Ephesians 3:2

Darlene

I think I'm gonna keep this simple for the next few days. I feel that jumping in yesterday and doing what I didn't wanna do (I find it interesting how I sometimes feel such a strong force trying to stop me), which was this Ephesians study, finally broke the ice.

Lord,

Thank You for Your Word, thank You for Your faithfulness and everything that is about You. Please protect this study, protect our hearts and minds, and teach us more about You...

2. (If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Calvin writes, "If ye have heard. There is reason to believe, that, while Paul was at Ephesus, he had said nothing on these subjects, no necessity for doing so having arisen; for no controversy had taken place among them about the calling of the Gentiles. If he had made any mention of them in his discourses, he would have reminded the Ephesians of his former statements, instead of referring generally, as he now does, to common report and to his own Epistle. He did not, of his own accord, raise unnecessary disputes. It was only when the wickedness of his adversaries made it necessary, that he reluctantly undertook the defense of his ministry. Dispensation (οικονομια) means here a divine order or command, or, as it is generally expressed, a commission"

Wesley shares, "The dispensation of the grace of God given me in your behalf - That is, the commission to dispense the gracious gospel; to you gentiles in particular. This they had heard from his own mouth."

And finally, Clarke comments, "If ye have heard of the dispensation] The compound particle eige, which is commonly translated if indeed, in several places means since indeed, seeing that, and should be translated so in this verse, and in several other places of the New Testament. Seeing ye have heard of the dispensation of God, which is given me to you-ward: this they had amply learned from the apostle during his stay at Ephesus, for he had not shunned to declare unto them the whole counsel of God, Acts xx. 27, and kept nothing back that was profitable to them, Acts xx. 20. And this was certainly among those things that were most profitable, and most necessary to be known.

By the dispensation of the grace of God we may understand, either the apostolic office and gifts granted to St. Paul, for the purpose of preaching the Gospel among the Gentiles, see Romans i. 5; or the knowledge which God gave him of that gracious and Divine plan which he had formed for the conversion of the Gentiles. For the meaning of the word economy see the note on chap. i. 10."

Heavenly Father,

I don't know what to say other than I love Your Word and I need it, we all need it.

Please help and teach me and us. Finish the work You have started with this study. I feel so safe and secure while doing it.

In Jesus Name,

Archived