MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 26

*WHEW* I was gonna try to catch the last one at 250 posts, but it's already gone past. rollingeyes

So let's get at it with thread #26...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE?

Hmmm, for me, not a whole awful lot. But I hope to get busy next week, when things get back to "normal" (whatever THAT is). shrug

I'm living in fear that my van's brakes will give out once & for all... they're not good, and cold and ice make them worse. Today, I barely made it to church when a hose busted and ALL of my antifreeze drained out. So far, God has been gracious... I haven't been stranded or in an accident.

I think I'm being led to remember that NO vehicle lasts... mecry

I have all the ingrediants to make bread and my family is enthusiastic about the results. I'm using my old bread machine I unearthed from five years ago, but I know I can make it by hand if I have to.

I've started making myself sit down with the Sunday grocery store flyers and coupons to prepare lists of what I want. This is a bit more organized than I have been, I'm hoping it saves me a bit and gives me a little more stocking up options. I've been resisting hitting two grocery stores and BJ's each week but I know I really should.

I'm starting to try and figure out what to plant in a vegetable garden and what I have to do before I actually get to plant anything. Oh well, at least I will no longer have any time to get bored.

I went back to the 20/week plan and bought 3 jars of spaghetti sauce - had almost the whole list for weeks one and two.

cheer YAY, Dora! Keep going!!! cheer

Debbie, you don't HAVE to grow all of your own.

Here's a map for finding nearby Farmer's Markets by state:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/map.htm

More links:

http://www.localharvest.org/

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/marketing-and-...arket-_-na-_-na

http://farmersmarket.com/

In the UK:

http://www.farmersmarkets.net/

bighug

I set 8 duck eggs under a chicken. She hatched a clutch 2 days ago and I brought her babies inside and she went back to setting on the last two eggs in her clutch. They were duds so I thought I'd see if I could get some ducklings. LOL

This week I found dry beans and rice on sale, and picked up 10 assorted bags of beans and 5 lb. bag of rice. Also picked up 4 tomato sauce,2 lg. mixed veggies, 4 tuna, 2 sliced potatoes, 2 containers of creole roux mix, 4 cream of mushroom, 2 rotel tomatoes, 400 pk splenda, 5 bags sugar, 1 lg. pk spaghetti, and I have been doing this about every 2 weeks if possible. Find sales and pick up a few of each. Plus started my diet and walking, to get in shape again. Lost 5.2 lbs. this week. star

I went to the restaurant supply store in the city and stocked up on some things that they carry cheaper than elsewhere, such as cooking oils, sugar, yeast, etc. They had a special on pecan meal (finely chopped pecans). One pound, 11 ounce jars were $1.75 each. I use a LOT of pecans in baking, so I bought all six jars on their shelf.

Have fun learning how to can, Staceyy!

I am making better lists for sales at the various groc. stores and matching coupons to them. Stores here don't double but dh works near some that do and will get me what I need if I send him with a list and the coupons.

Just takes time but saves a lot...sure builds the pantry quickly that way.

I placed my first order for whole wheat berries. Also ordered a bucket of rolled oats. Won't be here for a bit, though. Tomorrow is shopping day, so will add some foods this week.

I gave a deposit on a pair of milk goats.

Next up.....need to get more laying hens.

bananabanana had great sales at several stores today. Mom, Sis, and myself went shoppingcart I bought 10 medium size denty moore beef stew @ 1.50 each 8 medium size denty moore chicken & dumplings @ 1.50 each 6 large cans beef tamales 8 large cans chili(no beans) 2 large cans hominey 6 large cans green beans (regular price) 4 large cans mixed veggies (regular price) 30 small cans green beans, whole potatoes, zucinni,& corn peas 12 cans tomato sauce @ 4 for a buck. 10 packs zatarine's microwaveable 1 serving dishes 20 lbs. sugar 10 lbs. ground chuck 4 cans chicken broth 2 cans mandarin oranges 2 bottles ketchup 6 jars peanut butter @ .99 each (now have to make my jelly) 2 bottles dish detergent 2 jugs laundry detergent ** 15 lbs. cat fish on sale whistling for diet star

I got my delivery from Honeyville grains. I now have a case of milk, a case of eggs, case of assorted veggies, case of assorted fruit and a case of mixed tvp.

This is my first long term storage food, I'd been concentrating on regular grocery store type food.

I have a lead on 55 gallon water containers at 25 dollars. I hope they're ok and I can get them this weekend.

Look at all the newbies whippin' up on it out here!

cheercheercheer

Go team go!!!

grouphug2

Cross your fingers, I'm broaching the *we need more stored water* battle tomorrow.

I have barrle and siphon prices. Where I'm putting it. all the info...ready for the arguement wink

Added more food. Put up some more flour, some spaghetti, a couple pounds of beans, cans of fruit and veggies. We are still building the short term storage while we are working on our long term storage, so we added a couple more family sized cans of ravioli.

Oh yeah, finally told the wife that I placed the order for wheat. I guess it is time for a grinder, huh? Can I grind flour with a food processor or blender for the time being? Or anyone have any recipes for whole or cracked wheat?

I bought whole oats and some corn meal in bulk the other day. Also have a one year supply of dog food (for the little ones) put away. The dog food actually worked out to be .50 cents cheaper per package than last year!!! I had to wait it out to get the best sale on it.

I finally found some sambucol, elderbery extract, and purchased a bottle with a small bottle of echincea included.

I've decided to really try to keep up with this topic this year--to help me stay on track and focuses, so here goes. . . . Last week I started the inventory on my HABA (health and beauty aids) and realized that nearly all my over-the-counter flu meds had expired! (Not sure how I short-circuited on that one, sigh). Also noticed a few holes here and there in first-aid stuff (DS2 has a thing for band-aids, lol.) So, THIS week, when I took DM to Sam's club, I stocked up on flu stuff (also got some on sale at Rite-Aid), band-aids & Kleenex. Also got some tuna, pasta and some beautiful red/orange/yellow peppers that I plan to dry tomorrow.

Also, placed another order with MRE Depot (the boys like their canned chicken, so got that and a few other things.

Also, doing some organizing/decluttering this week to make room for more preps. Always, more preps. . . grin

I bought band aids; caught some Nexcare reduced. Never can have enough band aids.

I decided this year that I want to track our grocery spending. I've started hitting sales and coupons again hardcore & I'm tracking my 2008 grocery budget on my blog. The things I got this past weekend are pretty much preps stuff or rotation stuff.

I also went to a thrift shop yesterday & picked up a 4-Tier Rack that I'll be putting on the back of a door. It was BRAND new for TWO bucks!!! *happy dance*

I ordered a potato ricer (trying to build up my supply of non-electric "small appliances", if you will). Bought a copy of "Dining During the Depression", which has lots of recipes that take simple, easy to find ingredients.

I think we're about to get more firewood too, since my parents had seven trees go down in the tornado that hit SW Washington this past week and they already had more firewood than they could store.

Ordered a copy of Household Search Light recipe book from 1941. A friend has a copy and said it is wonderful. I'm hoping it has hints on how to do without since it is from the war era.

Interesting cookbook titles, authors please? Used? Book reports?