MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lentils - must they taste like dirt?

This discussion was in the shout box...

NYDebbie] I have learned: dried lentils get huge! lentils are very bland

[Jewlzm] lol flavor your lentils

[NYDebbie] my lentil soup is a bland stew right now

[HSmom] I really don't care much for lentils. I can throw a small handful in a big pot of soup, but that's about it for me.

[x] [Leah] I think lentils taste like dirt! Did yours taste like dirt? I need to find out how to get them so they don't

[NYDebbie] I have them in a chicken broth w/onion/carrot/green bean and corn - they taste fine.

[Jewlzm] I mix lentils with my split pea soup and add them to stews

[x] [Leah] You don't just cook them like you would beans? Maybe they shouldn't be JUST lentils?

[NYDebbie] I figured they were more like dried peas and made a soup - except they got bigger then I thought

[Jewlzm] I never have had them by themselves. I have always added them to something else.

[x] [Leah] Can someone make a thread?

[NYDebbie] the directions said they cook in 20 minutes - beans take forever.

[Jewlzm] FM has a lentil loaf recipe.. and they had shown one on the news that adds the to "meatloaf"

-------------

Can you help? Must they taste like dirt?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been working my way through the dried beans and peas that my grocery store stocks. Happy from my recent cooking success with kidney beans(chili) and dried yellow peas(soup) I threw together a lentil soup.

I made chicken broth from last nights chicken breast bones. I ended up with about a quart or so of nice meaty broth. Not really looking at the directions on the lentil bags, I quickly rinsed and added 2 pounds of lentils to the pot along with onion, carrots, leftover corn and some spices.

Guess what? Lentils don't act like beans or peas. Lentils get about twice as big! Lentils are, I think, even more bland then beans or peas I now have about a gallon of lentil stew in my spaghetti sauce pot. 1 pound of dried lentils makes about what 2 pounds of dried peas or dried beans make.

So now I have this huge pot of soup/stew with a definite iron taste to it that I'm trying to spice up. I think I'll be freezing half of it.

The good news is my stew is apparently super nutritious:http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=52

Lentils taste like dirt??? Ummmmm...how well are you washing the lentils before cooking?

They may look clean, coming out of the bag, but if you dumped them into a bowl of water, you'll probably see they're not! You might find that they are quite dusty!

Rinse lentils (and all legumes) very very well. Pay attention also to the heavier gritty stuff that tends to settle at the bottom of the bowl.

Some brands are 'cleaner' than others; but otherwise normally 'clean' brands may have their 'dirty' days, too. So, rinsing them in a colander is a good habit to get into.

I love lentils because they are bland enough to adapt to just about any recipe...

...for instance, last night, I threw a couple of handfuls of lentils in a big pot of chili, as it was cooking. Adding the lentils boosts the nutritional value and also helps to stretch the volume of the chili, without affecting the flavor of the chili in a noticible way.

This is interesting...I'm trying my hardest to get to actually LIKE beans and lentils...only over the last couple of years have I developed somewhat of a taste for them.

(I know, I know, someone from NOLA who hates red beans & rice...it happens...)

Finally figured out it was mainly the "creamy" texture the locals around here go crazy over is what ruins them for me...

Keep the tips going...I'm gonna figure out the beans & lentils thing if it kills me...they're the one protein source that's actually cheap and with a long storage life.

So far, I find that I like my beans best "firm" and not overcooked; they acquire a "grainy" taste that I find yukky. Lots of seasonings (PCS, you know what I mean here) onion, peppers, celery, etc. etc. NOLA type seasonings...

Also, I like sausage/ham or both; I don't find they're the same with other "leaner" types of protein like chicken...maybe that's just me. I know that raises the fat content, but I haven't figured a way around that, taste-wise.

Keep the lessons coming!! Please?

I did a quick search here and found these:

(Where it's only a link you'll find LOTS!)

CURRIED LENTILS WITH SPINACH

1 c raw lentils

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 lb spinach leaves

1 (14 oz) can imported plum tomatoes, chopped, with liquid

3 Tbsp tamari (sesame paste)

2 tsp curry

1/4 fresh ginger

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

Wash, sort, and cook lentils until tender but firm. Heat oil in large skillet, and add garlic to sauté. Add spinach, and steam, covered. Add lentils and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer over very low heat 15 minutes. Serve over grains.

*Especially good over brown rice, couscous, or even mashed potatoes.

JANE BRODY'S LENTIL AND BROWN RICE SOUP

Brandy

5 c chicken broth, or more

3 c water, or more

1 1/2 c lentils, picked over and rinsed

1 c long-grain brown rice

1 (35 oz) can tomatoes, drained (save the juice) and chopped

3 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces

1 lg onion, chopped (1 c)

1 lg stalk celery, chopped (1/2 c)

3 lg cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)

1/2 tsp crumbled dried basil

1/2 tsp crumbled oregano

1/2 tsp crumbled thyme

1 bay leaf

1/2 c minced fresh parsley

2 Tbsp cider vinegar, or to taste

(optional) salt to taste

freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the broth, water, lentils, rice, tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer the soup, stirring it occasionally, for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the lentils and rice are both tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley, vinegar, salt, and pepper. If necessary, thin the soup with additional hot broth or water.

PREPARATION TIP: If this soup is made ahead to be frozen, stop after step 1 and add the parsley and seasonings after reheating.

NOTE: This is straight out of “Jane Brody's Good Food Book”. Served with hot whole wheat rolls and butter, it just doesn't get much better!

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...true#Post135574

~~~~

tomato lentil soup

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...true#Post116443

~~~~

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...true#Post111531

~~~~

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post59869

~~~~

SAUSAGE & LENTIL SOUP

1 pkg. lentils

1 lb. bulk sausage

1 lg. can tomato juice + same amount water

1 lg. can stewed tomatoes

Brown sausage and drain. Combine all ingredients in crock pot or large pan on stove. Simmer until lentils are tender. Serve with cornbread.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post46320

~~~~

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post18388

~~~~

GRANDMA'S LENTILS, ONIONS, AND BUTTERED TOAST

Lentils; up to you, but 1 cup raw = about 2 cups cooked

Onion, chopped; about 1 handful per cup raw lentils

Salt and Pepper to taste

Bread for toast

Put the lentils in a pot with a handful of chopped onions. Cover with water that is twice the amount of the lentils. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the lentils are soft, but not falling apart. Add hot water as the water level drops to the top of the lentils: you are not making soup, but a thick mass of cooked lentils. When lentils are close to done, add salt and pepper to taste.

Make some toast, butter it, and place on a plate. Scoop some hot, cooked lentils over the toast; sprinkle with a few raw, chopped onions and enjoy! Especially good on a cold day.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post19850

~~~~

10. Lentil "Wedding" Soup

Ingredients:

8 cubes of Herbox vegetable boullion

8 cups water

2 stalks of celery, cut into small pieces

1 small onion, cut into small pieces

1/2 cup of carrots, cut

1 cup of mushrooms with each mushroom cut in half

1 large clove garlic, diced

However much fresh spinach you like (more is better)

2 teaspoons sage

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 pound of acine de pipi or any pasta that can be used in soup

1 cup cooked lentils

Directions:

In a large pot, put the 8 boullion cubes in 8 cups of water. Bring water to a boil so that the boullion cubes dissolve. Then reduce heat to simmer. Add fresh spinach leaves, sliced, to the broth. Add pepper (preferably coarsely ground pepper) to the broth to taste.

In another pan, add oil, onion, celery, carrot, mushroom, garlic, and sage. Saute vegetables until onion is translucent. Add a little water (too little to measure) to the vegetables, and then add the mixture to the broth.

Add lentils to the broth. Cook the pasta, and then add the pasta to the broth. Let simmer for 20 minutes or so. The longer the soup simmers and sits, the more flavor the broth gets.

Serves: 9 bowls

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post17819

~~~~

6. Lentils and Rice

Ingredients

6 tablespoons olive oil

1 large white onion, sliced into rings

1 1/3 cups uncooked green lentils

3/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional)

Directions

1 Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions, and cook about 10 minutes, until browned. Remove from heat, and set aside.

2 Place lentils in a medium saucepan with enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 15 minutes.

3 Stir rice and enough water to cover into the saucepan with the lentils. Season with salt and pepper. Cover saucepan, and continue to simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until rice and lentils are tender.

4 Mix half the onions into the lentil mixture. Top with sour cream and remaining onions to serve.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post17636

~~~~

5. Lentil & Ham Stew

Serves: 6

Prep: 12 min

Cook: 7 to 9 hr on low

Cost Per Serving: $1.68

Gail of Peru, Illinois, loves slow-cookers because they’re such an efficient use of her kitchen time. “I can work, run errands or do other things without having to worry about when I need to stir, add ingredients and so forth.”

3 cups diced ham

2 cups dried lentils

2 cups each diced carrots and celery

1 cup chopped onion

1 Tbsp minced garlic

4 cups water

2 cans (10 1/2 oz each) condensed chicken broth

1 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

1 bag (6 oz) baby spinach leaves

2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Garnish: lemon slices

1. Mix all ingredients except spinach and lemon juice in a 31/2-qt or larger slow-cooker . Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours or low 7 to 9 hours or until lentils are tender.

2. Stir in spinach, cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in lemon juice.

Per serving: 426 cal, 37 g pro, 51 g car, 11 g fiber, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 41 mg chol, 1,758 mg sod

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post20700

bighug

We like red lentils better than the brown ones (or are they green?!). They're smaller, cook faster, and we like the way they taste.

Our favorite lentil meal:

1 onion, chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup green peppers, chopped

1-2 links chicken sausage, chopped

1 cup red lentils, rinsed

2 cups water

Brown onion and garlic in a skillet with a little oil. Add green peppers and sausage. After a minute or two, add the lentils and water. It should take about 15 minutes for everything to cook up nice. Serve over rice.

You can add some spices if you're in the mood. Curry powder's good, or italian seasoning depending on the type of sausage you used.

I don't have a recipe for lentils but have always cooked them with onion, carrot, and a small bit of celery choped up. Also its good to add a bit of bacon or sausage or ham. My father-in-law likes them cooked simply with salt for seasoning and a lot of black pepper. He eats them for breakfast quite often. Have never thought they tasted like dirt. I rinse all dried beans and such well before cooking. Experiment a little with seasonings.

I don't much care for lentils and have never eaten a dish that was primarily lentils. However, I think pinto beans taste "dirty" in recipes designed for 'beans' in general. I much prefer navy (white) beans.

As for sausage and the fat therein...I've purchased some sausage-flavored TVP. I've yet to try it, but my hope is that it's flavor will help along a lot of dishes - without extra fat & calories - and easy to store!

I found some of the red lentils to see if I like them better than the brownish ones you usually see.

$3.55 for a 1 pound bag (Arrowhead Mills brand) at Rouse's supermarket. eek

I just got one bag to see if I like them, because they're such a good longterm storage food, but I've gotta find a cheaper source than that. I couldn't find them in any of the other groceries. I didn't check the health food stores as they're always a lot more expensive than regular grocery stores.

I get my red lentils for .95 - $1.20 lb. thru Country Life Natural Foods (www.clnf.org). (a 25 lb bag is $23.75; 5 lb bag is 6.00)

Shipping is free when we pick up a $400 min. order that is trucked in by Country Life (to certain locations). A few of us co-op on the same order and save a ton of $$$$, on the great prices and no shipping.

If you live outside of their trucking zones, then the order goes UPS.

I really like lentils, but I didn't for MANY years. I think they taste best when cooked with LOTS of seasonings. Our faves here are cumin, cardamon or curry and ginger (all dried), then a fair amount of Garlic (DH LOVES garlic). I use veggie stock to cook them in and then add fried onions on top and serve it all over rice. YUM! yumyum

I also do a good lentil soup with carrots, celery, onions & garlic, some diced tomatoes, a little tomato sauce or paste, salt & pepper and a couple good shots of Tabasco.

I like lentils because they store so well and don't take long to cook. I tend to like the green ones better than the red ones, but that's just me.

Now, if I can just learn to like pinto beans, sigh. I can do kidney beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, black beans, dried peas and a few others, but I just can't deal with pinto beans and black eyed peas. They both taste like. . . well DIRT to me, lol. rofl

Hi all, new here.

I always wash my lentils, cook in chicken stock, and I have a recipe that is yummy cold and hot.

I boil the lentils in stock with salt, and toss with pepper, cilantro and fresh garlic (all to taste, I like a lot of all), and then goat cheese. It's really yummy, and nutritionally balanced.

• 2 months later...

lentils have a taste that quite a few people notice is 'different' than other beans. Adding a touch of an acid food helps cut the 'dirt' taste...any acid will do. My husband likes ketchup with his lentils, otherwise won't eat them. I toss in some lemon juice or white vinegar. you might give it a try. lentils are cheaper around here probably due to the fact they taste different. i LOVE lentils & rice with sauteed onions on top.

Well I am trying GRANDMA'S LENTILS, ONIONS, AND BUTTERED TOAST

from up there.^^^

I have 1 cup of washed fish gravel - I mean lentils, 2 cups of water and some chopped onions plopping away in a pan...

Lentils MUST be seasoned heavily to really be tasty. That's why curries are so heavily spiced smile You do have to wash them very thoroughly to get the dirt off. I think they are a must to store for survival foods since they have such a good shelf life.

I love red lentils and yellow dahl lentils. Split peas are also a lentil. Most of the lentils you buy are grown near Pullman WA smile We lived there when my DD was a baby.

Some info on lentils they are very nutritious and have lots of trace minerals as well which are needed for a balanced diet.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=52

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookv.../lentiltips.htm

Recepies:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/bllentils.htm

The lentils are cooked, and just a little bland as is - but not muddy tasting!

I made up a pound or so of banger sausage, fried that, and have mixed 2 cups of the cooked lentils and 1 cup of the fried sausage into a casserole and it is sitting.

It will be tasty, as I was standing at the stove eating spoons of the extra lentils and sausage!!!

I am shocked and amazed - I never thought those things could taste like anything but dirt!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

---------

This is what I did -

Lentil and Sausage Bake

1 cup lentils

2 1/2 cups water

1/4 - 1/2 onion, chopped

Wash the lentils, put in a quart pot with 2 cups of the water, and the chopped onion.

Simmer for 15 minutes. Check, if needed add the rest of the water to cover, and cook another 5 minutes, or until soft.

Set aside. It should yield about 3 cups lentils.

1 pound hamburger

1/4 tsp paprika

1/8 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp thyme

1/8 marjoram

1 tsp powdered sage

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp lemon pepper

1 tsp salt

Mix together and fry in a pan.

When meat is done, mix 2 cups cooked lentil mixture, and 1 cup cooked hamburger mixture.

Put in a small casserole.

Set aside and heat up for dinner.

-------

Hippie Dad said I should use chili powder instead of paprika. The original recipe said cayenne, but I didn't have any. (He ate it cold.)

• 6 months later...

Archived