD LINE DRY!) No guilt complex here, instead of using dryer sheets to reduce static cling, dilute fabric softner (I use 1 part liquid softener to 5 parts water) and use small sponges. I soak the sponge in the solution, wring out the excess (over the recycled cottage cheese container I store my solution in) and toss the sponge in with my load of laundry to be dried. The sponges last for about a year and sure beats the bags of "disposable" dryer sheets I ended up collecting! (Those things are good for nothing but filling up land fills! I attempted to collect enough to make pillow stuffing out of, but the sponge solution is so much simpler and definitely less wasteful!)

From Philbe...I save my dryer lint and dryer sheets and stick them my used up toilet paper cylinders...they're great fire starters for our camp fire. I just spritz a little hand sanitizer on them, put a match to them, and they're off and burning! LOL

Fixed brown rice last night for supper...had some of the mylar bags that I've saved from chips etc., so put the rest of the dried rice into what used to be a pretzel bag (that I had washed and dried previously) and used my vacume sealer to re-seal it, taped the "Rice" label from the plastic bag of rice onto the mylar bag and it's waiting for it's next meal. And yes, my food saver seals mylar fantastically, but only for smaller bags. I use a hair flat iron to seal the bigger bags.

My microwave of 20 years fianlly died. I looked at it trying to see if anything was recyclable. I saved the glass dish and the little plastic thing underneath it. I made a lazy susan spice tray for my countertop. It actually looks nice. DH didn't even give me one of his looks. (the you're a packrat look..lol)

A glass lazy Susan would look very nice! I don't remember ever seeing one for sale. Admittedly I've never looked for one. But it sure would be a lot easier to clean than a wooden one. Way to use your noodle! :bow:

Awesome Momo. I should have thought of that when my last microwave died.

I needed to raise up our porch table by about a 1/4 inch, moving the table around, after a few years, wore the rubber tips down. I found several plastic couplings I had saved when I replaced our faucets. They screwed on the rubber tips on the table legs, giving the the height I needed to put a base (we were given) for an umbrella (we found, which I replace the material with other material we found). Yeah, I'm cheap. Sprayed painted them black to match the cast iron.

There's nothing wrong with being frugal!!! (unless you re-use tp...yes I know someone who did that...lol)

There's nothing wrong with being frugal!!! (unless you re-use tp...yes I know someone who did that...lol)

I've reused TP. A couple of times when I had the flu, and was on the pot, I blew my nose and used the paper for...ahem....the other end.

In my defense I was pretty sick though. And it was easier than rolling off some more. And I was using a lot of TP at the time. The flu can make you take short cuts you might not have thought of other wise. :24:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.