MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Feeding one person for a year $112.35

waveherbal. As for me, I love canning green beans, potatoes, and peas among other things. I use to do this years ago b/f I had to run our nursery and work other places. Now I have several rows of potatoes planted 2 weeks ago, and next week I will be planting green beans, greens, cabbage and my tomatoes I have in containers. will add other things as I can. But I will be trying to buy my peas this year, don't want to do to much my first year with a bad back. I am buying up lots of dried beans, rice, flour, meal, sugar/surejel (been scouting out all the huckleberry bushes full in bloom already). I hope when we go on our vacation I can locate some places along the way I can pick up some wheat if not too far out of our way. Really like to find some we can haul back ourself instead of ordering it. But as the garden comes in we will be canning mostly green beans, peas, and potatoes. And hopefully I will plant enough of other stuff to make some jars of soup. I may just put enough greens and okra in freezer for eating during the winter, and plant more greens and cut the okra partly down(so it can reproduce) to eat fresh greens and okra through the fall. haveniceday
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could can anything in the stores. Some folks get a great bargain on bags of frozen veggies and decided to can them. Cuz they don't want to have all of their stored food electric-dependent. Or they don't have the room in the freezer. Carrots seem to always be available for reasonable price, aren't they? How 'bout onions? Some apples go on sale. Pressure can meat?

Have you checked out the forum, Preserving the Harvest? Lots of canning ideas there. Dehydrator tips too. I've been dehydrating leftover celery if I think it's going to go to waste. ...which it seems to do rather too quickly! frown

Edited to add: Ah, I see you have found that forum and you have caught the bug canning Good for you!!!!! and welcome to the club! rahrah

MtRider

If your family enjoys soup, try canning your own. The next time you make chicken soup, make a huge pot and can the leftovers. It's much better than store bought.

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys been awhile tried alot of things and now I am on to tortillas simple thing but not for me...Well first thing from what I gather the corn tortillas with the pinto beans will provide the proper nutrients..Well cornmeal flour will not form into a ball its not happening .From what was posted here you treat it, has anyone done this and does this take all week to finish?I know you can buy it by the bag but Im wanting to be s elf sufficient and able to provide this for my family if needed.I have checked the net and it seems complicated needed to put this one under my belt so I can practise any help will be welcomed from experience thanks kindly

Here is a recipe. Corn tortillas are made with treated corn. THis tells you how to treat it. There is a grinder that is specifically made for nixtamal or you can prob use a corona hand mill if the food processor is not available.

Corn Tortillas

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2006

Show: Good Eats

Episode: TORT(illa) Reform

1 1/2 to 2 pounds Nixtamal, recipe follows

4 to 5 tablespoons lukewarm water

1 teaspoon kosher salt

Place the Nixtamal into the bowl of a food processor and pulse 10 to 15 times. Add 2 tablespoons of the water and pulse 8 to 10 times, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Add 2 more tablespoons of water along with the salt and pulse until a dough begins to form. If the dough is still dry and somewhat crumbly, add the remaining tablespoon of water and pulse several times. Turn the dough out onto the counter and shape into a ball. Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and allow to sit for 30 minutes. *You may also make tortillas from pre-ground masa flour following the directions on the bag.

Preheat a cast iron griddle over medium-high heat until it reaches 400 degrees F.

Divide the dough into 1 1/2-ounce portions, shape into balls, and keep covered with a damp tea towel.

Cut a 1-gallon zip-top bag in half and line the base of a tortilla press with the plastic. Place 1 ball at a time onto the press and top with the other half of the plastic. Close the press and push down firmly several times until the tortilla is flattened. Remove the plastic wrap from the tortilla and place onto the cast iron skillet and cook for 1 minute on each side. Remove the tortilla to a plate lined with a tea towel. Cover the tortilla with a second towel to keep warm. Repeat with all of the dough. Use immediately or store in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Nixtamal:

1 pound dried corn kernels, approximately 2 cups

6 cups water

1/2-ounce slaked lime* (commonly called cal), approximately 2 tablespoons

*Cook's Note: Both dried corn and slaked lime (cal) are available online and in most Latin markets.

Rinse the corn under cool water; drain and set aside.

Place the water and the lime into a 3 1/2 to 4-quart, non-reactive stockpot, set over medium-low heat, and stir to combine. Add the corn and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Make sure that it takes at least 30 to 45 minutes to come to a boil. Once the mixture comes to a boil, remove from the heat, cover, and allow to sit at room temperature overnight. Do not refrigerate.

Drain the corn in a large colander and rinse under lukewarm water for 5 to 6 minutes while rubbing the corn kernels between your fingers in order to remove the outer coating. Place the corn into a large bowl, cover with lukewarm water, and allow to soak for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse, and repeat. Use immediately to make masa dough for tortillas.

Yield: approximately 1 1/2 to 2 pounds nixtamal

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Inactive Prep Time: 12 hours

We use an old Corona to crack whole corn for the chickens, or to break up cracked corn for chicks. It is very fast and easy. It will not grind flour, though. My guess is that if you have a mill that says it grinds hard seeds like corn, but that it won't grind large seeds like corn, you need to run your corn through a cheap, fast mill like the Corona before you put it in the flour mill.

thanks again Im not sure where to buy this slaked lime I do live on a Island not alot of stores?How healthy is this I am a organic eater and this sounds hmmmmmmmmm interesting .I found some certified organic corn at the feed store in a big bag do you think this would be okay I heard somewhere a feed store is a good place to look?I guess it would be safe for people????Pickling lime or builders lime or slaked lime any info would be welcomed

Pickling lime or builder's lime is the same as slaked lime. Usually you can find pickling lime at a grocery that has canning supplies. You want calcium hydroxide, not calcium oxide. If I couldn't find pickling lime I would not hesitate to get the builder's lime from a lumber yard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hominy Made with Builder's Lime

8 cups dry dent corn

3/4 c hot builder's lime from lumber yard or DIY outlet

water

Put corn in large non-reactive pot (enamel or glass) with water to cover plus 2 inches over top of corn. Stir in the lime. Bring to a boil, and boil 45 minutes. Stir often to avoid sticking, and add water to keep corn covered. When skins of corn start to slip off, rinse corn in colander, rubbing kernels to remove the skins and lime residue. Rinse the cooking pot well, return clean corn to pot and cover with fresh water.

Cook another 2-3 hours until done. Eat as is, can or dehydrate.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello has anyone made masa flour from scratch?I have a few questions... after soaking the corn is the finished product white corn?My product isnt white saw this in a picture so need to check?Also after the corn is soaked does it need to be dried before grinding in a mill I would think so but all the recipes seem to say go right to making the flour?

thanks for getting back to me I am dammed to get this one under my belt...The grain mill I am using is back to basics grain mill not sure if this answers your question I had this in my emerg supply never have opened the box or used one of these things.Glad Im doing my learning now...................I couldnt get the handle on the mill think there is a problem should of gone through this when I bought it anyways Im pushing through I put the wet corn in and nothing would go through so I pushed it and no go never knew there was a special mill for masa.Do you think the masa would work the same if I dried the corn .thanks again for your help

Re: masa flour

If I vacuum seal the masa flour with my foodsaver, how long can I store it in my freezer?

If you are going to buy feild corn from the feed store, find out where it came from. If it was bought locally ask if it was open polinated. That would be alright to use. If you get commodity corn - came from commercial plots anywhere , it is probably/ most likely to be GMO . That means that the corn was genetically altered for Round-up = as "Roundup ready" corn. That is that the corn has round up in it. Round up is an herbicide. This means that if the corn feild is sprayed for weeds the corn will not be harmed sort of like a vacination for polio . Then there is Bt .Bt is a very good organic spray for the garden, it dissapatesin the air without harming you or the plants. However when it is genetically stored inthe corn it can not dissapate and can cause bad problems. For instance there are people wjo are using corn meall to kill ants. The only reason ants would die from cornmeal is because it has Bt in the corn. Most of the corn in production is GMO altered. Know what you are getting!!

Twilight

Wow Twilight, I never even thought about field corn being genetically modified! I've just been thinking about the fresh fruits and veggies in the market. Probably should think about wheat and oats too, huh?

furious Monsanto

Right, most commercial grains are modified. To make matters worse, rice has genes from human blood. this caused a great out cry and "they " said it was not in the US, however it is and has been found in some states in human food.

Supposeably all the GMO grains were for animal use .....In this day and age, we have to "live by faith" otherwise we could eat nothing that we did not grow ourselves.

Twilight

Bad handle design is a common complaint for the Back to Basics mill, if it's the one I'm picturing. White hard plastic, very vertical, with a flat handle instead of one that flares out to the side and lets you put some weight into your cranking?

The one I'm thinking of is not designed to break up large, hard grains like corn. In an emergency, you could put the corn in a pillow case and hammer it good, then put the hammered grains through your little mill.

• 3 weeks later...

Organic is lovely. Non-GMO is lovely. But EVERYTHING YOU BUY AT THE STORE IS GMO, unless you shop organic (and some of that probably is too, as pollen has a way of traveling on the wind a very long way sometimes). And so panic about GMO in a feed sack (and not buying it because it has ... gasp ... GMO grain) is rather pointless. You are eating GMO unless you are eating completely organic food now.

I think the point of this thread is that one can SURVIVE with a smaller investment than buying all organic grain prepackaged in lovely 5 gallon buckets lined with mylar and with oxygen absorbers, etc. Not everyone has the money to lay in a one year supply of organic grain in nifty 100-year storage.

For CHEAP grain that might keep you from pushing up daisies, this is a very sane investment. If you can afford better, GREAT! That's super! Do it!

But let's not sidetrack the concept of basic survival with GMO concerns. All the cr@p food at the grocery store is also GMO and has pesticide residues. Many people still shop at grocery stores and are at least for the moment, alive.

This thread is about survival preps at its cheapest and most basic, not at the absolute most pristine, organic, ideal.

Thankyou, Cowgirl, that is exactly the point. I know a lot of folks panic and don't know HOW they can have enough food for their families on a very tight budget. This is for them. This is how Mother always said people survived during the Great Depression and afterwards when they were too poor to buy anything. The folks in the South grew their own corn and beans and collards and that was what they ate.