MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 26

By the end of the night I will have canned 14 quarts of the Ball Book stew. I am using meat that I bought on sale last fall. At the time I didn't need the extra meat but had gotten so self-confident about canning meat from the inspiration here at Mrs. S that I knew I would have time during the winter months to can it.

I also found a recipe to use up saur kraut. Talk about keeping track of preps! I had purchased 24 cans of kraut, forgot all about that, and turned around and bought 24 more! We like kraut but I had visions of the you know what hitting the fan because we overdosed on kraut!

I talked my wife into going into Sams. We had a membership, but it lapsed about 2 years ago. She needed to get some stuff for the school, so she decided to renew the membership. While there, I found out the real reason that she didn't want to get bulk rice, she doesn't want to get stuck with 50# of rice that we've never eaten and don't know if we like. To me, it looks like the River Rice we usually get, so I was able to talk her into a 25# bag. We'll give it a shot and see what she things about it.

I did find that our Sams doesn't carry bulk Pintos like many of you get. I was very disappointed. Maybe I'll check another Sams.

Glad you and your wife are coming to a meeting of the minds on prepping Fritz. We all think differently about things. At least she was thinking ahead.

When I was at our Sams Club the other day, I noticed they didn't have any dried beans. I thought maybe I was just over looking them. Hummm. I wonder if they don't carry them? Next month I'll try Sams in a different location and see.

I've been looking for beans at Sam's for a while, but all they have ever had is pintos in a 10lb bag.

Rite Aid has Hereford corned beef on sale this week 4 for $5. I hit ever Rite Aid in town and ended up with 22 cans. It expires in 2012. We love corned beef hash, so no matter how much I buy, we won't have any problems rotating it.

I also got a box of Mason jars at the Salvation Army for $2.99.

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe

I did find that our Sams doesn't carry bulk Pintos like many of you get. I was very disappointed. Maybe I'll check another Sams.

I think that dried beans are a regional item. I know that here in SE Virginia, Sams does not carry them. Sure wish they did.

Before running around all over the place go to sams club online and look for dried beans. You will have to select each store in your area individually to check it, but no point in wasting gas.

Look in the yellow pages for a latin grocery near you. They will prob have bulk dried beans. Call and ask first. Some grocery stores will also order stuff for you special. Ask.

We only have 2 Sams in our area. They are equal distances away; in opposit directions.

Does anyone have BJ's clubs in your area? We have one but I've never been in it. I get offers to join quite often. No Costco places anywhere around here.

Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
Before running around all over the place go to sams club online and look for dried beans. You will have to select each store in your area individually to check it, but no point in wasting gas.

I didn't know I could do that. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Jeepers
Does anyone have BJ's clubs in your area? We have one but I've never been in it

We took their offer to join for a couple months. I can't put my finger on why, but we didn't particularly like BJs.

If you can get the parboiled rice in the bulk size, you might want to go with that. The vitamins are nearly as high as in brown rice, but it keeps better. It also cooks up nice and fluffy and not mushy.

Angela, what a deal on blueberries! Yummy!

I feel like I am just getting back into the swing of things. I placed a huge order today with Azure Standard. We ordered a lot of beef, frozen veggies, oats, spices, etc. My cupboards and freezer are quite low, so this will make me feel better.

We LOVE BJ's!!! I did a test run thru Sam's & Costco (the ones I would have been shopping at) with a chart listing my staples, things we need often and things we were in the market for (things like flours, sugar, coffee, mattresses, ink cartridges, etc). I think I had a list of about 12 items. Sam's just did not at all impress me & the Costco was SO overcrowded, over priced & everyone from the customers to the employees were horribly rude. We'd had a BJ's m'ship about 4 years ago & got our computer. This go-round we've definitely gotten our money's worth with the mattress purchases a lone not to mention other stuff. The prices were fairly comparable with Sam's on my test run, but here at least, they beat Costco out. BJ's also has a GREAT customer service staff.

I make heavy use of Winco Foods. They are a bulk grocery store, no membership needed. Just made a run. 25 #'s of cornmeal 11.95.

That seems like a lot, but I was happy to find it in bulk, at what I thought a reasonable price.

I'm curious about BJ's. Do they have a website?

Bought canned fruit & veggies on sale this week, glad to get them since I am up to my b*** in snow! Won't be seeing my garden for quite some time. Also some shampoo/conditioner on sale and other asst. canned goods. Got more detergent and 50# of wheat flour from Azures, don't know what happened to my 50# of white flour, didn't make it off the truck! Shopping day this Friday, need to see where the pantry needs are, hoping to make a trek to Wal-Mart, my closest cheapest store (25 miles away) heard they have been lowering prices, we will see if the weather cooperates!

Toni

Making lists here in preparation for getting our tax money. Hubby says I can go ahead and get a year supply of grain and dried beans and the grinder necessary to make flour out of some of it. I'm excited about this! I'm allergic to wheat, so I'm looking to get a grinder that can make flour out of garbanzo beans or even acorns if I had to. Been looking at Lehman's online....drool....

As to actual preps this week--stocked up on apple juice, grape juice and cranberry juice. Had coupons and found good sale.

Our new wood stove is using wood differently than we are used to so we may have to get a couple more cords of seasoned wood! We got green wood stacked up for next year...but that would make too much creosote in the chimney so we might just pop for two more cords of seasoned wood. A little budget juggling will be in order. I refuse to use money that's been put in the bank, LOL At least this won't happen again--we will have a better idea of the amount of wood for this stove.

Just returned from Mexico bought some med's there. Now home I will have to decide what I need to get from Sam's I am really low on some things.

Originally Posted By: Skagitgal
I make heavy use of Winco Foods. They are a bulk grocery store, no membership needed. Just made a run. 25 #'s of cornmeal 11.95.

That seems like a lot, but I was happy to find it in bulk, at what I thought a reasonable price.

I'm curious about BJ's. Do they have a website?

We have a Winco Foods being built right now. I was curious, do they carry any organic foods in bulk? I can't wait to check out this store when it comes in. That's a great deal on cornmeal! smile

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe
Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres

I didn't know I could do that. Thanks.

I went onto Sams web site and there isn't a Sams within 100 miles of me that carries big bags of pinto beans. I guess I need to take a look at some of the ethnic markets in the area. Hopefully we can find a source, if not, it will be the pound bags until we get what we need.

I went to Aldi's today and picked up a case each of corn and greenbeans. I also purchased 4 pounds of salt, 2 boxes of baking soda, 2 cans of baking powder and 1 can of baking cocoa.

I also scoped out the prices while I was there and I'm making my list for things to stock up on. I need more canned meats more veggies so I'll be going back in a few weeks.

Yesterday I went to Walgreens armed with a bunch of coupons and their monthly rebate flyer. I stocked up on cold medicines, toothpaste, bath gel, stuff like that.

Today I ordered a used copy of Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living.

I picked up a case of canned tomatos (20 cans, for 10 dollars), and 9 boxes of Kraft Macaroni and cheese (the expensive kind) for 0.67 each. I added to my cheese collection by buying four more packages of Kraft cheese for 67 cents. I bought the shredded cheese for 67 cents too. Two packages, to add to the packages I already have. I bought a half dozen cans of pineapple.

In all I spent 104 dollars at the store and saved 89.98

That included buying overpriced milk for 3. a gallon and a dozen donuts for 4.99. They have gone up a dollar!

I go to the food bank today to buy the food package, and that is where I get my bread from.

EDIT: For 44 dollars at the food bank, I recieved:

I large sheet cake (decorated for Superbowl)

2 coffee cakes

5 loaves of bread

1 package of 8 croissants

4 packages of melba toast

6 pack of diet coke

6 containers of ice tea

1 large bag of salad greens

1 large bag of mixed wild greens

4 large bags of oranges

1 large bag of tangerines

1 spaghetti squash

1 head of cabbage

1 bag of red potato 3 lbs

8 chayote squash

4 apple turnovers

Orange cranberry scones (4)

33 oz chocolate chip cookies

72 large cookies on a platter (chocolate chip, peanut butter, m and m's sugar cookies and oatmeal raisin cookies)

2 bags of ruffles light chips.

2 deluxe german chocolate cake mix and a hot fudge brownie sundae mix.

4- 1/2 gallon containers of tangerine and orange juice

5 dozen eggs

1 package of hamburger buns

Box containing 4 chicken breasts, 6 hamburgers, 4 pork chops, 4 steaks, and two packages of ribs.

Corn flakes box

peanut butter 12 oz

two bags of penne pasta

1 bag of rice

2 cans of chicken noodle soup

2 cans of tuna

2 cans of corn

2 cans of green beans

1 can of peaches

1 can of diced tomatos

1 package tandori Naan flat bread

(three dollars of the 44 was for turkey breast marinated in dijon mustard sauce -- I got two and Tempura style vegetables for 2 dollars, I got two, and 1 package of breaded cheese sticks -- for 3 dollars)

I bought a newspaper log maker off of Ebay and started making my own newspaper logs. I also started making my own firestarters from pinecones and paraffin and lint and paraffin.

Thanks all, for the BJ's site and info.

Alas, they are not a west coast business.

At Winco I find some bulk organic items; also many commercially prepared organic items.

Thay have bulk flours, & all the items needed to make bread, and other beans, popcorn, seeds.

Actually, for around here, Winco prices are pretty good. Groceries are more expensive here by about a fourth, from the prices I see you'all post.

They are 30 miles from where we live; I go along when hubby goes on a parts run. It doesn't count against the food...if were going anyway!!!LOL.