MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Feeding one person for a year $112.35

This will supply nearly 2,000 calories/day for one year with adequate protein and fat. If you know what wild foods to forage for greens or can grow a small patch of greens, you can provide vitamins at no additional cost. You will also need salt and will want some other seasonings. You may be able to grow or forage for fruits, nuts, peppers etc.

This is prob one of the more boring diets in existence, but my mother told me this is the diet that kept her family alive through the depression and WWII. They did have a garden and grew lots of collards.

1. Pinto beans, 50 pounds at Sams Club for 25.43 1500 cal/pound = 75,000

2. Field corn, 50 pounds at Feed Store for 6.50 1500 cal/pound = 75,000

3. Bakers liquid shortening 35 # at Sam's 22.49 3500 cal/pound = 122,500 calories

Buy one container liq shortening $22.49, 2 bags of beans $50.86, 6 bags of corn $39.00, Total 112.35

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use a LOT of rice and beans in our everyday cooking. Cheap, easy to make, and tastes good.

I never thought of how much corn we eat, but we go through a fair amount of that too.

The cracked corn is field (dent) corn that has been run thru a grain mill. Popcorn is a flint type corn. You can use the cracked corn and remill it to corn meal, but it is much better to get whole shelled corn and mill that. I've seen bits of cob and stuff in with the cracked corn. It is easier to clean stuff out of the whole corn before grinding than to try to clean the cracked. Also, the whole corn will stay fresh much longer than the cracked.

One wants whole FIELD corn, not pop corn. Pop corn is much costlier than field corn.

Also, if you get whole corn as opposed to cracked corn, you could plant it if you had to. So it will store better, AND it will be potentially useful to grow more corn if you need to. It will be a hybrid, if you buy it from the feed store. And so it won't grow uniformly when planted like the hybrid (F-1) seed would - once grown out, the seed from the hybrid will not grow "true" to type - that takes many generations of carefully selecting seed to save, which is how a new variety is created. But it WILL grow corn, and that may make all the difference.

You get whole field corn from the feed store, generally in 50 pound bags. At least, it is sold at feed stores in the Midwest - cannot speak to what is available on the coasts.

Thanks CG. I'll call our local feed store to see if they have it. More questions...does field corn have any chemicals put in it? And, if I'm going to store this can it just be put into the 5 gal buckets or do I need to do something to it?

Unless you buy organic grain, or raise it yourself, ALL grain has been farmed using chemicals, so yes, there may be some chemical residues in it. But that is true of all the grain products you buy at the grocery store, cornmeal, bread, flour, etc. If it isn't organic, you are getting some farming chemicals in your diet. It probably won't kill you soon, anyway, and having some food, even non-organic, is probably better than starvation. wink

The grain you buy at the feed store will not have been treated like non-organic seed corn, however, as it is assumed that it will be consumed by critters rather than being planted. Non-organic seed corn (corn you buy specifically as seed) has been treated to help prevent disease issues when planting, particularly with early planting in cool, damp soil which is the modern preference.

It comes in feed sacks, which are something like dog food bags if you are familiar with those. Sacks like that are susceptible to rodents, of course. And sacks like that are not for really long term storage, as they are not impervious to oxygen. So, if you want to store this away long term, put it in buckets, and deal with it as you would wheat - the bags and oxygen absorbers, etc. would be helpful to extend its storage life. If you intend to start using it immediately and to convert your diet to eat out of storage (at least in part), and if you are able to store it somewhere where there are no rodent issues, then you don't have to get so extreme in your storage method.

Tell the feed store guy you want animal feed corn, deer corn or for chickens, it is basically the same thing. Do NOT get corn chops, which is cracked corn.

I store mine in mylar bags with O2 absorbers in blue totes or buckets. I keep a bucket in the kitchen with a Gamma lid that I use out of regularly. I grind it in my regular grain mill and eat from it several times a week. I find the local corn is cheaper to buy than rice or wheat and I use it to stretch my bucks and give me more variety in my diet. You won't believe how much better tasting it is than the stale corn meal from the grocery store.

We grow acres of field corn and yes it's full of herbicides and fertilizers (both chemicals) as is everyone elses, unless it's certified organic. It's also genetically modified which, in part anyway, means it's ready for certain herbicides to put on it that won't kill the corn stalks but will kill all other weeds. If there are others I don't know of them but what we grow here is called "Round Up" ready (a chemical). All of this is used, not necessarily to feed the world, but it's what is economically feasible, or so I'm told.

We grow acres of soybeans also that too are Round Up ready.

I have whole dried corn...now I need to know what to use to grind it with...I have the Back to Basics from this site... http://waltonfeed.com/hand.html. In the description it says it easily mills corn but at the bottom of the page it says...Note from web page author: This grinder will not grind large seed like corn or coffee beans.

So, I'm guessing I can't use it for corn. Plus, I thought I saw somewhere that people don't use the same grinder for wheat and corn because corn gums up the blades? So what does everyone do if they want to grind a variety of grains?

Around these parts, 'deer corn' and 'feed corn' are two very different things...

Deer corn is a lot cheaper, and contains more 'trash' in it. Lots of broken kernels, too.

'Feed corn' is much much cleaner, and more wholesome. 'tis only slightly more expensive...

Originally Posted By: dogmom4
So what does everyone do if they want to grind a variety of grains?

(this is a repost from a thread about whole grains...) http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...true#Post167336

I don't have a grinder (yet)...

For years and years, I've used two rocks for grinding stuff.

If ya'll ever find yourselves without a working storebought grain grinder (for whatever reason: broken, stolen or just don't have one), consider using what the ancients used: grinding stones. I have a pair of very old ones that I use from time to time, and I can say this: grinding wheat by hand is hard work!!!! Grinding dried field corn with it is much easier, and grinding millet is easiest of all. I have not tried grinding popcorn with it (yet).

My larger grinding stone is about the size of a car's steering wheel, with a depression hollowed out caused from years of use. Eventually, the action of the smaller handheld stone grinding the grains, acorns, whatevers against the larger stone formed a handy hollow in the larger stone, making the job easier than if it were just a plain flat rock...

If the stones are reasonably hard, and not apt to bits crumbling or flaking off as you work, any two stones with a slightly rough texture should get the grinding job done. From a bit of trial and error, I learned that a gentle thud with the handheld rock smacked against the grains (that are sitting in the little hollow in the larger stone), then a pushing or dragging action of the smaller handheld stone against the larger one, with the grains inbetween the rocks, does a pretty good job of rendering the grain to flour...

Oh hey, it takes a loooong time to grind wheat this way...it takes me between a half hour to forty minutes of energetic handgrinding for less than a cup of wheat flour.

My old antique grinding stones are of Native American origin and were originally used to grind softer stuff than wheatberries...maybe dried acorns that had the tannins leached out, or maybe wild grass seeds, corn, certain roots, etc. That's what I use them for, and they do the job well!

BTW, parched corn is great stuff.

Corn that has been cooked over medium-high heat in a lightly-oiled heavy skillet is a traditional Native American "fast food". It also filled the bellies of pioneer men, women and children, trappers and well, just about everybody...not that long ago.

Parched corn is super easy to grind into grits sized particles (even with a bowl and a glass jar). As can be expected, it can be cooked like regular old corn grits, too!

It also makes a great snack or trail food, with a 'make-you-sigh' roasted corn flavor.

*Sharon reaches for her bag of parched corn*

I like it parched too, Sharon. I put it in a slow oven so I don't have to stand over it, stirring the pan while it parches. You can add parched corn or corn meal to nearly any dish to give it more flavor and stretch it out.

I use my Whisper Mill to grind the corn. There are manual grinders just for corn. You can get them on ebay. I also have a very old huge grinder with a wheel that can be hooked up to an exercise bike or to the PTO of a tractor or any motor that can accept a vbelt. I bet I could use the treadle of my sewing machine to run it too.

You need to check the corn before buying a large quantity. Ask the feed dealer if it is GMO. Usually they will not be selling GMO because it has to be kept separate from nonGMO grains. "Deer corn" in my local is used for feed and is clean. That is what I normally feed my animals and myself. If all you can get is not real clean, it can be cleaned by pouring it from one container to another in front of a fan. If it is really dirty, you can wash some in water and spread it out to dry before grinding. The hull will keep the corn from absorbing water unless you really soak it a long time. Usually you need lye in the water to get the hull off. What I've been buying has not needed to be cleaned.

Is this what you're talking about Trish? http://www.shop.com/Manual_Corn_Wheat_Flou...376455-p!.shtml

The corn I ended up getting came from my local food coop..so I know it is organic and is clean. It was a little more expensive than feed store corn but I get a 10% discount for buying it in bulk and a 16% discount on top of that for doing volunteer hours in the store.

There is an identical grinder on ebay for quite a bit less:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...op=1&fsoo=1

Then there is this one;

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BIG-HOPPER-CAST-...1QQcmdZViewItem

They look the same except one has a larger hopper. Shipping may be more or less depending on your location.

I haven't used either. Some people say they like them fine and others don't. There is also the corona brand. I expect any of them is better than two rocks! LOL

Trish - what does "GMO" mean?? Also, when you parch corn, are you talking about using dry kernels of corn or fresh, off the cob kernels? Please elaborate a little more about the process of parching, i. e. how hot, how long, how brown? Can it be stored long-term after parching?

GMO is genetically modified organism. GMO crops are engineered to tolerate really high doses of herbicides etc so have more chemicals in them. The genetics are also patented, so if you grow any of them out and the patent holder finds out, they can and will sue you. Best to avoid them.

Parching kills insect eggs and was an ancient method of keeping the grain usable for long periods. I don't think I would parch a lot for long term storage tho. It is so much easier to use a mylar bag and O2 absorbers.

I just spread the dried field corn on baking sheets and roast it in the oven till it is lightly browned. Do just a little at first and grind it after it cools to see how brown you want it. Parched, dried corn can be eaten without further cooking. The Indians would carry some ground parched corn with them for trail food.

Here is an interesting web site on parched corn:

(Thanks to Leah, this link has been fixed. However, I will also post the information in the Preserving forum so that it is preserved here, too.)

http://web.archive.org/web/20070711060334/...archedCorn.html

Edited by Cat
fixed link
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to argue with farmers that say their crops are organic. A farmer down the road 2 miles has his farm certified organic.

For the past 70 yrs he has spread the same fertilizer, the same manure, greased his equipment with the same grease and lost as much oil on the land as the rest of us. his ground is no more organic then the rest of our lands.

to get the land certified organic, all we have to do is take a bunch of samples out to the county agent for inspection, who knows where the samples came from.

I've seen many loads of veggies come into their farm from other areas, repackaged in a package that says organic, so the difference in those veggies is the package.

the real difference is the city people that are willing to pay a quarter for a carrot that says organic grown and a local person that is willing to pay a couple cents for the same carrot.

I've also seen super markets that have an organic section run out of an item and seen the produce gal just open a pack from the regular stuff and put it in the organic section..

all i'm saying is don't be fooled by all that fancy organic talk. everyone wants to eat good food but the only way you're guarenteed it has never been peed,walked on or spilled on a slimey floor, you would have to grow it your self.

the name of the game today is money, just look at the meat and other food recalls in the past few yrs.

I have hauled onions out of Arizona to Upstate NY where they were repackaged and sold as if they were grown locally.

the statue of limitations is over for this one and the inspector is dead now so here goes,, we had a smoke house and meat packing place down in the village for yrs(it's closed now) the government inspector would leave his stamp with the guys in the smoke house so they could inspect their own meat, then the inspector would go tend bar all day and get paid for both jobs..

StillSurvieving....it's these kinds of stories that motivate me to Grow My Own as much as possible. yuk Makes the hair on the back of my head stand up. I've seen enough to have no trouble believing this does happen.

CGA, I've been pondering this since you posted. This is the very thing many people could afford to do. Get just a few basics and maybe garden seeds for the rest. Even many Urban folks can grow some greens. Definitely not fancy and one would get pretty sick of the limited diet after what we're used to now. But its FOOD if it all goes very bad. 'Course I don't digest corn well at all...so I'd have to substitute. (Oddly, I don't have trouble with popped corn.) It's better, of course, to get the variety but starting with basics that will give you a great deal of calorie/nutritional count is important. Good thread.

MtRider

I can't do corn! So I'm storing oats and whole buckwheat.

Everyone who hasn't added seeds to their stores should put that on the list NOW!

(If you do a google search on front-yard gardening..you'll find a gold mine of info on how to integrate veggies and herbs into your front yard in a way neighbors won't think you've gone off your meds.)

Also, starting a bean cookbook will keep the bean and rice diet from being too boring. If you store beans, you must be using them--so learn to do all kinds of things with them besides just boil them. http://americanbean.org/soups-and-stews-bean-recipes/

http://americanbean.org/main-dishes-beans/

The americanbean.org site has tons of bean recipes, including desserts!