MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cookiejar

Fortifications Series:Guard Animals

Recommended Watchdog Breeds

Throughout history one of the most popular ways to enhance home security has been through the usage of trained dogs. However, in choosing which to dog to guard your family or property you should way different options carefully, depending on your particular circumstances.

Watchdog vs. Guard dog

One of the common misconceptions among dog owners is that watchdog is simply another name for guard dog. In essence, a watch dog acts as an alert, barking to warn occupants of approaching strangers. Many breeds of dogs, including miniatures such as Chihuahuas, may fit this role. A guard dog, on the other hand, possesses the physical capability to render a would-be assailant incapable of harming the dog's owner either through restraint or injury.

The article below contains lists of reccommended guard dogs.

http://www.homesecurityguru.com/recommended-watchdog-breeds

Many people have used other animals to alert and protect the home such as fowl (ducks, pea hens that scream etc.). The work and the care of a guard/watch animal is worth it to some folks for the good care they take of the home.

Do you use a guard animal? (Crabgrass Trish over here!)

Oh,yup! I have about 50 or so ducks that hang out around the front porch light all night and 8 geese who hang with em. Ducks and geese tend to be a bit skittish, particularly at night and the least disturbance sends them to the far end of the yard, quite noisily. My lovely Tom turkey has chosen the porch rail for his sleeping spot. Any slight noise and he gobbles loudly. And don't forget the guineas! They do NOT appreciate strangers in their territory and they let you know immediately. Day or night.

My geese are not aggressive but many breeds will actively try to chase strangers from their yard, honking and flapping their wings quite impressively. (I prefer a gentle breed so I have American Buff Geese.)

I also have a Great Pyrenees dog who guards "his" flock. He doesn't bark unless there is a reason.

Nobody gets into my yard without setting off my alarm system, night or day!

I ain't scared of no duck (I know what's coming Darlene lol). Actually, I think Geese, Turkeys, Guineas, even Peacocks would be cheap warning sirens that lay eggs. Dogs are certainly more defensive (and easier to love on) but birds make great intruder alerts.

When talking about warning systems, those birds would probably be more effective because of the "stealth" factor. Everyone knows that a dog is a potential threat. If I was going to attack a house, I would make sure the dogs were taken care out. But if the SHTF drove a bunch of gang bangers into the countryside looking to loot and pillage, they quite possibly would not be wary of the birds. Not to mention the number of birds, a bunch of missing birds are going to draw the owner's attention.

As for watch dogs, we like bigger dogs. We have a german shepperd mix and she is a great dog. Good with the kids and warns of strangers. And since she has that shepperd look, there's that intimidation factor, she wouldn't hurt anyone that wasn't threatening her pack, but she looks like she could.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.