MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 26

Actually, I did notice where our Wal-Mart had a few canning supplies on the housewares aisle where they have plastic plates and sun-tea jars for summer. There was only 1 box of Golden Harvest pint jars, 1 jar of Ball's pickling spice stuff both of which I got, and some Sure-jell and I picked up a pack of that (2 fers) as well as one of the sun tea jars. So I'll be on the lookout for their canning stuff, which apparently they start putting out in quantity about this time of year.

vet wrap.... aka co-flex bandage... AWESOME stuff... for wrapping injuries or covering gauze on a wound.. sticks to itself...

My dh had a couple wounds this winter on hands or arms and it was great to use over the gauze.

Vet wrap is available from tack stores and on line from such tack shops as Schneider's in Ohio, Dover in MA, Liberty in IL, etc. It is really great stuff and comes in a lot of colors. When I was riding, I sometimes wrapped my mare's legs in something bright to school cross country!

http://www.polowrap.com/leg-protection.shtml

2603.jpg This one is made by 3M -They make everything in the US

Another case of canned corn, about a hundred pounds of flour, a gallon of cooking oil, case of bottled water, more salt and aluminum foil, tracked down a new source for buckets and placed a small order at Bob's Red Mill.

Replaced well pipes. Should be very good to go now for some time.

Made dental checkup appointments for everyone.

Made animal vet appointments. The cats keep the mice away (mice LOVE log homes) and the dogs are security, so I count their upkeep and care as a prep item. Plus if I spend the money on their shots now we are good for another year, which helps if dh's job slows down.

Worked on some more home security measures.

Cut and hauled more wood for burning to save on fuel oil. We've only burned about 100 gallons at most this winter, whoo hoo!

Still working on talking dh into a grain mill; we are getting closer all the time. I think he is basically okay with it now.

Whew! Making progress a little at a time!

frozenfrozenfrozen

The psuedo SPRING weather ended in the wee hours this morning. *sigh*

Had to postpone plans to bring up the buck for my goat does AGAIN. Breeder's truck broke down Saturday AND this was even a worse snowstorm than the one that stopped us last week. [My nanny ...dear friend wink just called and ordered me to wait until they got back here and they will help me feed tonite. Said it's realllly bad out there. DH won't be back for 48 hrs this time.]

Welll, since the goats already came in heat on Monday, they are in no hurry for The Boy. Plan C....go down this Friday and get him. shrug

Does filling my 'on fumes' gas tank count? busted ...I never let it go below 1/2 but....had to take chains off; had to find driver to bring it to the 20-cents-cheaper station that's outside my 5 mile driving limit... rollingeyes

Tried twice to get to the feed store and....well, poo! Things just aren't going as I try to plan them this week. I'm gonna join MtMamma and HS but I'm having a chocolate malt! wink

MtRider [i also reviewed/updated my Purchasing Priorities binder. That counts! ]

I FINALLY made it to Costco! I have been wanting to re-stock for a few months but my schedule has made it a pain. Pretty much I replaced everything we rotated and I'm back to a prep level where I don't feel severely nervous. I had completely used up all my flour! (I have grains but ready made stuff is kind of nice)

I have ordered form several places and I am waiting for that.

Need more buckets and gamma seals. Always something.

I went regular grocery shopping today. But I did pick up 2 50oz. bottles of liquid Dial soap for 5.00 total. I got a couple of boxes of salt, 10 lbs. of sugar, 5 lbs. of flour and 2 bottles of honey. Also, 6 boxes of angel hair pasta. I like the angel hair better than regular spaghetti and it cooks so much faster. They had barley on sale so I got 4 boxes of that. I like to throw a handful in soups and stews.

Nothing major but a little at a time...

Found my old Countryside and Backwoods Home magazines and started reading them again. Lots of good info in there... think I will subscribe again.

DH scrounged up some 1/2 gallon canning jars I had in the basement that I bought at my grandparents' estate sale. Don't use them for canning but I am planning to use them in the pantry for my wheat. Still have some of the blue ones down there that I am saving for something.... don't know what yet.

Canned chili and chicken thighs. Have 8 pounds of pinto beans soaking so I will can them tomorrow. Got most of my preps organized but haven't done an inventory list yet, which I really want to get done. Have started whining for DH to buy us a garden tiller....may take some time, tho....lots of whining. He just got a little bonus check and I would be glad to spend it for him.

My first post in this thread...:)

I ordered a 25 lb bag of beans from a local store that will place bulk orders for a 10% discount. It's the first time I've done that and the lady looked at me strange, so I just told her that I've bought a couple of the smaller bags, but my family just can't get enough! Plus, it's true, my family does love them.

I got a subscription to Mother Earth News, because my mom got me an issue and it had some great gardening and alternative energy articles. Plus it has an article on how to build your own woodstove. I thought that was cool. wink

I'm sore from all the seed starting..ugh my arms..but, you wouldn't believe the number of starts I have currently "working"..have washed 29 icing buckets that I received from the bakery at the grocery store near us....set up the wheelbarrel like a sink in the back yard adn scrubbed the dickens out of them...hit em with a little bleach and set them out in the sun to "bake" a while...then will rinse them out again and dry again, and then start filling them up....

Off to find my daily to do list.....

IN HIS LOVE,

foxfire

I organized my tiny storage room.

I cleaned out my freezer.

I thought about my order for our monthly food club. wiggle

Back to work!

Picked up two more months supply of tp for the stash. Got FOUR buckets with lids! 20 pounds of rice and 6 big cans of sardines ($1/can) canned milk, paper towels and gallon ziplock baggies.

Bought 9 boxes of cereal for 1 dollar each (Cheerios, Kix, Captn Crunch, Total). I will go back tomorrow for the same deal and get 9 more boxes (two different stores Frys and Safeway) Four containers of hand soap for 1 buck each. I will go buy more tomorrow.

Bought more peanut butter. Enough for a couple months.

I just don't want to buy a years worth because of the fact that we may move.

Oh, wow... this thread has gone on *quite* a bit... 290 posts? eek

Grace&Violets... you think Mother Earth News is good now... you should'a seen it back in the 70s when it was *NEW*!!! (ACKK! I am *so* telling my age!! oops )

If you can't find old issues of it (people HATED to throw them out!), the magazine has CDs of archived stuff to buy. My FIL gave DH his set of magazines. clap

http://www.motherearthnews.com/

CDs:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/shopping/br...spx?subject=ACD

Sorry, folks... I'm locking this thread up so we can go play in the NEW one!!!

bighug