MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Christmas shopping - love it or loath it..........?

Deblyn

Personally, I am not keen. I have done the shopping for the childrens' stockings and that was enough! The rest of the gifts this year will be home-made. There is also a lot to be said for mail -order!

It depresses me to see so many people lash out so much money for what is basically tat - unnecessary, often unwanted, unappreciated "gifts". I am not buying for my nieces and nephew this year, but sending a box of home-made sweets for the whole family to share. But I know that it won't be appreciated for what it is. I find that quite sad. I have put a limit on how much hubby spends on me this year, as it is usually far too much; I am quite sensible with the children as well.

My other bugbear at this time of year is the amount of food people pile into their trollies in the supermarkets - you'd think the shops were going to be closed for three weeks looking at the amount some people have. There is the token few veg for the Christmas dinner, but then it is all junk and rich food for the remainder. I'm sure a lot of it gets wasted, which upsets me too.

There, off my soapbox now. Thankyou for listening!

------------------

lowlander.jpg

I love Christmas shopping! A few years ago, we cut our gift-giving list down. It had gotten way out of control and was a chore to find the perfect gift for each one. Now Christmas shopping is so much fun!

I am not a shopper. I don't enjoy shopping and NEVER know what to get for anyone. I wish I could give the money to someone and they'd shop for me. A few years ago we started sponsoring needy families instead of buying for each other. Last year we went back to buying for each other and we all spent fortunes. We decided that was kind of silly (albeit fun) and are back to the needy families again this year.

As to the groceries, I'm afraid I'm one of those with the over flowing grocery cart. We have 20+ people around the table and that takes a lot of food. I'm a nut on never throwing food away so it's always used one way or another. If there's just too many leftovers to get through it goes in the freezer until later.

------------------

dee.jpg

I HATE CHRISTMAS SHOPPING! I just hate it!

We sponsor a couple of families who don't have alot of money, from the Church I belong to-- ( I didn't say I go) I just belong since childhood)and buy them dinner and gifts for their family. I would rather give than receive.

As for Christmas Dinner we usually eat after we get home from serving Christmas Dinner at the High School to Homeless and those wo can't afford dinner for their families. Its a community thing here.

I might cook a small turkey breast and repeat what we had for Thanksgiving Dinner but with smaller quantities and with cookies for dessert. I make a tray for us for the holidays and everyone picks on them during the day after we get home.

Now New Years Eve Dinner is a custom. We eat dinner at 3 am New Years day and then snack on leftovers later in the day.

I bake a ham and slice it for sandwiches, have baked beans, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, a tossed salad and some home made strawberry shortcake. The Ham, Potatoes, Beans, Corn on the cob and the shortcake are all roasted on the grill even in -10 weather.

------------------

reci.jpg

snoop2.gif