MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whats for Dinner???

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found leg quarters a while back for .69lb if you bought 10lbs. I seperated them into packages of 3 and froze them. Tonight we are having chicken, broccoli and rice cooked in home made tomato juice instead of water. Found frozen broccoli for .98lb. yesterday and thought that sounded good.

The chicken is on the wood stove in a pot of water thawing and simmering some right now. It will have to be finished on the regular stove but it will thaw enough to seperate and get the skin off. smile

Aw to heck with it I'll just go to Heathers' house for supper. What time is it? bouquetgrin

Hippie Dad found good prices on turkey at Thanksgiving, and I notice one has been thawing in the kitchen.

I assume he was in the mood for turkey, so I guess we'll have that... gobble.gif

Clovis, you should have come on over. It ended up going from feeding 7 to feeding 12 with 30 minutes notice. Thank goodness for a good pantry!! Everyone was amazed that the pie was homemade made from apples I had canned last fall. The gravy was made from the turkey broth I had canned from the last turkey we had. The beans were frozen from last summers garden and the butternut squash was from last summers garden and hanging out in the basement ready to be eaten. Can you tell my in laws don't prep and don't cook either? They all love coming to my house though.

We were supposed to have leftovers for dinner tonight, but there aren't nearly enough, so I'm going to have to get creative.

We had a vegetarian burrito/enchilada thingy I whip up when we're hungry and I'm exhausted. It's kidney beans (half mashed), cottage cheese, and chunky salsa mixed together (depending on my mood, I sometimes add some corn) and then wrapped burrito style in a tortilla shell. I put taco sauce and shredded cheese over them in a pan and pop it in the oven till everything is hot. Tonight my husband and I had a salad with it, and my 2yo had some carrot sticks and broccoli spears with ranch dressing as a dip.

We had a fresh pork roast from DF cooked in marinade with onions, home dried tomatoes and peppers for seasoning with potatoes added the last couple of hours. Got it good ond hot on the slow cooker pad then put it on the wood stove the rest of the day. Steamed some frozen mixed veggies and called it supper. Very good. Did discover fresh home grown pork is drier than store bought because it doesn't have very much fat.

Today Pa and the youngins are sick.. So for lunch I warmed up a jar of chicken soup (Darlene's) I added barley, rice and noodles.

For supper little dd and I made pizza wraps.. Tortilla shells, pizza sauce, mozz cheese, microwave 40 seconds and eat. It's just been one of those lazy days.

Oooo... I have to remember that one for our little one. She loves pizza and is very adamant about helping in the kitchen when I'm making dinner. That would be something neither of us would get frustrated making.

Tonight was another easy night... tuna noodle casserole!

Since my husband complained we were always eating "baby food" (I was always trying to make meals our toddler would like and eat), I started alternating nights of "adult food" with toddler friendly food. So last night we had chinese rice, pepper chicken, and chow mein w/ stirfry veggies.

Pot roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli and baby carrots with pineapple-applesauce cake for dessert.

No one would ever guess everyone here likes broccoli (and that it's cheap)

Beef stroganoff, and there's cake left.

I have to make a huge batch of chili for tomorrow at church. Some of the guys will be weatching the Super Bowl, the youth are having a game party, and who knows how many of the gals will join 'em...?

So we'll probably have chili tonight.

But then I have a big bowl of seafood salad and another of 5-Cup salad, so I guess we can all just nibble, if we like.

shrug

Archived